talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham Hotspur Discussion

football forum

I highly doubt it. Why would he?

Obviously, as a Spurs fan I will be biased but if you were a neutral, why would you want to leave a club massively on the up, just won a major trophy, about to qualify for the CL for a rebuilding job with a chairman notorious for being tight? 

We certainly can get back in the top 4 and win something with the right manager, signings etc but Leicester are the fare more attractive club right now. 

Rafa allegedly wants the role and Levy has been interested before. I expect it will be him unless someone out of the blue appears.

• Subscriber
On 16/05/2021 at 09:55, Persephone said:

You sure? One bad appointment doesn't make them a 'bad' club but a decent appointment now could lift them right up, do pay spurs their credit they have a good squad which has been used badly.

He was on the wind up mate - best not to engage 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
On 16/05/2021 at 10:46, Tar-Mairon said:

I highly doubt it. Why would he?

Obviously, as a Spurs fan I will be biased but if you were a neutral, why would you want to leave a club massively on the up, just won a major trophy, about to qualify for the CL for a rebuilding job with a chairman notorious for being tight? 

We certainly can get back in the top 4 and win something with the right manager, signings etc but Leicester are the fare more attractive club right now. 

Rafa allegedly wants the role and Levy has been interested before. I expect it will be him unless someone out of the blue appears.

I don’t think he would either. Particularly because I wouldn’t want to work with Daniel Levy. But even still there is no denying it’s a step up in terms of stature of club, infrastructure, fanbase, history, expectation, finances (although maybe not after the pandemic) 

No chance it’s Rafa though, thankfully, would be another joke appointment. I think it’s someone already in a job, just waiting for the end of the season to announce. 

On 16/05/2021 at 01:55, Persephone said:

You sure? One bad appointment doesn't make them a 'bad' club but a decent appointment now could lift them right up, do pay spurs their credit they have a good squad which has been used badly.

I don’t think a few bad seasons makes them a bad club. But is it a step up at this point? It might lead to higher pay but… there’s a lot of work needed, imo, to get this Spurs club back to the level it was at under Poch.

Leicester are a club thats backed well by the owners and is on an upward trajectory under Rodgers. Whereas Spurs sacked Poch after pissing him off by refusing to back him the way he asked to be backed after they made it to a CL final.

I can understand why Spurs might want Rodgers… but I can understand why Rodgers might reject them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 16/05/2021 at 09:55, Persephone said:

Erm, yeah. 

Leicester have won the title and the FA Cup this season. Tottenham haven't won a trophy in... 10-15 years now? Spurs are the more famous as they have a new stadium and a documentary on Amazon Prime but a step up from Leicester? Deluded if you think so.

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t think a few bad seasons makes them a bad club. But is it a step up at this point? It might lead to higher pay but… there’s a lot of work needed, imo, to get this Spurs club back to the level it was at under Poch.

Leicester are a club thats backed well by the owners and is on an upward trajectory under Rodgers. Whereas Spurs sacked Poch after pissing him off by refusing to back him the way he asked to be backed after they made it to a CL final.

I can understand why Spurs might want Rodgers… but I can understand why Rodgers might reject them.

I can understand the latter sure ... but there’s no comparison between the clubs. It’s absolutely a step up in terms of job stature.

I also don’t think we are as far away as you think. The right manager and this team is right back up there with a couple of additions.

The third point about ownership though... absolutely. I wouldn’t leave Leicester’s owners for ours, not a chance.

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Welcome to the "paying off the new stadium phase".

In fairness this has been the case even pre the new stadium. 

Most expensive tickets in Europe to serve up that crap.

But yeah only going to get worse now with that and the pandemic losses 

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Danny said:

Rodgers has a chance to create a legacy at Leicester, cement them as a top club. Why would you want to leave that for Spurs?

Rodgers on his way to Spurs as we speak. Resigned immediately 

• Haha 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Storts said:

Rodgers on his way to Spurs as we speak. Resigned immediately 

Cancelled his resignation. On his way back to the KP right now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Storts said:

I can understand the latter sure ... but there’s no comparison between the clubs. It’s absolutely a step up in terms of job stature.

I also don’t think we are as far away as you think. The right manager and this team is right back up there with a couple of additions.

The third point about ownership though... absolutely. I wouldn’t leave Leicester’s owners for ours, not a chance.

Sure, it's a step up in stature. But is it the best career move in the middle of a successful project with Leicester? 

As for the bolded bit. The margins are so thin in this league, especially when nobody really has the depth to compete with the quality of City in the event of an injury crisis other than Chelsea. Tottenham have a good squad, I don't deny that - but there are a few clubs in the league that have good squads that can reasonably compete for CL places.

If I were him, I'd value the stability of being a part of a project where the club is seeing success under his tenure as manager. Rather than taking a step into a massive unknown trying to build Spurs back to the level they were at (which at this point, Leicester are much closer to being at than Spurs are).

There's also the whole Rodgers being dogshite in Europe issue - he's still learning on the job. Spurs are ambitious, will they (Levy and the fans) tolerate him losing his mind in Europe to focus on improvement in the league? I'm not sure after the regression of Mourinho that Spurs will have the patience for a man learning about managing in Europe on the job once Spurs are able to get back into the CL.

He's got a good thing going at Leicester and has afforded himself a lot of goodwill at that club. I think it would take some serious financial incentive to get him to move away from the club, as well as getting some sort of commitment from Levy that Spurs would be big spenders in the transfer market.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Rodgers has a chance to create a legacy at Leicester, cement them as a top club. Why would you want to leave that for Spurs?

Because Spurs are a bigger club, pains me to say it but they have a decent pedigree.

4 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Erm, yeah. 

Leicester have won the title and the FA Cup this season. Tottenham haven't won a trophy in... 10-15 years now? Spurs are the more famous as they have a new stadium and a documentary on Amazon Prime but a step up from Leicester? Deluded if you think so.

I think Spurs are famous for many things, can't believe I'm sticking up for them. Leicester are new to the scene I think they need to stick around first. 

Edited by Persephone

3 hours ago, Persephone said:

Because Spurs are a bigger club, pains me to say it but they have a decent pedigree.

What pedigree? Leicester have literally just won the FA Cup and still benefit from their league title, Spurs haven’t had pedigree for decades

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Storts said:

I don’t think he would either. Particularly because I wouldn’t want to work with Daniel Levy. But even still there is no denying it’s a step up in terms of stature of club, infrastructure, fanbase, history, expectation, finances (although maybe not after the pandemic) 

No chance it’s Rafa though, thankfully, would be another joke appointment. I think it’s someone already in a job, just waiting for the end of the season to announce. 

I'd much prefer Flick (if that is true - big if), Rodgers (if he wanted it - chances are, he does not) and one of the top Italian managers but I don't think Rafa would be a joke. He's done a good job whenever he's been in the PL and would be a good, solid appointment.

I get that we are technically the bigger club, I just think Leicester are a much better place to be right now. He's loved there, just won a trophy, CL football (probably), great relationship with owner.

Rumours about Kane swirling yesterday but according to Gold, he hasn't asked to leave so suspect a lot of stories being rehashed today!

9 hours ago, Danny said:

What pedigree? Leicester have literally just won the FA Cup and still benefit from their league title, Spurs haven’t had pedigree for decades

Spurs are a big club, they've had a bad appointment in choice of manager but their next appointment is key. Low and behold they're still fighting in the top half of the table if Rodgers leaves Leicester then they will suffer. They won the Final due to Chelsea being lacklustre and them getting lucky, truth is like many finals it was a dower game.