talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham Hotspur Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Danny said:

@Storts thoughts on Alonso?

Not sure there’s much truth in it but he fits the profile of the sort of guy we’d be looking at. Not sure he’s had enough experience just yet to warrant the job 

3 hours ago, Storts said:

Don’t be so nasty 

I don’t want to share him with other clubs in England. If he joins though I hope he does really well. But there’s also the fact that I like that right now he’s managing Sardar Azmoun and has helped Azmoun settle into Germany better.

I do think he probably needs more experience before joining Spurs, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say I think Rodgers would be a hilarious appointment. I still think he should go to a decent Serie A side and give that 2 years to show what he can do as a short term manager - I think it's pretty clear he's only effective at a club in short bursts and is 100% the wrong guy to oversee a rebuild.

I feel for @Storts and other Spurs fans though - I have no fucking idea out of who's a realistic candidate for the job that I'd want to bring in. Spurs have a decent squad, but one that's very badly in need of reinforcements for the future. I imagine Kane's probably not to keen on yet another season with a club that's trying to match his ambitions but falling short and needing to rebuild again. I think it's fairly likely he will want away from the club again.

But it's hard to have any faith in Levy & co. to match the ambition of fans/Kane and bring in the right sort of person to oversee the rebuilding of the squad. Mourinho was brought in as a serial winner to get Spurs to end their trophy drought and they sacked him on the eve of a final. They brought Conte in after sacking Mourinho and... I don't know why... but expected it to be different to Mourinho. But they've both defense minded managers... Conte's probably even more defensive minded, without the same man-management skills as Mourinho and while being a notoriously ruthless manager in training which often leads to his players feeling burnt out after not too long.

I imagine Spurs fans want a manager who's philosophy on football matches their historic philosophy on football - attractive & expansive attacking football is what I've come to expect from Spurs over my life... I understand it. It's nicer to watch good football. I think fans could forgive Mourinho/Conte style management if it meant some silverware in the trophy room. Obviously the "best case" scenario for them is someone that plays the sort of football they'd want to see... but can also help them turn the corner and go on to be genuinely competitive on all fronts when the squad is at that level.... but that's a massive ask, I think, especially with some of the names that have been thrown out.

Honestly, if they give Rodgers 2 years to impart his philosophy on players... but they also spend the next 2 years looking for Rodgers' replacement (and also giving him minimal say in transfers, although that's pretty tough with their DOF banned from football - or did they replace him?) and planning to bin Rodgers off after he's taken Spurs back to playing decent football... that might be their best long-term option. Bit shit for Rodgers, but fuck him tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tottenham raising ticket prices 20%

Absolutely mental, they’ve already got some of the most expensive tickets in the country. Pretty ridiculous to do this when 1) there’s a cost of living crisis, 2) the side has struggled on the pitch for years.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Absolutely mental, they’ve already got some of the most expensive tickets in the country. Pretty ridiculous to do this when 1) there’s a cost of living crisis, 2) the side has struggled on the pitch for years.

that 1bn toy isn't going to pay for itself

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They know people will pay... 

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Prices out local fans from the area, fans that can afford it will largely be living in Essex/Hertfordshire