talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham Hotspur Discussion

football forum

10 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I have no doubt Manchester United would be interested, given the culture of the club needs to change signing the England Captain is possibly the most effective and quickest way to do that.

That said, whilst I'm sure his relationship with Levy will forever be fractured as a result of broken verbal agreements, but is there really any point in making a sideways step to Manchester United? If he can't win trophies at Tottenham, is he really going to win any at Manchester United? You'd have to say Spurs are in the better position under Conte to do so.

If United get Ten Hag in the summer... I think if I'm Harry Kane, I'd be pretty tempted to make the move to United. United have been wasteful in the transfer market, but they're ambitious - even if they're ambitious while backing the wrong manager at the time.

It's a big step up from Ajax to United, for sure, but I do think he's the right sort of manager for them to be looking at. And spending the kind of money that United spend, I think with him as manager and with a player like Kane... that he'd be in a position to be able to win things quicker than if he stayed at Spurs.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if City go back in for him.

Tottenham have been excellent this season. It's probably been their most successful season so far since they reached the final of the Champions League in 2019. The team looks really solid and they are a real threat going forward, really exciting to watch.

I could understand, although I wouldn't be happy, if Kane went to City or Liverpool.

United though? It's an absolute joke as is the concept he'd rather work for a manager unproven outside of a relatively weak Dutch league with a massive rebuild on his hands (way bigger than the one at Spurs) who are likely to finish below his current team this season when he has a genuine world class manager in the here and now at Spurs.

The media want Kane out and have worked hard to unsettle him for years, the club just have to ignore.

13 hours ago, Tar-Mairon said:

I could understand, although I wouldn't be happy, if Kane went to City or Liverpool.

United though? It's an absolute joke as is the concept he'd rather work for a manager unproven outside of a relatively weak Dutch league with a massive rebuild on his hands (way bigger than the one at Spurs) who are likely to finish below his current team this season when he has a genuine world class manager in the here and now at Spurs.

The media want Kane out and have worked hard to unsettle him for years, the club just have to ignore.

We were reputedly interested in Kane last season though understandably Spurs refused to sell believe we offered £150m. 

I hope he goes on a free transfer.

• 5 weeks later...

So, after Conte's third consecutive 1-1 draw at Anfield and Arsenal's less than impressive showing against a relegation candidate, what can we expect from The NLD? Spurs are well placed after a win and a draw so I'm opting for a narrow Spurs win.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

So, after Conte's third consecutive 1-1 draw at Anfield and Arsenal's less than impressive showing against a relegation candidate, what can we expect from The NLD? Spurs are well placed after a win and a draw so I'm opting for a narrow Spurs win.

Always a lot of feistiness in the game, and lots of drama. I'll go 4-2 Spurs.

13 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

Read this morning that Graham Potter is linked with Spurs, I just wish things would settle. I'd like Conte to stay, he's much better than Potter.

You are better off with Potter with the direction football is moving to. 

12 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

How's that?

Well more and more clubs are adapting a high pressing game. Over the past several years, progressive football has seen to be more sustainable than conservative/pragmatic approaches. Potter is viewing football the same way Klopp and Pep do, which is a focus on high pressing and chance creation. This philosophy gives control where as conservative football does not. There is a reason why Conte has a horrid record in Europe despite the clubs he's managed. 

10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Well more and more clubs are adapting a high pressing game. Over the past several years, progressive football has seen to be more sustainable than conservative/pragmatic approaches. Potter is viewing football the same way Klopp and Pep do, which is a focus on high pressing and chance creation. This philosophy gives control where as conservative football does not. There is a reason why Conte has a horrid record in Europe despite the clubs he's managed. 

Potter also doesn't have a track record of throwing tantrums midway through the season and then quitting his contract while also somehow getting the remainder of his salary paid out in full.

• Like 1

Graham Potter to Spurs is mental, that move is essentially like going for a BTEC Poch imo. They have one of the best stadiums in Europe and a team that with the right investment could easily be in the top 4 regularly challenging for silverware. I don't know who they should go for if Conte leaves, but it has to be someone with a track record of winning alongside playing progressive football.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Graham Potter to Spurs is mental, that move is essentially like going for a BTEC Poch imo. They have one of the best stadiums in Europe and a team that with the right investment could easily be in the top 4 regularly challenging for silverware. I don't know who they should go for if Conte leaves, but it has to be someone with a track record of winning alongside playing progressive football.

Hard to find but there are candidates like those on the radar before Conte's appointment. Their names slip me now.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

He won the league with Milan Cicero, nothing too horrid about that but I get the point about the high pressing game. Not sure Potter would lure the top players to Spurs though, most would probably say "Who?"

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Graham Potter to Spurs is mental, that move is essentially like going for a BTEC Poch imo

You say this like it's a bad thing! I'd have loved us to go for Potter instead of Rafa last summer. His Brighton teams are inconsistent but perform at least at the level they're expected to over a longer period of time. That style of play is the way to go as well.

Conte might make Spurs feel good because he's got a top class track record and they want to be a top class club. Potter doesn't have that record but nor did Poch when he came to Spurs and he's the best manager they've had in my lifetime. Not saying out and out that Potter is the next Poch but there's a lot of merit in it. I can't see Conte really progressing Spurs over a number of years even if he'll probably get pretty good results out of this team for the time that he's there. He's not the type of manager who can repeat what Poch did in applying the finishing touches to a serious team that isn't quite ready-made.

Just now, Chickasaw said:

He won the league with Milan Cicero, nothing too horrid about that but I get the point about the high pressing game. Not sure Potter would lure the top players to Spurs though, most would probably say "Who?"

Yes, but my point was that this kind of football isn't sustainable at the highest level. He won the league with us too (although we benefited having no European football) then we finished 5th the following season. 

He's fantastic in a certain environment but Spurs and the Premier League isn't it if we are thinking about long term. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You say this like it's a bad thing! I'd have loved us to go for Potter instead of Rafa last summer. His Brighton teams are inconsistent but perform at least at the level they're expected to over a longer period of time. That style of play is the way to go as well.

Conte might make Spurs feel good because he's got a top class track record and they want to be a top class club. Potter doesn't have that record but nor did Poch when he came to Spurs and he's the best manager they've had in my lifetime. Not saying out and out that Potter is the next Poch but there's a lot of merit in it. I can't see Conte really progressing Spurs over a number of years even if he'll probably get pretty good results out of this team for the time that he's there. He's not the type of manager who can repeat what Poch did in applying the finishing touches to a serious team that isn't quite ready-made.

With all due respect to both club's history there is a gulf in what Spurs should currently be expecting as a bare minimum and what you should be. I think Potter would be a great appointment for you, not expected to win silverware, opportunity to bring in young players, grow the team, grow expectations from mid-table nothingness to Europa League contention. But Spurs are not looking at Europa League contention, not with the new stadium and players like Kane and Son at the club even if there is some dross elsewhere.

I just think the Spurs job is a level too soon to be giving to Potter and they need to go after someone who can turn them into competitors for silverware again whilst getting into and staying in the top 4 regularly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

With all due respect to both club's history there is a gulf in what Spurs should currently be expecting as a bare minimum and what you should be. I think Potter would be a great appointment for you, not expected to win silverware, opportunity to bring in young players, grow the team, grow expectations from mid-table nothingness to Europa League contention. But Spurs are not looking at Europa League contention, not with the new stadium and players like Kane and Son at the club even if there is some dross elsewhere.

I just think the Spurs job is a level too soon to be giving to Potter and they need to go after someone who can turn them into competitors for silverware again whilst getting into and staying in the top 4 regularly.

I don't think he's high profile enough for Spurs so he will never get the job. But, Nuno wasn't either and he landed it.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Danny said:

I wasn't trying to compare Spurs and Everton, that was just a side comment.

This Spurs team is nowhere near ready to properly compete with City and Liverpool, and that's the standard needed if they want to win silverware.

Admittedly, Conte is a good manager for getting them into the top 4 let's say two times out of three for as long as he stays, and just maybe nicking a domestic trophy. I just don't think he will stay that long and don't see him taking them any further than that like Pochettino did. He reminds me a bit of what Ancelotti probably would have ended up being with Everton if he'd stayed. Get near enough the best possible results out of the team while he's there but when he leaves, you're probably no better off overall than you were when he came.

You need that type of manager who develops a club and the tactical approach that Cicero described is important too. Potter might not quite be there yet but there's an argument that he's in the right mould and could be worth gambling on if Conte was to leave and there wasn't an obvious alternative.

3 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

I don't think he's high profile enough for Spurs so he will never get the job. But, Nuno wasn't either and he landed it.

I think Nuno is probably the reason why Potter doesn't get it.

I think Spurs will go back for Poch.

• Like 1

Just now, RandoEFC said:

I wasn't trying to compare Spurs and Everton, that was just a side comment.

This Spurs team is nowhere near ready to properly compete with City and Liverpool, and that's the standard needed if they want to win silverware.

Admittedly, Conte is a good manager for getting them into the top 4 let's say two times out of three for as long as he stays, and just maybe nicking a domestic trophy. I just don't think he will stay that long and don't see him taking them any further than that like Pochettino did. He reminds me a bit of what Ancelotti probably would have ended up being with Everton if he'd stayed. Get near enough the best possible results out of the team while he's there but when he leaves, you're probably no better off overall than you were when he came.

You need that type of manager who develops a club and the tactical approach that Cicero described is important too. Potter might not quite be there yet but there's an argument that he's in the right mould and could be worth gambling on if Conte was to leave and there wasn't an obvious alternative.

I'm not writing Potter off, tbh I haven't seen enough from him to suggest that he'd be a success or a failure but one area I think Spurs would be looking at of his is Brighton's draws this season, joint highest with Palace.

From Spurs' perspective though they have two of the best forwards in the league and now what looks like a really good acquisition in Kulusevski. They're not winning the league atm but I don't think they're far off of challenging in the latter rounds of the Champions League, making FA Cup finals and in general putting in respectable point tallies in the league behind Liverpool and City. 

Spurs right now aren't in the position they were when Poch first came through, so bringing someone like Potter in who is similar to Poch back I don't think is the right idea.

Where they'll get a manager from who knows, but I think the best thing for them at the moment is to hold onto Conte for as long as possible because I don't see Harry Kane ever changing his mind about staying at Spurs with Graham Potter in charge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danny said:

I think Nuno is probably the reason why Potter doesn't get it.

I think Spurs will go back for Poch.

I hope not, rehiring very rarely works. The coaches or players are not as successful as the first stint so no.

Tottenham are interested in three Everton players, including Brazilian forward Richarlison, 25, English winger Anthony Gordon, 21, and 24-year-old English defender Ben Godfrey. (Telegraph - subscription required)

Spurs are also keen on Leicester and Belgium midfielder Youri Tielemans, 25. (GiveMeSport)

Right, this is from BBC Sport Football's gossip column today. Living in Switzerland and elsewhere out of England since 2001 I've lost track of players and teams so can any of my fellow Spurs supporters tell me if these players would be a good fit. Thank you.

• Subscriber

You can keep your hands off Richarlison. Gordon has a lot of potential but currently too raw to be thinking about a step up. Godfrey is a fantastic athlete but we've let him down in terms of development over the past couple of seasons he's been here through playing him in all three positions across the back line to cover our terrible recruitment in the full back areas, plus a series of managerial changes. He's also had a couple of injuries and was dogged by Long Covid earlier this season. Still a lot of potential though.

Tielemans is a quality player. The Leicester lads might no more but I think he'd be looking for a Champions League club for his next move so might depend for Spurs on whether they sneak into the top four.

• Like 1