talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pele Passes Away, Aged 82

football forum

@Bandito Burrito Ronaldinho was my favourite player to watch at his best, but he stopped caring and didn't last long enough, unlike others who were able to evolve and play alot longer.

As for Di Stefano, as I mentioned, he was before the time period I made the list from. It was from around 1966 or so, from that period on is where you can find alot more footage and full games of players I've found.

29 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

The skill of Pele and others was out of this world, moving around the wet or snowy pitch with the dribbling etc looking as if they were skating on ice.

It's interesting how you never mention Diego Maradona. Is that because he was a cheating bastard with a nasty side, or would you genuinely not rank him up there for talent?

9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Is he really in critical condition? Absolute shame. An inspiration for billions and truly the icon of the game. 

Yeah, he doesn't look great to be honest. It's sad.

He's like Muhammad Ali in boxing, the biggest iconic figure in his sport.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

@Bandito Burrito Ronaldinho was my favourite player to watch at his best, but he stopped caring and didn't last long enough, unlike others who were able to evolve and play alot longer.

As for Di Stefano, as I mentioned, he was before the time period I made the list from. It was from around 1966 or so, from that period on is where you can find alot more footage and full games of players I've found.

It's interesting how you never mention Diego Maradona. Is that because he was a cheating bastard with a nasty side, or would you genuinely not rank him up there for talent?

Yeah, he doesn't look great to be honest. It's sad.

He's like Muhammad Ali in boxing, the biggest iconic figure in his sport.

people are saying hes dead

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Ever since the drug disclosure I always thought that maybe he was taking drugs back then that enhanced his performance so yes, that did influence me and I don't rate him.

Where do Brazilians rank Zico? @El Profesor He is unfairly ignored because of a lack of world Cup for me.

It seems like being Brazilian or Argentine means you have to win a World Cup or you can be somewhat forgotten.

The pressure Zico had of having to live up to being the so called "White Pele" was unfair.

Similar to Messi for Argentina to be honest. Told he needed to win a World Cup to be compared to Maradona. Unneeded pressure. A player should be left to make their own mark.

38 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Where do Brazilians rank Zico? @El Profesor He is unfairly ignored because of a lack of world Cup for me.

It seems like being Brazilian or Argentine means you have to win a World Cup or you can be somewhat forgotten.

The pressure Zico had of having to live up to being the so called "White Pele" was unfair.

Similar to Messi for Argentina to be honest. Told he needed to win a World Cup to be compared to Maradona. Unneeded pressure. A player should be left to make their own mark.

Very high, way higher than in the rest of the world. Zico is the best player in the history of Flamengo, which is the most popular football club in the country. He is a legend no doubt about it, especially considering the role he had in making football a more popular sport in Japan. Zico also gets points for being part of the legendary 1982 team. 

18 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Very high, way higher than in the rest of the world. Zico is the best player in the history of Flamengo, which is the most popular football club in the country. He is a legend no doubt about it, especially considering the role he had in making football a more popular sport in Japan. Zico also gets points for being part of the legendary 1982 team. 

Zico was incredible, yet kids nowadays rank CR7 above him because 'cr7 has flair'

18 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Interestingly, people actually speak more about the Brazil 82 side than the Italian team that actually won the World Cup that year.

It's actually a shame that team never won it, or the Dutch side of 74 and 78.

The Germans had to go and ruin the Dutch's party in 74, like they seem to do with everyone, I.e Messi in 2014, Maradona in 1990, they made a show of Brazil in their own backyard in 2014 with the 7-1, it took England about 70 years to beat them.... It's always the bloody Germans who have to ruin it for everyone.

3 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Interestingly, people actually speak more about the Brazil 82 side than the Italian team that actually won the World Cup that year.

It's actually a shame that team never won it, or the Dutch side of 74 and 78.

The Germans had to go and ruin the Dutch's party in 74, like they seem to do with everyone, I.e Messi in 2014, Maradona in 1990, they made a show of Brazil in their own backyard in 2014 with the 7-1, it took England about 70 years to beat them.... It's always the bloody Germans who have to ruin it for everyone.

There are so many examples of countries that were very unlucky with the world cup

France, they got to the final 4 times and lost twice, even though in the games they didnt play bad (and in one case had the other side cheat on them)

The Netherlands got into the final thrice, but never won. They got close in 74 and 78 like you said, but i think in '10 they were the unluckiest. Casillas that lucky bastard

Belgium too, unsure if they ever got to a final though:coffee:

On 26/12/2022 at 12:28, Carnivore Chris said:

1. Messi

2. Maradona

3. Pele

4. Beckenbauer 

5. Johan Cruijff

6. C.Ronaldo 

7. Platini 

8. Zidane

9. Ronaldo Nazario 

10. Iniesta

11. Zico

12. Matthäus 

13. Maldini

14. Romário

15. George Best / Gerd Müller

From 1966 or so onwards. There's not enough material out there from before that, of players like Di Stefano, etc, but those who saw him have him down as the greatest of all, even elderly Barcelona fans will tell you. From what there is out there, it's evident he wasn't a normal player, but there just isn't enough. It's even the same with George Best for some reason,  although I still included him. He played more recently than Di Stefano or Puskas, but there is still a lack of material compared to others. Best seemed fucking incredible though. If I had lived him, I have a feeling that I'd have been a big fan of his and had him much higher on the list, despite playing for those cunts. @CaaC (John) will know more about him.

Ronaldinho was great, but his career was far too short. He was pretty much finished at 26, while the other players on the list(other than probably Best) were able to evolve in some way. Also Xavi was hard to leave out. Bobby Charlton and Moore also seemed class and Garrincha and Rivelino. I also loved Roberto Baggio as a kid and obviously Rivaldo was an absolute beast. Van Basten was another ridiculous talent.

I would also say there is little between my top 5(Messi, Maradona, Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruijff), those 5 for me are pretty much undisputed and the order would be about preference.

Edit: I've just realised I never mentioned even one full back or keeper. It's hard. You'd have to make an XI instead.

Thought you rated Iniesta higher than Zidane? I do. 

• The title was changed to Pele Passes Away, Aged 82

Archived