talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pele Passes Away, Aged 82

football forum

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's sad. Whole era's are slowly passing. And becoming ever more difficult to compare to present day.

My earliest football World Cup memories (aside from England matches & stories) were of the Maradona-Pele discussion. Though they were not at the same time, the conversation was much like the Messi-Ronaldo one of modern times.

Pele was involved in all 3 of Brazil's first 3 World Cup wins. At 18 in 1958, 22 in 1962. Suffered a gap in 1966 apparently. And 3rd win in 1970 at 30. He spent nearly all of his career with Santos. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/12/2022 at 00:02, ASF said:

Shame.

In the space of two years, we could lose Maradona and Pele. The two best players of this game.

Yes, it's very sad. In fact, we've lost a lot of famous players in the last few years. We've lost several members of England's 1966 World Cup winning team in this period, the most recent loss being George Cohen's death a few days ago. But the passing of Maradona was a sad and significant occasion. If Pele passes away soon, there will equally be a huge mourning around the world for his loss. At this moment in time, things do not look good for Pele, as his cancer has progressed. Many of his family members have also gathered around him at the hospital he is at. Things do not look too promising, but we pray that he is able to get better.

On 04/12/2022 at 00:33, Reluctant Striker said:

Yes, it's sad. Whole era's are slowly passing. And becoming ever more difficult to compare to present day.

My earliest football World Cup memories (aside from England matches & stories) were of the Maradona-Pele discussion. Though they were not at the same time, the conversation was much like the Messi-Ronaldo one of modern times.

Pele was involved in all 3 of Brazil's first 3 World Cup wins. At 18 in 1958, 22 in 1962. Suffered a gap in 1966 apparently. And 3rd win in 1970 at 30. He spent nearly all of his career with Santos. 

Pele's world cup at 18 was remarkable really. He wasn't just part of the team, he was the genuine star.

In 1962, he was injured in the 2nd game and played no more part in the tournament. It's interesting how people give him credit for this one and completely ignore Garrincha. That poor fella(Garrincha) was always forgotten, he was even left abandonded when dying. They give credit to a man who played little part in it instead. 

in 1966, the Portuguese beat fuck out of Pele and he left the pitch injured, while Brazil bowed out in the groups. That was Portugal's best ever run funnily enough(third place finish), when Eusebio scored 9 goals.

Pele then vowed to never play in a world cup again due to the injury sustained vs Portugal in 66, but he luckily changed his mind before 1970 and well, everyone knows what happened there, the greatest Brazil team, or national team in general, of alltime.

He had some international career either way. Curiously he never won the Copa America, although I think himself and Maradona were iffy about playing in that. Even today, it's full of brutal fouls and shit you don't see in Europe anymore, so I can't imagine what it was like back then.

13 minutes ago, Bandito Burrito said:

It was an overstatement, didnt put enough research into it. Either way, the only good defender back then was beckenbauer, which he definitely didnt play againt back in santos, to conclude ; he was ahead of his time, but he wouldnt stand up to players today. he's top 5 for me though

The only good defender back then was Beckenbauer?

He wouldn't stand up to players today according to you, but you still place him in your top best 5 players of all time?

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

The only good defender back then was Beckenbauer?

He wouldn't stand up to players today according to you, but you still place him in your top best 5 players of all time?

Yes lmao, hes one of the goats for his stats, but not the goat because he played when football was less competitive

49 minutes ago, Bandito Burrito said:

Name me 5 good defenders from back then

he was ahead of his time but he was farming goals for 90% of his career, you'd see him scoring like 15 goals per game, no exagerations 

Bobby Moore

Giacinto Facchetti

Wili Schulz

Karl-Heinz Schnellinger

Hector Chumpitaz

Elias Figueroa

Jack Charlton

Valerey Voronin

Just to name a few.

18 minutes ago, Bandito Burrito said:

Yes lmao, hes one of the goats for his stats, but not the goat because he played when football was less competitive

He played at a time when football was much more physical. When forwards would get the S kicked out of them.

1. Messi

2. Maradona

3. Pele

4. Beckenbauer 

5. Johan Cruijff

6. C.Ronaldo 

7. Platini 

8. Zidane

9. Ronaldo Nazario 

10. Iniesta

11. Zico

12. Matthäus 

13. Maldini

14. Romário

15. George Best / Gerd Müller

From 1966 or so onwards. There's not enough material out there from before that, of players like Di Stefano, etc, but those who saw him have him down as the greatest of all, even elderly Barcelona fans will tell you. From what there is out there, it's evident he wasn't a normal player, but there just isn't enough. It's even the same with George Best for some reason,  although I still included him. He played more recently than Di Stefano or Puskas, but there is still a lack of material compared to others. Best seemed fucking incredible though. If I had lived him, I have a feeling that I'd have been a big fan of his and had him much higher on the list, despite playing for those cunts. @CaaC (John) will know more about him.

Ronaldinho was great, but his career was far too short. He was pretty much finished at 26, while the other players on the list(other than probably Best) were able to evolve in some way. Also Xavi was hard to leave out. Bobby Charlton and Moore also seemed class and Garrincha and Rivelino. I also loved Roberto Baggio as a kid and obviously Rivaldo was an absolute beast. Van Basten was another ridiculous talent.

I would also say there is little between my top 5(Messi, Maradona, Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruijff), those 5 for me are pretty much undisputed and the order would be about preference.

Edit: I've just realised I never mentioned even one full back or keeper. It's hard. You'd have to make an XI instead.

34 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

1. Messi

2. Maradona

3. Pele

4. Beckenbauer 

5. Johan Cruijff

6. C.Ronaldo 

7. Platini 

8. Zidane

9. Ronaldo Nazario 

10. Iniesta

11. Zico

12. Matthäus 

13. Maldini

14. Romário

15. George Best / Gerd Müller

From 1966 or so onwards. There's not enough material out there from before that, of players like Di Stefano, etc, but those who saw him have him down as the greatest of all, even elderly Barcelona fans will tell you. From what there is out there, it's evident he wasn't a normal player, but there just isn't enough. It's even the same with George Best for some reason,  although I still included him. He played more recently than Di Stefano or Puskas, but there is still a lack of material compared to others. Best seemed fucking incredible though. If I had lived him, I have a feeling that I'd have been a big fan of his and had him much higher on the list, despite playing for those cunts. @CaaC (John) will know more about him.

Ronaldinho was great, but his career was far too short. He was pretty much finished at 26, while the other players on the list(other than probably Best) were able to evolve in some way. Also Xavi was hard to leave out. Bobby Charlton and Moore also seemed class and Garrincha and Rivelino. I also loved Roberto Baggio as a kid and obviously Rivaldo was an absolute beast. Van Basten was another ridiculous talent.

I would also say there is little between my top 5(Messi, Maradona, Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruijff), those 5 for me are pretty much undisputed and the order would be about preference.

Edit: I've just realised I never mentioned even one full back or keeper. It's hard. You'd have to make an XI instead.

Incredible list

20. Van Basten

19. Baggio

18. Thierry Henry

17. Matthaüs

16. George Best

15. Platini

14. Gerd Müller

13. Xavi

12. Iniesta

11. Kaka

10. Zico

9. Ronaldinho (idk where hes gone on your list but he has to be somewhere :cardY:)

8. CR7

7. Garrincha

6. Beckenbauer

5. Pele

4. Messi

3. Yashin

2. Zidane

1. Maradonna

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Best seemed fucking incredible though. If I had lived him, I have a feeling that I'd have been a big fan of his and had him much higher on the list, despite playing for those cunts. @CaaC (John) will know more about him.

Memories of Best go back to my army days in 1974 and a tour of duty in Northern Ireland, on a foot patrol in East Belfast and passing Best's house there was a wee snotty-nosed kid standing there looking at us and then he said "Hello, I am Georgie Best's brother..." we all moved on after saying "Hi...", found out that was his wee brother Ian Best so we were told.

But I will always say Pele was the greatest for me and for footballers like Best and others around that time for the simple fact they had no wet weather football in them days, kicking and heading a football that was soaking wet was like heading or kicking a brick, no all-weather stadiums that could close up depending on the weather.

The skill of Pele and others was out of this world, moving around the wet or snowy pitch with the dribbling etc looking as if they were skating on ice.

Is he really in critical condition? Absolute shame. An inspiration for billions and truly the icon of the game. 

Thing that separates Pele and Di Stefano is that they both were decades ahead of their time. The were doing things with the ball that wasn't common until the 1980s and 90s. 

• The title was changed to Pele Passes Away, Aged 82

Archived