• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Quarter-Final - Croatia (p)1-1 Brazil - Friday 9th December, 2022

football forum

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I agree. The Rodrygo miss really set the tone. It never felt possible to reach Croatia, especially because Alisson isn't good at saving penalties.

Was Neymar shitting it or was he hoping to take a winning penalty to be a hero?

• The title was changed to Quarter-Final - Croatia (p)1-1 Brazil - Friday 9th December, 2022
3 hours ago, 6666 said:

Brazil's midfield needs work. One of Neymar or Vinicius needs to accept playing on the right with the other on the left. Then have Bruno Guimaraes in midfield.

The manager doesn't seem to like Bruno,  I think they needed someone like Joelinton, a  high energy battering ram. 

As talented as Brazil are, and some would argue they are the most talented national team, they are frustrating as anything to watch in the big games. Their technical and dribbling skills are phenomenal at times and so is their movement. But they dally with the ball way too long in defence, which on many occasions sees them give away possession in dangerous positions. They are also way too slow on the counterattack for me. Because of the way that they play against the stronger opponents, it actually takes them world class goals like Neymar's goal today to score. Where they literally have to take on a pack of defenders full on to score.

Croatia defended in numbers for the most part, but their passing was impressive, and their positioning was immaculate for long periods. They also battled to win the ball to save their lives, and they counter attacked in numbers. They played as a real team should do. Some could say they got lucky today, but I think they made their own luck. Neymar's goal for Brazil in extra time, should have sealed the win for Brazil. But the Brazilians had carelessly gotten caught out on the counterattack by the Croats, as Petkovic found the equaliser.

Once it went to penalties, I knew that Croatia would win. They still had penalty experts Modric and Perisic on the pitch, and their manager had also brought on 5 attacking players as substitutes during the match, in Vlasic, Majer, Petkovic, Budimir and Orsic. The Brazil manager's substitutions weren't so impressive in my opinion. In the end, Livakovic saved Rodrygo's first penalty for Brazil and then Croatia would go on to score all of their penalties to book themselves a place in the semi-finals. 

5 hours ago, Machado said:

I did think taking Vinicius out so early was a mistake too.

You want that kind of player in later stages of the game where it's more chaotic.

I think that some of Tite's substitutions were very questionable. I also agree that Vinicius should have been kept on.

If we and Spain could join forces to build a team to play, we would be unbeatable. 

Spain has the midfielders we don´t have, Brazil has the forwards Spain doesn´t have. 

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

Fair enough. Based on the eye test, I wouldn´t say he is good at it. 

7 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

If we and Spain could join forces to build a team to play, we would be unbeatable. 

Spain has the midfielders we don´t have, Brazil has the forwards Spain doesn´t have. 

Fair enough. Based on the eye test, I wouldn´t say he is good at it. 

That's very true, Morata has to be the most overrated striker playing at a high level. Combining Spain's midfield with Brazil's forwards, would form an extremely strong team.

• Subscriber

Brazil's system looks more naive the more I think about it. Two false 10s essentially behind a front three. Too many players being shoehorned in. You can have too much of a good thing. Great when it clicks but always had the possibility to go wrong against a well organised side.

10 minutes ago, Waylander said:

I'm going to spoil the party here, with exception of Vicinius Junior I don't rate the Brazilian forwards.

I think Richarlison, Raphinha and even Gabriel lack the qualities for great forwards.

I don't even rate Vinicius that highly. Very suspect end product, but lots of pace, a great dribbler. 

Raphinha would be the best name there for mine. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived