talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Quarter-Final - England 1-2 France - Saturday 10th December, 2022

football forum

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m torn on the formation, I think its good to stick with what has worked, especially with the midfield three recently. But France can absolutely tear us apart at will if we play a back four and the game could be over very quickly.

With that said about France, I do think they are very gettable defensively and I wasn’t particularly impressed by the team cohesion off the ball versus Poland.

I would probably go for the following:

Pickford

Trippier - Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw

Henderson - Bellingham

Sterling/Rashford - Kane - Foden

England can hurt this French team.

Kounde is a liability, so I think England could use to their advantage that flank to trouble France.

History between the two is also on England's side.

1-1, with England winning in penalties.

Probably going to get up at 3 to watch this or try catch a replay. Reckon it will be either an absolutely high quality battle with some entertaining forward play or a nervous affair.

Both attacks can seriously hurt average defences, so could be a good one...

I think I'd like to see England keep the 4-3-3. Changing in the past didn't mean too much, when losing to Iceland 2016 was still so recent. Changing now would say more to the opposition who surely must be expecting their biggest challenge so far. And Poland showed exactly why playing ultra cautious will likely fail. England 2022 should be looking to prove they are not comparable to Poland.

French papers confidently think it's time to eat lion (?) and that those who think it has been easy for France so far may change their mind on Saturday. Frank Leboeuf is pretty much licking his lips on ESPN YouTube clips. I can honestly see why. Also, French analysts I've heard.. they fear Rashford. I seem to remember he dumped out PSG a couple of seasons back. Pity he's at United really.

I am predicting & bracing for the Dr Peppers worst that could happen. Totally ready to see the best. And we just might do it if Southgate realises that midfield 3 can be good against the better teams. Who will likely be carrying a lazy luxury in midfield.

I would like to see Rashford too, think he is not only quick yet not easily brushed off the ball by bigger defenders.

Also I would prefer a 4-3-3 and surely one of the MFs will be asked to support the right back when the French have possession.

14 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Seeing how the knockouts have played out if England win tomorrow it will really test my moral compass.

Have you stuck to your guns and missed the lot so far?

How do you feel about watching tomorrow?

I still feel sick anytime I watch that Euro '04 game when we were 1-0 up against these and lost 2-1 to two Zidane 90th min goals.

My gut honestly says we're come up short. I just think whilst we've done well, we've not really had anyone that's exposed our weaknesses yet. I thought Senegal might be tougher but they were timid.

This is where you find out just how good a side you are at the business end of tournaments. It's about time we beat a top level side we're considered underdogs against. This is probably our best chance with the personel we got.

In all my lifetime watching England, something just always seems to go wrong. I just hope we find something from somewhere because it feels like this tournament could be anyone's now.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Lucas said:

I still feel sick anytime I watch that Euro '04 game when we were 1-0 up against these and lost 2-1 to two Zidane 90th min goals.

My gut honestly says we're come up short. I just think whilst we've done well, we've not really had anyone that's exposed our weaknesses yet. I thought Senegal might be tougher but they were timid.

This is where you find out just how good a side you are at the business end of tournaments. It's about time we beat a top level side we're considered underdogs against. This is probably our best chance with the personel we got.

In all my lifetime watching England, something just always seems to go wrong. I just hope we find something from somewhere because it feels like this tournament could be anyone's now.

I was in tears at that game, as well as Portugal in the quarters. Easier times. Never been quite the same I don't think xD

I think England lose this as France are simply a bit better and have the credentials. England are a good side who've got a terrible track record in games like this. I hope the coaching staff aren't as focused on Mbappe as the public are. Giroud, Griezmann and Dembele are all having good tournaments as well. Tchouameni starts for Real Madrid these days, Rabiot is underrated in this country. Never been a fan of Upamecano but the bloke starts for these and Bayern.

England are really due to win a game like this. It's a bit of a definer I think. Win this and England are building serious credentials to finally win a tournament. Lose it and it's hard to shake the notion we're the ultimate trat-track bullies.

To be fair though, when we have beat Senegal, Germany etc, people always say "oh, we got lucky because those teams played crap" rather than "we played really well and nullified them" so we can't really win at the moment.

That doesn't mean I think we will or we won't beat France but we never actually get credit for going far in tournaments. 

England are 1 of those sides where, despite any suggestions otherwise, we are their 'local derby' style rival. Or one of their top couple. I don't think that helps us with picking up less likely wins.

40 years ago England did beat France 3-1 in the Espana 82 World Cup group stage. With 2 goals from Bryan Robson. But it was a long time before defending became a seriously coached, professional occupation. And a long time before France went all Manchester City on everyone.

England are better than Switzerland & even Zidane used to physically throw up before taking penalties against England.

• The title was changed to Quarter-Final - England 1-2 France - Saturday 10th December, 2022
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived