talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham Hotspur Discussion

football forum

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

The fact they've managed to be in some sort of anomalistic mix doesn't mean they're contenders in real terms.  The only side that have evolved to be real contenders (authentic ones) are Liverpool.  You can genuinely see them giving Manchester City (when the Manchester based club are thinking and still participating in the Champions League) headaches and maybe even more because they've become that good and that genuine.  That's a contender... An authentic contender!

Look... I don't want to batter Spurs with an Arsenal fan's funny stick, I'm not that kind of guy and in reality (although sometimes it may not seem so on here), I've matured and enjoy football in a more organic and a more humanely enjoyable manner.  But they ain't no contenders, I don't remember them being genuine contenders for the title in... (I feel embarrassed because to be honest, they may have been contenders in my lifetime but I swear to you, I now don't remember when that was) many generations.  As 6666 said, they had that campaign where Leicester City won the title where until the final month they were in it and WE... YES WE... ARSENAL in our decomposing state managed to finish runners-up in that very very odd Premier League season.

Spurs haven't been contenders (genuine) on your and probably my lifetime mate.  They have become much much better and I think we can muster up a debate in real terms where I can agree with you with the fact Tottenham Hotspur have become a more serious team in recent years.  But contender?  For what?

Tottenham are two points off of City and have looked consistently quality all season. I’m not saying they’ll take it to a final day showdown, but writing them off is mad seeing as there’s little difference between them and Liverpool.

7 minutes ago, Danny said:

Tottenham are two points off of City and have looked consistently quality all season. I’m not saying they’ll take it to a final day showdown, but writing them off is mad seeing as there’s little difference between them and Liverpool.

I get that mate.  Let's see come the final moments of this campaign.  I can easily be wrong, but for me the genuine title contenders with the obvious Machester City, are Liverpool.  There's something about them.  They have matured and are now real.

• Subscriber
On 24/12/2018 at 18:01, 6666 said:

They were the main competitors against Leicester for the title to be fair. Somehow ended up third in that two horse race which was very Spurs. xD

It really is easy to make fun of people that treat Tottenham like they've done a lot. In reality they've just gotten to the level getting top 4 regularly.

This is the biggest myth in football. Arsenal were top half way through the season not us, we were never in this, if anyone bottled it, it was you. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

This is the biggest myth in football. Arsenal were top half way through the season not us, we were never in this, if anyone bottled it, it was you. 

We could never bottle anything because we've been over performing of a considerable amount of time for a decade or so.  There were no espectations with the realists and qualifying to participate in the Cahmpions League for so long just made us be part of a select number of European clubs from top leagues that were able to earn their shareholders more doe.

So what are you exactly getting at mate? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

We could never bottle anything because we've been over performing of a considerable amount of time for a decade or so.  There were no espectations with the realists and qualifying to participate in the Cahmpions League for so long just made us be part of a select number of European clubs from top leagues that were able to earn their shareholders more doe.

So what are you exactly getting at mate? 

You were overachieving by not being able to catch up Leicester?

22 minutes ago, Danny said:

Arsenal Football Club.

You can’t say you overachieved that season when you finished behind Leicester

Your list seems to have been lost in translation mate.  Leicester won the league and 19 clubs ended up below them with the only competing club against them (Spurs) losing their nerve at the end and somehow managing the impossible and not even finishing runner-up.

57 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Your list seems to have been lost in translation mate.  Leicester won the league and 19 clubs ended up below them with the only competing club against them (Spurs) losing their nerve at the end and somehow managing the impossible and not even finishing runner-up.

But you were competing as well.

Youve said already Liverpool are the only competitors to Man City for the title yet refuse to believe you were in contention even though you went top in the January.

Edited by Danny
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

But you were competing as well.

Youve said already Liverpool are the only competitors to Man City for the title yet refuse to believe you were in contention even though you went top in the January.

It was an odd season. Just like when Wigan competed for and won the FA CUP.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, SirBalon said:

See this is where you are chatting absolute bollocks, as all Arsenal fans do. We never ‘lost our nerve’ - we just didn’t catch them, ever, they were too good for us and every other team in the league. We weren’t top all season. However after 19 games, who was top...Arsenal football club. You lost your nerve did you second half of the season? Give over. 

• Upvote 1

Balon, I like you mate, but you're having a mare here. 

Of cours Spurs are title contenders. Excellent manager, excellent players and like us they all work together as a proper team. They are 6 points off the top spot, two behind this impossibly good City team. We WILL drop points this season, and we have them to play again. 

Anything is possible, and it's absolutely possible that Spurs are right there fighting till the end. I still expect City to lift the trophy mind, but there's plenty of point left to play for.

• Upvote 2

I think my point has been proven.

Tottenham fans don't even think they've been in a title challenge. Only morons that pay attention to pundits on TV do. So this idea that they've been a "consistent contender" is asinine.

Storts is killing himself here trying to prove that it was Arsenal that were the main title challengers which once again goes against media narrative.

The lesson here is, stop paying attention to knobheads on TV. Their love for Tottenham causes them to inflate Tottenham's "achievements" and empty headed football fans seem to but into it.

Edited by 6666

34 minutes ago, Storts said:

See this is where you are chatting absolute bollocks, as all Arsenal fans do. We never ‘lost our nerve’ - we just didn’t catch them, ever, they were too good for us and every other team in the league. We weren’t top all season. However after 19 games, who was top...Arsenal football club. You lost your nerve did you second half of the season? Give over. 

You lost your nerve against Chelsea.  The whole world saw that game and that was the general consensus.  You were still in it.

• Upvote 1

Honestly... If anyone is trying to genuinely imply that Arsenal were proper contenders when Leicester won the league title,  I find that extremely funny because I can guarantee you that as an Arsenal fan it never felt like we were ever in it (maybe for a split second when we beat Leicester in the final seconds at home but soon came back to our senses) at all.  I don't know of anyone that felt we were challengers and don't remember the subject being something of debate at The Emirates when going to the games.

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You lost your nerve against Chelsea.  The whole world saw that game and that was the general consensus.  You were still in it.

It’s nonsense that we were still in it though, we were something like 10 points behind! Only people trying to make it into a race would even suggest that, you’re no better than the clickbait journalists at the Mail. 

Personally I’ve never thought of us being properly in a title challenge, has yet to happen. The odd time where you think it could potentially happen and on the cusp of it but never properly involved. 

6 minutes ago, Storts said:

It’s nonsense that we were still in it though, we were something like 10 points behind! Only people trying to make it into a race would even suggest that, you’re no better than the clickbait journalists at the Mail. 

Personally I’ve never thought of us being properly in a title challenge, has yet to happen. The odd time where you think it could potentially happen and on the cusp of it but never properly involved. 

But that's my general point of view... Spurs aren't and haven't been proper contenders for the league title aside from the season Leicester City won it.  Just because you're (you're as in any club minus Livepool or City) in and around the doable points gap doesn't mean you're a proper contender.  The only other side in all of this debate that is occurring here in the Tottenham Hotspur thread are Chelsea.  But Chelsea for some reason have become the side that come into the reckoning everytime they're ready for a cycle.  In general with the players they have they should be genuinely in there with a shout, but right now even though you can see them easily going on decent runs, it won't be consistent enough for them to maintain the marathon till the end.

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, 6666 said:

I think my point has been proven.

Tottenham fans don't even think they've been in a title challenge. Only morons that pay attention to pundits on TV do. So this idea that they've been a "consistent contender" is asinine.

Storts is killing himself here trying to prove that it was Arsenal that were the main title challengers which once again goes against media narrative.

The lesson here is, stop paying attention to knobheads on TV. Their love for Tottenham causes them to inflate Tottenham's "achievements" and empty headed football fans seem to but into it.

What am I killing myself over? I’m not trying to prove anything, what I’m trying to say is there was no title challenge from anyone post about Feb, Leicester were so strong and we couldn’t get close to them. The point is that we were never top, Arsenal were halfway through the season, but for some reason the narrative has been allowed to developed that we ‘bottled it’ and that it was a ‘two horse race’ when in reality this was just a SKY plot to sell the games and it was always Leicester’s to lose. Which they didn’t. 

As usual this last point is just a load of crap to be fair. Our ‘achievements’ are praised by some who understand football because quite honestly we’ve done exceptionally well to grow organically and get to the point where we face interrupted the status quo of the Premier League era where yourselves, United and Liverpool plus the oil clubs would dominate the top positions in the league.

You can’t have it both ways. On some fronts we have to win a trophy etc. It’s a great failure - yet on the other hand, we haven’t won trophies consistently for such a long time and don’t deserve to be up there. People always try and play this double standards but I think on the whole the neutral appreciates that we have spent a long time building and growing as a team, with a near minimal net spend and a manager that chooses to develop rather than with players. We play good football, with the core of the England squad and have a very likeable manager. 

On your point about the media, your blinkers seems to always ignore the fact we get an incredibly rough deal from them in terms of coverage. The way they are trying to get Pochettino to Manchester United is disgraceful and they are constantly putting us down on SSN and when they have pundits on. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

But that's my general point of view... Spurs aren't and haven't been proper contenders for the league title aside from the season Leicester City won it.  Just because you're (you're as in any club minus Livepool or City) in and around the doable points gap doesn't mean you're a proper contender.  The only other side in all of this debate that is occurring here in the Tottenham Hotspur thread are Chelsea.  But Chelsea for some reason have become the side that come into the reckoning everytime they're ready for a cycle.  In general with the players they have they should be genuinely in there with a shout, but right now even though you can see them easily going on decent runs, it won't be consistent enough for them to maintain the marathon till the end.

I actually agree with you, as I’ve said above, except we weren’t a proper contender that year either. We have not been strong or consistent enough over a full season to be part of a title race, even if the talent has been there. This year could be different though, we will see. We’ve played 11 of our league games away, winning 9, we usually start slowly and improve yet we have done brilliantly so far - the players are maturing as is the manager,  I think this is the best chance we’ve got to get involved in it

4 minutes ago, Storts said:

I think this is the best chance we’ve got to get involved in it

I think that's the best descriptive word to use with any other club (right now) aside from Manchester City and Liverpool where genuine contenders is the term that's gonna be used.  There are clubs that have stuff in their locker to get involved, but there are only two real genuine title contenders.  I maintain this (oddly enough) even if neither of the two aforementioned clubs were to actually win it this season.

4 hours ago, Storts said:

It’s nonsense that we were still in it though, we were something like 10 points behind

Coming into matchweek 35, you were 5 points behind Leicester before our match at the bridge.

Edited by Cicero

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Coming into matchweek 35, you were 5 points behind Leicester before our match at the bridge.

Yeah but we were always playing catch up, they kept putting us on Monday nights. Before our game we were 8 points behind them. They didn’t really give us a sniff bar a brief spell in Feb/March when we had Arsenal and West Ham back to back.  People downplay their title win to try and find a way to attack us but they deserve all the credit for their ruthless efficiency in closing it out

• Upvote 1