talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham Hotspur Discussion

football forum

The only thing surprising in all of this is that it's happening during Mourinho's 2nd tenure and not his notorious 3rd. There were those that thought since he's at Spurs, he'd do well considering the lack of pressure in comparison to managing us or United. Lack of pressure won't get rid of his dull tactics and blameless mentality and everything that comes with it. The irony in all of this is Mourinho is ending his managerial career at a club that essentially destroyed the best of him to begin with. 

Levy should be tapping up ten Hag as we speak. Can't see a better alternative. 

Edited by Cicero

On 11/04/2021 at 20:42, Stan said:

Can tell why @Storts wants Jose out

Amazing the difference of comments on here taking into account those stats compared to when the 'Can Tottenham win the Premier League' thread was first created.

I just read back on that thread and it's like Night and Day.

Some people may regret their predictions because they were a bit too quick to jump on the bandwagon I think xD

Edited by Lucas

On 15/04/2021 at 15:15, Lucas said:

Amazing the difference of comments on here taking into account those stats compared to when the 'Can Tottenham win the Premier League' thread was first created.

Some people may regret their predictions because they were a bit too quick to jump on the bandwagon I think xD

Glad to see I was trying to dismantle the wheels :ph34r:

So the BBC have an article about potential replacements and one of the names they mentioned was....Diego Simeone?

Baffle me, please. Someone tell me why Simeone would leave a much bigger club in Atletico, at the top of La Liga, who are competing against the two biggest sides of the last decade, one of them the biggest side in the world......for Spurs?

On 23/04/2021 at 16:09, Danny said:

So the BBC have an article about potential replacements and one of the names they mentioned was....Diego Simeone?

Baffle me, please. Someone tell me why Simeone would leave a much bigger club in Atletico, at the top of La Liga, who are competing against the two biggest sides of the last decade, one of them the biggest side in the world......for Spurs?

He won't. If and when Simeone comes to England, it'll be to City, Liverpool or United. We have no chance of getting him.

Looking at the first 23 on SkyBet. Interesting stuff. I'd back whoever becomes the manager but pretty interesting:

Maurizio Sarri - 5/2

I don't dislike the guy but his style of play is non-negotiable, you have to do it completely his way, we don't have the players for it and the rebuild would be even more painful than Poch suggested initially. I really don't think we should.

Brendan Rodgers - 5/1

Although irritating sometimes, I would take him despite him seeming to fall short at the last hurdle (might change this season). Wouldn't blame Leicester if they told us to stick our offer up our arses after the SPL fiasco and I don't think Rodgers would agitate to leave if they are in the CL (doubly if they win the FA Cup) unless he really is driven by other things. Would take him but would not blame him or Leicester for not allowing it to happen in a million years.

Julian Nagelsmann - 5/1

Would love it to happen but would be amazed if he didn't go to Bayern.

Nuno - 6/1

Possible. Wolves are allegedly planning in case he does leave and maybe with this season, he might think it's gotten stale and want to try one of the so-called "Big Six". Not the most exciting pick but might be a good fit.

Graham Potter - 10/1

He might do better with much better strikes - be interesting to see what his style does with Kane, Son and maybe Bale but I really don't know if he can make the step up yet to a team that wants to challenge for trophies. A gamble. He needs new defenders though, you'd have to be Harry Potter to win things with that back lot right now.

Scott Parker - 10/1

Absolutely not. I don't know why some of our fans on our Facebook group are wistful for this. He's proven nothing, far less than Potter in terms of being able to manage in the Prem. I'm not interested in whether our next manager played for us or not, just the right appointment.

Ryan Mason - 12/1

No. Far too soon. I'd like to see him perhaps take a lower league job after this run.

Erik ten Hag - 14/1

I would love to see this. Would be a great choice.

Rafa Benitez - 14/1

Yes. Proven in the Premier League, experienced, won trophies, a top manager, available. I don't see why he's not higher.

Eddie Howe - 16/1

Again, can he step up? He was fantastic at Bourenmouth and is a legend there but it did burn out in the last season. I do like him but I think it might be a bit much for him right now.

Christophe Galtier - 20/1

Eh...don't have a strong view either way.

Max Allegri - 20/1

A definite in terms of achievement but not sure he'd want to come to us and the lack of English might put the club off. Mind you, it didn't with Poch who was speaking through an interpreter before he came.

Claude Makelele - 25/1

I don't think so.

Hansi Flick - 25/1

Won't happen.

Jurgen Klinsmann - 25/1

Apparently wants it and is a legend with us but I don't think he has shown enough to deserve it.

Marcelino - 25/1

Might be a decent choice if he wants it.

Ralph Hasenhuttl - 25/1

Would have been one of the favourites six months ago but his star has massively fallen so I don't think we will go for him. I think he could do well though.

Roberto Martinez - 25/1

Doesn't convince me at club level. I wouldn't, personally.

Jesse Marsch - 28/1

Not overly familiar with him but hear he's good.

Ledley King - 28/1

No. The romantic in all Spurs fans would love to see it but the pragmatist says "not in a million years". Don't dump on it like Lampard did and even he was more experienced.

Steven Gerrard - 28/1

I would absolutely take him, I think he's done a brilliant job for Rangers and can't understand fans who wouldn't. I don't think he'd take it though, I think he is waiting for Liverpool.

Frank Lampard - 33/1

Absolutely not. We wouldn't want him and he wouldn't want us.

Gareth Southgate - 33/1

I hope not. Some people are just suited for international management, not club.

• Administrator

I'm surprised people like Scott Parker & Eddie Howe are even in contention and that Gerrard is as far out as 28/1. He probably is waiting for the Liverpool job to be fair. I don't get how Howe can be in any realistic contention given what happened with Bournemouth. Same with Parker - it's a step up too far for now, surely?

Agree with all your points about Rodgers. 

Ten Haag would be the best choice I think? Think he'd get the best out of the players currently at Spurs, not to mention the kind of players he could persuade from Ajax...

• Upvote 1

Gerrard would be very interesting but it would be a snakey move to leave Rangers right now, He’s building something there and should stay for at least another season. If Gerrard does go to Spurs will Kane and son be willing to stay and start from scratch again because thats were they are after this season.

• Administrator

Tottenham Hotspur look set to suffer an early blow in their attempt to replace Jose Mourinho, with Bayern Munich closing in on the appointment of the Premier League club’s top target Julian Nagelsmann.

And that will only increase the pressure on Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, who was already facing calls to go from supporters who were angered by the club’s involvement in the failed European Super League plan.

Ajax manager Erik ten Hag is now expected to move up Tottenham’s list of targets, which is also understood to include Ralf Rangnick, while there is admiration for England manager Gareth Southgate.

Mourinho was sacked last week by Tottenham, who hoped to join the front of the queue for Nagelsmann but German sources claim the RB Leipzig manager has agreed to succeed Hansi Flick at Bayern and Spurs fear they have lost out on the 33-year-old.

Nagelsmann had been identified as the perfect candidate to reintroduce an exciting, progressive brand of football to Tottenham next season, something Ten Hag could also promise.

It was under Ten Hag that Ajax reached the Champions League semi-finals two years ago which they lost to Spurs, then managed by Mauricio Pochettino, and the Dutch club are comfortably in the lead in the Eredivisie table again this season.

Ten Hag will only have a year remaining on his Ajax contract at the end of the season, meaning any compensation fee should not be out of Tottenham’s reach.

Tottenham considered Rangnick, who is currently out of work, before hiring Andre Villas-Boas in 2012 and the German, who last managed RB Leipzig in 2019, was considered for the Chelsea post earlier this year before the club appointed Thomas Tuchel.

A tipping point will come for Spurs if Daniel Levy fails to get his next few decisions right

Rangnick is credited with influencing the likes of Nagelsmann, Tuchel, Jurgen Klopp and Ralph Hassenhuttl, and has also been a director of football, as well as a manager.

Southgate is well liked by Tottenham and his close relationship with Harry Kane means that he would have at least one high-profile supporter inside the club’s dressing-room.

But England’s involvement in the European Championships would complicate any approach and Southgate is believed to be keen to remain in his role for the next World Cup in Qatar in 2022.

Brendan Rodgers, who would be among Tottenham’s top targets, is not thought to be interested in leaving Leicester City at this point in time with the club in the final of the FA Cup and competing for Champions League qualification for next season.

Belgium coach Roberto Martinez is believed to be keen on a return to club management after the Euros, but, as in the case of Southgate, Tottenham would have difficulties in making a firm approach before the end of the tournament.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/26/erik-ten-hag-among-tottenham-contenders-julian-nagelsmann-poised/

• Subscriber

Regarding Rodgers, part of me thinks if he makes the top 4 and wins the FA Cup, he might have the attitude of "what else can I achieve at Leicester that I haven't already" -  then again, unless he thinks he can win a title with Spurs, then maybe it's "what can I achieve at Spurs that I haven't already at Leicester" so who knows.

I've got a feeling Rodgers when he leaves us will end up in Spain or Italy. He's fluent in both languages.

32 minutes ago, Stan said:

Rodgers, thankfully, has ruled himself out of the running for the Spurs job.

Would be mad to leave this group of players, with the potential for more investment, to go to Spurs. Big step down

• Upvote 1

On 26/04/2021 at 18:24, Cicero said:

Has to be Sarri or ten Hag. 

Ten hag was linked with beyern. I'd be surprised if he wants to go to spurs if he is regarded highly enough to go there. 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ten hag was linked with beyern. I'd be surprised if he wants to go to spurs if he is regarded highly enough to go there. 

Nagelsmann is going to Bayern

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2021 at 15:15, Lucas said:

As an Arsenal fan it would be bad to see Spurs win the league but have to concede they have been a good consistent side for the better part of the last couple of seasons, more so than us. I feel Mourinho has taken spurs backward but in the first instance he was the perfect fit on paper but sadly he has diminished as a manager . I feel their next appointment as manager is very important for them to progress and will shape Harry Kane's decision if he stays.

On 26/04/2021 at 18:59, Whiskey said:

I don't think Spurs is a step up from Leicester tbh.

You sure? One bad appointment doesn't make them a 'bad' club but a decent appointment now could lift them right up, do pay spurs their credit they have a good squad which has been used badly.