talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Quarter-Final - England 1-2 France - Saturday 10th December, 2022

football forum

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve gotta say if Morocco went on to win this then that’d be great for football, but failing that, a Messi World Cup win or Croatia getting a big win at the end of what has been a golden generation for them would be great.

Missed most of the second half but just saw a substitution was made in the last minute for England. Burning their own time?

France seem to have an easier time scoring goals, and they don't choke in front of the goal. Something about not being afraid of winning so they say.

France also have players that seem to overperform internationally. In 2018 they had Pogba channeling Ronaldinho, now Griezmann is prime Iniesta?

• Subscriber

I tipped France from the off winning it but just imagine if the final was Croatia v Morocco, all the so-called football media experts around the world would shrink in their megabuck media out let's work for not getting it right. 

Personally, I would love a Croatia v Morocco final and Croatia winning it as I have a close friend who follows them. 

I am backing Morocco now to upset all the odds and win the trophy. They play to their strengths and so far it has worked brilliantly. Wins over Belgium, Spain and Portugal are results that supposed more fancied sides could only dream of, and no opposition player has scored against them during their run to the semis. So why shouldn't they go all the way and do what seemed the impossible. After all, it is close to Christmas, the season when many hope their dreams may come true.

Southgate has to go now, it’s shouldn’t even be a debate. 

His record will show some sort of success, but when you look at the teams England have went out to, it’s always at the first sign of real adversity. 

Bringing on Rashford late and then that fucking Grealish sub that done nothing but waste time that they didn’t have both showcase his fucking stupidity. 

9 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The world cup is a french eurocentric establishment, and Kane knows that Brexit means Brexit

‘ate foreigners (not racist just dont want em ‘ere)
’ate liberals
’ate maggie thatcher
’ate corbyn and labor
’ate tories n boris

luv pints
luv me mrs
luv pies
luv brexit
luv scallywagbogemshire FC

simple as

35 minutes ago, Spike said:

’ate liberals
’ate maggie thatcher
’ate corbyn and labor
’ate tories n boris

luv pints
luv me mrs
luv pies
luv brexit

simple as

Ban this man, I can’t take the ridicule its too close to the bone.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Spike said:

’ate liberals
’ate maggie thatcher
’ate corbyn and labor
’ate tories n boris

luv pints
luv me mrs
luv pies
luv brexit

simple as

3 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Ban this man, I can’t take the ridicule its too close to the bone.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47b786qrbqerkvqusi7k

Personally, I thought that the ref had a mare. At least two more pens that England should had (the one on Kane and a foul on Bellingham in the second-half) and clear fouls weren't whistled. Should never referee a game again. Details that make it that bit harder to overcome opponents with the quality of France.

England deserved more.

33 minutes ago, ASF said:

Personally, I thought that the ref had a mare. At least two more pens that England should had (the one on Kane and a foul on Bellingham in the second-half) and clear fouls weren't whistled. Should never referee a game again. Details that make it that bit harder to overcome opponents with the quality of France.

England deserved more.

From the referee yes, but in terms of open play not so much.

On 09/12/2022 at 23:37, Lucas said:

I still feel sick anytime I watch that Euro '04 game when we were 1-0 up against these and lost 2-1 to two Zidane 90th min goals.

My gut honestly says we're come up short. I just think whilst we've done well, we've not really had anyone that's exposed our weaknesses yet. I thought Senegal might be tougher but they were timid.

This is where you find out just how good a side you are at the business end of tournaments. It's about time we beat a top level side we're considered underdogs against. This is probably our best chance with the personel we got.

In all my lifetime watching England, something just always seems to go wrong. I just hope we find something from somewhere because it feels like this tournament could be anyone's now.

And it did. Knew it.

Pretty gutted tonight, not as gutted as Euro 96 or last year's Euro's because France were expected to win, it just didnt play out as we thought and we actually had the game in our grasp.

Don't want to dwell on the officials but we've seen some very generous pens awarded (Ronaldo and Messi amongst some) and yet a player gets clear physical contact from behind and it's no pen. Ironic as we've had two tonight but thats a reflection on how much we panicked France. To miss two fouls in the build up to France's first was frustrating as well but it happens.

I don't know what the reason was but I also can't understand with the second pen why Hernandez stays on? He's the last man, surely he goes? Are they saying Mount doesnt have the ball at his feet or is there some bullshit rule where you can't punish a team twice still?

Did we play well enough to win? We were the better side, had we won I think most would have said we'd deserved it. We just can't get over that winning line. Needed conviction when it counted. France are bred to win, they know they have escaped that game and seen out the difficult moments but equally, they always believed when they got a chance they could win it. Winners mentality.

Did we? Did we really? Not sure.

You can't ask for a better chance than a semi v Morocco and a final against either Croatia or Argentina. But it wasn't meant to be. It never bloody is sadly.

But at least we didn't go out under a sub par performance. It's the first time we've really dominated a game against a team of that magnitude, it was just a combination of bad luck and not being quite clinical enough in the right moments.

1 hour ago, ASF said:

England deserved more.

Kane foul was outside the box.

3 hours ago, Rick said:

Southgate has to go now, it’s shouldn’t even be a debate. 

His record will show some sort of success, but when you look at the teams England have went out to, it’s always at the first sign of real adversity. 

Bringing on Rashford late and then that fucking Grealish sub that done nothing but waste time that they didn’t have both showcase his fucking stupidity. 

I don’t even like Southgate, but I can’t agree with this. The one time this World Cup I thought “typical Southgate” was the draw against the US. And that draw basically guaranteed our qualification so… I don’t blame him for playing it safe there.

England played well today, France are just very good. I was pleased to see us up against a big side and we weren’t just completely outclassed. Over 90 minutes we were the better side, but France’s keeper was great and France have a lot of quality. That first goal was a stunner & Giroud’s having a great tournament.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t even like Southgate, but I can’t agree with this. The one time this World Cup I thought “typical Southgate” was the draw against the US. And that draw basically guaranteed our qualification so… I don’t blame him for playing it safe there.

England played well today, France are just very good. I was pleased to see us up against a big side and we weren’t just completely outclassed. Over 90 minutes we were the better side, but France’s keeper was great and France have a lot of quality. That first goal was a stunner & Giroud’s having a great tournament.

He's right about the shitty subs and first real adversity thing. 

Lost to Belgium twice and Croatia last WC, lost to the first decent team you played in the Euro, just happened to be Italy in the final. Lost to the first decent team you played again this WC.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived