• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Semi-Final - Argentina 3-0 Croatia - Tuesday 13th December, 2022

football forum

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Never seen a game at this level where the defending for all 3 goals would be deemed embarrassing even on a Sunday morning.

You must have missed the Brazil Germany semi final in 2014, that'll take some beating.

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

It absolutely astounds me that people watch Messi and try and take him down. It's proof that absolutely nobody is safe out there.

He's brilliant. But 'suffering from success' as a fat rapper/DJ might say. Argentina have been on the good side of the ref all tournament and that makes people angry, because its easy to draw a line, even if imaginary, between that and a fifa conspiracy to crown their messiah before he bows out on the international stage (for the 20th time)

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

He's brilliant. But 'suffering from success' as a fat rapper/DJ might say. Argentina have been on the good side of the ref all tournament and that makes people angry, because its easy to draw a line, even if imaginary, between that and a fifa conspiracy to crown their messiah before he bows out on the international stage (for the 20th time)

I did think quite early on they were lining up Argentina v Portugal as the two of them got three absolutely disgusting penalties between them. It's a tough one for me because I'm often on this side of the argument too xD

Argentina were on song today, or should I say Messi was, he was superb. Alvarez wasn't too bad either as his sidekick. I am happy for Messi and Argentina, it was a thoroughly deserved win against last World Cup's finalists Croatia. Croatia can feel proud that their small nation reached a semi-final, even though they did better last time around in Russia. But I don't think anyone is going to be sleeping in Argentina tonight.

I've never picked between Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, I just appreciated how great they both were in their own respective rights. But Messi today has shown that he is still a world class footballer. Him leading Argentina to World Cup victory this year would be an incredible feat. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I also think its a bit too easy to come to this conclusion. 

There'd surely be a lot of mechanics to influence that, beyond just a bent ref? It'd involve several players too, no? Didn't Messi miss a penalty earlier in the competition too? So if it was manufactured for Argentina to win (it isn't), far more other stuff has to be rigged for it to happen. In my opinion. And I'm genuinely not just saying this because I want them to win so Messi can get his hands on that trophy. I'd genuinely say the same for Ronaldo or any other player I despise. 

The best thing that can come from Argentina winning is it'll upset a Mexican-American lad living in Alabama more than I can imagine and it makes me wish I could see the meltdown if that does happen.

I'm still hoping it'll be Morocco though xD

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I also think its a bit too easy to come to this conclusion. 

There'd surely be a lot of mechanics to influence that, beyond just a bent ref? It'd involve several players too, no? Didn't Messi miss a penalty earlier in the competition too? So if it was manufactured for Argentina to win (it isn't), far more other stuff has to be rigged for it to happen. In my opinion. And I'm genuinely not just saying this because I want them to win so Messi can get his hands on that trophy. I'd genuinely say the same for Ronaldo or any other player I despise. 

You can't 'rig' it. Unless you paid players, and then if one squeals you're so fucked.
But a favorable ref can and will change games. Think South Korea beat Italy without one? Remember when France were down 3-0 to Ukraine on aggregate to qualify for the Euro and then the 2nd leg was officiated by a team from a country with a GDP the size of my weekly wage? All you need is a ref who has a mantra of 'if in doubt, it's Argentina's' and fate decides the rest.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

The man is simply the greatest to have ever played the game, his end of career form is something most players can only wish to achieve at some point.

It's been a pleasure to have watched him since he made his debut for Barcelona and his talent was there from day one. I don't need to say anything though as I've said my bit for about 16 years.

Argentina looked better tonight. Like against Italy at Wembley for that supercup thing. They can beat anyone playing like that, but it wouldn't harm having Di Maria, even as a supersub.

As for Croatia, it's been remarkable what they have achieved. As I've said, this would have been my final. Just like Messi, Modric's form itself in his old age is rarely seen. Whatever happens now, both have gone out of their last world cup on a high as far as I'm concerned. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

It absolutely astounds me that people watch Messi and try and take him down. It's proof that absolutely nobody is safe out there.

The cringey fanboy squad you see on the likes of social media is probably one reason, although that is football now in fairness. We will now see this for every great player in the sport in future. The sport attracts a different breed nowadays.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You can't 'rig' it. Unless you paid players, and then if one squeals you're so fucked.
But a favorable ref can and will change games. Think South Korea beat Italy without one? Remember when France were down 3-0 to Ukraine on aggregate to qualify for the Euro and then the 2nd leg was officiated by a team from a country with a GDP the size of my weekly wage? All you need is a ref who has a mantra of 'if in doubt, it's Argentina's' and fate decides the rest.

What happened against Saudi Arabia then when they lost? 

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Perhaps people don't like his snidey attitude, which the press is quick to brush it under the carpet, because it's the Messiah? 

He's been one of the best we've seen, but let's face it: he's had the media on his side for the past 16 years, won awards just due to his name (i.e. the Ballon D'Or in 2010), is more protected by the refs, which leads to a feeling that everything is much more favorable for him than it would be for any other player, so it's easy to see why there are people who are not in the Messi bandwagon.

I was expecting more from Croatia. Those two goals in a row killed any reaction they could have.

On the penalty debate, have to agree it was well awarded.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived