• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round of 16 - Morocco (p) 0-0 Spain - Tuesday 6th December, 2022

football forum

• The topic was unpinned
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this would be a tough game for Spain and so it proved. Spain had more of the play, but they were anything but clinical. Spain are missing a top-class striker and the fact that Morata still leads the line, emphasises how lacking they are up front. I've never rated Morata, he misses far too many opportunities in front of goal. Morocco played with determination, and they created chances, just as Spain did. But when it eventually came to penalties, Spain were abysmal with their kicks. Credit to Morocco though, they advance to their first World Cup quarter finals ever and Hakimi with that Panenka kick, took them to the next round in style. Spain have to be one of the few teams that are worse at penalty shoot-outs than England.

1 hour ago, ASF said:

I actually wanted an Iberian clash in the quarters. Oh well.

Luis Enrique chose the first 3 takers. Apparently, Sarabia had never missed a penalty before. Such a bad time to miss his first.

Same here, that would have been a cracker of a match, but I would have favoured Portugal. They actually have strikers who are more clinical in front of goal.

Archived