talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Quarter-Final - England 1-2 France - Saturday 10th December, 2022

football forum

I don't think much blame can be laid at Southgate's door for this one. I do agree the Sterling sub was a strange one but in terms of formations and tactics I thought he got it right.

France just have better players and took their chances when they came about. 

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

He's right about the shitty subs and first real adversity thing. 

Lost to Belgium twice and Croatia last WC, lost to the first decent team you played in the Euro, just happened to be Italy in the final. Lost to the first decent team you played again this WC.

I agree with the shitty subs & I’d agree about the France thing if we’d done what we did against Italy and Belgium - which is basically just play like how his Middlesbrough would have done against Arsenal or United at the time.

But against France we played well & statistically had one of the better performing sides in the tournament. It’s not like Roberto Martinez fumbling around with Belgium for years because England actually played like a good team against another good team - which I’m not sure can be said against Belgium unless you include when they beat England xD

A bigger problem for whoever is England manager is: that midfield. Aging Henderson was needed to hold the midfield together against sides that weren’t a bizarrely weakened Iran side in this tournament. I think Bellingham has so much quality and potential and he’ll probably be better in 4 years. I don’t really rate Rice… at all. Mount is just the bargain bin version of Lampard. I guess the hope is Pep works some magic on Phillips.

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, Stan said:

:(

There is something fundamentally wrong with giving people a keyboard and a soap-box with no rules and this is one of them. I am all for being upset about what happens to your national team but you have to understand that those players were just as gutted as the fans last night and this is the last thing anyone needs at any point of their lives. Saka missed a penalty and took a lot of shit and yesterday, for no fault of his own, he gets this rubbish as well. Some people think that they'd do better, as if.

11 minutes ago, Devil said:

Saka was one of our best players.

I hate the fact these idiots have a platform to spout their vile thoughts.

One of the best things about the internet is anyone can easily publish their thoughts and broadcast it to shitloads of people.

and one of the worst things about the internet is anyone can easily publish their thoughts and broadcast it to shitloads of people.

I think social media companies need to be held more responsible for cracking down on shit like that.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

One of the best things about the internet is anyone can easily publish their thoughts and broadcast it to shitloads of people.

and one of the worst things about the internet is anyone can easily publish their thoughts and broadcast it to shitloads of people.

I think social media companies need to be held more responsible for cracking down on shit like that.

Considering the owner of the one above is all about the shit show I can't see that happening anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Why?

I just don't understand the mentality of people, especially as I thought Saka was one of England's best players in this World Cup.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

https://www.instagram.com/samcf348/

That guy really based his whole profile on being a racist cunt. Reported all of his posts and his account several times. But knowing Instagram and Facebook, they won't do anything about it. 

Think that's a given unfortunately. Far too busy finding ways to make more money without thinking of some common decency.

43 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Unfortunately, the above is why I'm not a huge lover of social media as a whole. Other than Facebook (which I only have to stay connected with old school mates), I don't have any other accounts as they're all a load of shite and full of cunts hiding behind a keyboard.

I know it's not what your post is about fully. Just wanted a mini rant.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Was voted as England's player of the year and was probably our best player yesterday but unfortunately these types of dickheads are just gonna be dickheads. Some watch international football specifically for xenophobia driven nationalism. It doesn't matter that he's one of England's most consistent players.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree with the shitty subs & I’d agree about the France thing if we’d done what we did against Italy and Belgium - which is basically just play like how his Middlesbrough would have done against Arsenal or United at the time.

But against France we played well & statistically had one of the better performing sides in the tournament. It’s not like Roberto Martinez fumbling around with Belgium for years because England actually played like a good team against another good team - which I’m not sure can be said against Belgium unless you include when they beat England xD

A bigger problem for whoever is England manager is: that midfield. Aging Henderson was needed to hold the midfield together against sides that weren’t a bizarrely weakened Iran side in this tournament. I think Bellingham has so much quality and potential and he’ll probably be better in 4 years. I don’t really rate Rice… at all. Mount is just the bargain bin version of Lampard. I guess the hope is Pep works some magic on Phillips.

Considering our midfield options Phillips has to be our #6 going forward. If you gave me two types of players to immediately improve the team I’d say a Busquets and Eriksen, a protector of the defence with passing ability and someone to dictate play from deep with Bellingham working off of them. Strong midfield options are what we need now and I’m not sure where Gallagher comes into that.

It was an entertaining game yesterday evening, even though it didn't end how most of us would have wanted. To be fair though, I think the best team won on the night. France scored 2 goals from open play, we scored from a penalty and then missed the 2nd penalty we were given. Both sides had chances, but I think that it's fair to say that the French deserved to win. France are my favourites to win this World Cup, although I'd like to see Argentina win it, for Messi's sake and as a tribute to Maradona, who only died 2 years ago.

I don't blame Southgate too much for the loss either, as he did ok with the players he had at his disposal. This England team is still a quality side in my opinion. With classy young players such as Foden, Bellingham and Saka, I think that the team still has a very bright future.

Think some tough decisions need to be made personally.

Is Southgate really capable of winning a tournament? I just don't think he is. We've lost the three biggest games when it's mattered sadly.

I think our problem as a nation is we're too nice, we seem content to accept losing when we feel we've done better than expected. Semi's in Russia, Final of Euro's last Summer, Quarters against the World Champs yesterday.

But for me, the bar is set too low. Why are we happy to keep accepting these defeats? The performance was decent yesterday and we were unlucky but we still always come up short.

We are a power nation with the biggest league and a pretty gifted pool of players to use, failure should now be measured by not winning a trophy.

Croatia, Italy and an average France. It's not a good track record to have lost all three and perspective needs to be had when you consider out of the last three tournaments the way its panned out beautifully for us, we've missed a massive chance to win something three times. 

Southgate gains credit amongst the public for achieving a better tournament record than recent others but you have to look at the talent we have and say, are we maximising it to its full potential?

My worry is looking back in 8-10 years like with the early 00's team and thinking, how the fuck did we not win anything with those players? It just has a whiff that could happen again and I think the FA need to think long and hard now about whether they give him another chance or whether they dare to flip the script.

I'm not saying it'll definitely work by the way, but I'd rather try a new approach and go big than just keep accepting mediocrity.

• Subscriber

If Thomas Tuchel has genuinely put himself forward for the England job then we are absolute fools to pass it up. The bloke's not only got the credentials, a proven winner, but he's also done it in a situation where he really had to put something together with the tools he inherited much like you do at international football. He's a better cup manager than league manager. He's been a winner. He could get England over the line. Go and get him before Germany do.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived