talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australians Only Thread

football forum

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I refuse to believe this, how have I heard weagle and you haven’t

No idea? Literally never heard anyone say weagle. I’ve heard them be called west coast or eagles. I do normally associate with people who see sense in sporting codes? Haha jk, but seriously not even on the news. 

Edited by Toinho

4 hours ago, Toinho said:

I mean there’s a chance someone’s said weagle in passing and I’ve maybe presumed they’ve said an actual word instead, like eagle. Anyway, will be keeping my ears open!

And your legs you filthy bastard.

Anyway, I’m a Cats fan. Been following Geelong for a few years now. Fucking hate Richmond and GWS.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Anyway, I’m a Cats fan. Been following Geelong for a few years now. Fucking hate Richmond and GWS.

Good old Geelong, I have been to that ground many a time when I was out there, up the coast near Eastern Beach, that was when they had a great Full Foreward in Dougie Wade, I don't like the Bombers (Essendon) as my brother-in-law follows them, I love giving him stick now as they finished below my Carlton and we beat them by a point in Round 4.

Your Cats has a good chance of winning the flag this year or the Cup they call it nowadays. :D  

34228922_download(4).png.f94df097f1aba60971201a5356e3b8a0.png

2 hours ago, Cazza said:

Guess it's an East coast thing so I'll not comment, but then when you have a perfect city like Perth you need not bother with anywhere else.

Perth is too fucking big, too fucking hot, too fucking empty and too full of bogans and racist south africans imo. Also it's in the middle of nowhere which makes it hard to escape.  Good state government though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Spike @Toinho

Just under 2 years ago, at age 25, I decided it was high time I made something of myself. I left school after year 10 and from age 17-25 I had drifted from job to job, working in fast food, printing and aged care. The only career opportunities I was afforded I turned down because of disdain for my employment (fuck being an RN) So after stumbling out of another catastrophe of a boring job, I went to UOW college to pick up some study time and credit points to get on path for admission into a bachelors degree. In what? The plan at the time was exercise science, based on the fact that certain aspects and subjects in it are mildly interesting, and that I could do any one of a number of post grad degrees to specialize in any field that took my interest. (rehab, OT, physio, exercise physiologist eg)
Most importantly, easy to get a job, and they aren't particularly demanding jobs at that. 

I'm in the last semester of my pre university study, and I sat a test for the university access program. I needed good marks as I was applying for the higher stream of access. 
I got 66% in maths (a credit, and a huge surprise as I never did well in year 10 maths) and 100% in literacy, which apparently the person who called to congratulate me had never seen before. I was successful in my application. Then my best mate; who knows me better than anyone calls me, congratulates me, then informs me I'm a massive idiot for aiming for something I'm not especially interested in or good at to do a job that I won't love and will likely bore me. He says if I'm going to university I should stick to things I find interesting to get a job that I'd cherry pick if I could. 
The issue is if I could do anything I'd work in foreign affairs or intelligence, and I would study international studies, majoring in international relations, and learning mandarin as my language minor. 
However, I'd need to pair that fun but BS arts degree with something substantial to have any strong chance of working my dream job. 
Pair it with commerce (the weakest of the 3 degrees)
Pair it with economics and finance (oh god it's maths)
Pair it with law. (oh shit it's law)

The other issue, is if I bomb and don't get accepted into DFAT or ASIS/ASIO, I'd have a law or business degree (yay) with no desire to work as a lawyer or marketing manager/HR/economist eg. 
A lot of people who have been to uni I know think law suits me. (I'm a phenomenal reader, articulate and never shut the fuck up) I know a lot of people who got degrees for jobs they didn't end up liking and are back where they started, the issue is that they're my age, and I don't want to waste that kind of time in my life.
I have no parents to discuss this with or run to if it goes tits up, so I'm treating this far more seriously than "oh you can just change your mind after a semester or two"

Help me lads. 

Edited by Devil-Dick Willie

9 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

@Spike @Toinho

Just under 2 years ago, at age 25, I decided it was high time I made something of myself. I left school after year 10 and from age 17-25 I had drifted from job to job, working in fast food, printing and aged care. The only career opportunities I was afforded I turned down because of disdain for my employment (fuck being an RN) So after stumbling out of another catastrophe of a boring job, I went to UOW college to pick up some study time and credit points to get on path for admission into a bachelors degree. In what? The plan at the time was exercise science, based on the fact that certain aspects and subjects in it are mildly interesting, and that I could do any one of a number of post grad degrees to specialize in any field that took my interest. (rehab, OT, physio, exercise physiologist eg)
Most importantly, easy to get a job, and they aren't particularly demanding jobs at that. 

I'm in the last semester of my pre university study, and I sat a test for the university access program. I needed good marks as I was applying for the higher stream of access. 
I got 66% in maths (a credit, and a huge surprise as I never did well in year 10 maths) and 100% in literacy, which apparently the person who called to congratulate me had never seen before. I was successful in my application. Then my best mate; who knows me better than anyone calls me, congratulates me, then informs me I'm a massive idiot for aiming for something I'm not especially interested in or good at to do a job that I won't love and will likely bore me. He says if I'm going to university I should stick to things I find interesting to get a job that I'd cherry pick if I could. 
The issue is if I could do anything I'd work in foreign affairs or intelligence, and I would study international studies, majoring in international relations, and learning mandarin as my language minor. 
However, I'd need to pair that fun but BS arts degree with something substantial to have any strong chance of working my dream job. 

The other issue, is if I bomb and don't get accepted into DFAT or ASIS/ASIO, I'd have a law or business degree (yay) with no desire to work as a lawyer or marketing manager/HR/economist eg. 
A lot of people who have been to uni I know think law suits me. (I'm a phenomenal reader, articulate and never shut the fuck up) I know a lot of people who got degrees for jobs they didn't end up liking and are back where they started, the issue is that they're my age, and I don't want to waste that kind of time in my life.
I have no parents to discuss this with or run to if it goes tits up, so I'm treating this far more seriously than "oh you can just change your mind after a semester or two"

Help me lads. 

here is the skinny of it

1: Do you feel like you did a good days work at the end of each day

2. Does it fulfil one your needs (some people feel fulfilled helping others, so jobs like teaching are fulfilling)

3. does your job make you feel needed

4. does it stimulate your mind and body

if those boxes are ticked then you should do it, nothing ventured nothing gained, but i can’t even follow my own advice because of my crippling fear of failure and committing money to self improvement because i have no confidence in myself. starbucks will literally reimburse me for online uni but i am too cowardly to make the jump

also if you learn mandarin, you will be sent to china, and they do everything they can to rip you off because you are dumb white gweilo, i know plenty of people that regret learning mandarin because the chinese business sector is a hive of betrayal and villains. imagine if they were all dodgy lebanese contractors

I don’t what the fuck they did to our generation but i have always felt so aimless

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spike said:

here is the skinny of it

1: Do you feel like you did a good days work at the end of each day

2. Does it fulfil one your needs (some people feel fulfilled helping others, so jobs like teaching are fulfilling)

3. does your job make you feel needed

4. does it stimulate your mind and body

if those boxes are ticked then you should do it, nothing ventured nothing gained, but i can’t even follow my own advice because of my crippling fear of failure and committing money to self improvement because i have no confidence in myself. starbucks will literally reimburse me for online uni but i am too cowardly to make the jump

also if you learn mandarin, you will be sent to china, and they do everything they can to rip you off because you are dumb white gweilo, i know plenty of people that regret learning mandarin because the chinese business sector is a hive of betrayal and villains. imagine if they were all dodgy lebanese contractors

I don’t what the fuck they did to our generation but i have always felt so aimless

You should definitely get on that bro. I'd love to study on someone elses money 

3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You should definitely get on that bro. I'd love to study on someone elses money 

you're 100% right but it's a mental block, because of my awful experiences at university in the past

53 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

What happened?

shitty people, shitty courses, shitty experience, whole thing was miserable and uninspiring. people more likely to Stan you in the back than work with you

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Spike said:

shitty people, shitty courses, shitty experience, whole thing was miserable and uninspiring. people more likely to Stan you in the back than work with you

That's life in my experience unfortunately. I'm very fortunate to be working at a place with no bitch fights or animosity. But yeah, people suck. 

I'd go for it dude, you're bright, Strarbucks can't be satisfying.  

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

That's life in my experience unfortunately. I'm very fortunate to be working at a place with no bitch fights or animosity. But yeah, people suck. 

I'd go for it dude, you're bright, Strarbucks can't be satisfying.  

Of course it isn't, the company is fine to work for, they do take care of their employees but fuck me customers are cunts in hospitality, especially americans

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.4450983e7feecb219848c9e3f86361ec.png

Tasmanian devils roam mainland Australia for the first time in 3,000 years

VIEW 4 IMAGES

tas-devil-1.jpg

Conservationists have released Tasmanian devils into the wild of mainland Australia, where they went extinct about 3,000 years ago
Aussie Ark

The Tasmanian devil is so-called because it’s only found in the wild on the island of Tasmania. But now, conservationists have reintroduced a population to mainland Australia for the first time in thousands of years.

About the size of a small dog, these carnivorous marsupials once roamed all of Australia, but are believed to have gone extinct everywhere but Tasmania around 3,000 years ago. Dingoes are often blamed, since they would have competed for food and probably won, due to their larger size.

The devils found solace in Tasmania, where dingoes never arrived, but in recent years they’ve faced new threats. Devil Facial Tumor Disease (DFTD) is a deadly and mysteriously contagious form of cancer that has killed so many of the animals that they’re now considered endangered, with just 25,000 estimated to remain in the wild.

Now their story comes full circle, as they move back to the mainland to escape an existential threat. On September 10, conservationists from Aussie Ark, WildArk and Global Wildlife Conservation released 11 Tasmanian devils into a 1,000-acre wildlife sanctuary in Barrington Tops, New South Wales, about 200 km north of Sydney. The sanctuary is designed to protect the animals from dangers like disease, fire, cars, and feral pests like cats and foxes.

These devils were born and raised as part of Aussie Ark’s breeding program, which has seen over 390 devils born in the past decade. The individuals were selected for rewilding based on their suitability to breed without any inbreeding.

This release follows an earlier assisted trial release of 15 devils, meaning a total of 26 Tasmanian devils now roam the Australian mainland once again. And that’s just the beginning. Two more reintroductions are planned for the coming years, with 20 more animals to be released in 2021 and another 20 the year after. To ensure the population is staying healthy and safe, the devils will be monitored using camera traps, tracking collars, microchips and regular surveys.

The program isn’t just about protecting the devils themselves – Aussie Ark considers the devils as one of seven cornerstone species crucial to restoring Australian ecosystems. The others – Eastern quolls, Brush-tail rock wallabies, Rufous bettong, long-nosed potoroo, parma wallabies and southern brown bandicoots – are expected to be released into the wild sanctuary in future.

“Not only is this the reintroduction of one of Australia’s beloved animals, but of an animal that will engineer the entire environment around it, restoring and rebalancing our forest ecology after centuries of devastation from introduced foxes and cats and other invasive predators,” says Tim Faulkner, president of Aussie Ark. “Because of this reintroduction and all of the hard work leading up to it, someday we will see Tasmanian devils living throughout the great eastern forests as they did 3,000 years ago.”

A video describing the release program can be seen below.

#DevilComeback Featuring Chris Hemsworth & Elsa Pataky

https://newatlas.com/environment/tasmanian-devils-release-mainland-australia/

Arrow.png

Edited by CaaC (John)

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Spike said:

shitty people, shitty courses, shitty experience, whole thing was miserable and uninspiring. people more likely to Stan you in the back than work with you

I quit academia years ago en route to my PhD for similar reasons, so I can relate somewhat (although I had both good and bad experiences) - that said, if you're not looking for an academic career, then getting the company to pay for your education is surely a no brainer?... Especially considering  it's an online programme so your exposure to the actual bullshit of academia would be rather limited... Must also say I had some absolutely fantastic online courses too. 

• Like 1

On 05/10/2020 at 16:56, Devil-Dick Willie said:

@Spike @Toinho

Help me lads. 

I’ve sat on this for a day or two because it really is a tough one to reply to.

With the exercise science degree and potential options (post graduate courses probably needed) are they fields you think or know that you would be interested in? Refer to some of spikes questions but for me add in would you have a good work-Life balance? If you didn’t 100% love your job but had good hours, good pay, and good outside of work fun, then maybe that’s worth it. 
Also, what makes you and your friend think you may not be good at it? You’ve already demonstrated knowledge on here about exercise etc. 

Look, I get what your mate is saying, but I also think it is worth asking yourself, a somewhat negative question like,  what is the likelihood that you’d make it to that dream job? If you don’t succeed and you’re 30-31 would you know for sure you wouldn’t go down the law/marketing path? 
I’m that age now mate and trust me, in our country, we are still young and you can still choose what you want to do.

I went to uni at 19 to study something I thought I’d be interested in (sports management and marketing), the only two reasons I wouldn’t change my decision if I could go back in time is 1) I was young and had time to sort things out and 2) it’s where it got me now. As you’ve mentioned - you are anxious about age/ don’t want to waste time. I think that’s a factor financially. If you feel you need to get into an industry because of career/money/secure employment then that makes it harder - and I get the concerns then. If not then, chase the dream? 

What does your gut say? 

6 hours ago, nudge said:

I quit academia years ago en route to my PhD for similar reasons, so I can relate somewhat (although I had both good and bad experiences) - that said, if you're not looking for an academic career, then getting the company to pay for your education is surely a no brainer?... Especially considering  it's an online programme so your exposure to the actual bullshit of academia would be rather limited... Must also say I had some absolutely fantastic online courses too. 

Your right but my stomach is too weak to commit to staying at starbucks throughout the course, and my feet are itching to go home to Australia, what I desperately want isn't achievable and I'm stuck in a rut.

What am I supposed to do? I don't think my wife really has what it takes to move to Australia with me (maybe she does, but maybe I refuse that idea because I don't want her to go through with how I feel right now), I love her so much but I feel like I'm sacrificing too much of want I love. I feel inable to make any sort of change in my life for better or worse, because I feel the change would bring everything crashing down from the knife's edge

Edited by Spike