talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australians Only Thread

football forum

40 minutes ago, Cazza said:

Interesting story/fact for all our friends (who are not blessed from coming from the land down under) to try and make sense from. For some years I lived in Dampier in North Western Australia and continued the practice when living in Wanneroo. Every morning I would have to  bang my footwear on the floor before putting them on, I believe Queenslanders sleep with theirs on.... But why? I did the same when I met my partner and they considered me mad for doing it but I soon realised it was totally unnecessary in the UK. Do people in Australia still do this practice still?

Queenslanders sleep with their shoes on?

I always stamp on my shoes or bang then before putting them on. Spiders, spiders everywhere. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toinho said:

Queenslanders sleep with their shoes on?

I always stamp on my shoes or bang then before putting them on. Spiders, spiders everywhere. 

People used to leave their boots outside their door on the farm I worked on, tip  upside down every time. There was a shelter coming down from my door, walked out to the bathroom to brush my teeth and a red furry snake the size of your hand was just resting on my head. Still think a piece of me (shit) is still on that floor 😅 Smacked it off and it managed to climb from the floor to the ceiling in about a few seconds. Didn’t enter a room without looking up afterwards 😅

Someone else on the farm had a snake drop on their head, though apparently the climbers are less venomous. Lived in North Queensland for 6 months, never heard of people sleeping with shoes on....unless it was the meth lol

• Subscriber

Google threatens to withdraw search engine from Australia

Google has threatened to remove its search engine from Australia over the nation's attempt to make the tech giant share royalties with news publishers.

Australia is introducing a world-first law to make Google, Facebook and potentially other tech companies pay media outlets for their news content.

But the US firms have fought back, warning the law would make them withdraw some of their services.

Australian PM Scott Morrison said lawmakers would not yield to "threats".

Though Australia is far from Google's largest market, the proposed news code is seen as a possible global test case for how governments could seek to regulate big tech firms.

Australia's code would tie Google and Facebook to mediated negotiations with publishers over the value of news content if no agreement could be reached first.

Google Australia managing director Mel Silva told a Senate hearing on Friday that the laws were "unworkable".

"If this version of the code were to become law, it would give us no real choice but to stop making Google Search available in Australia," she said.

Edited by CaaC (John)

• Subscriber

Learning the Star Knowledge of First Australians

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people use their understanding of the night sky for a range of reasons.

astronomy-emu.jpg

image.thumb.png.82b9705836e852b8719bbf97a8bfb64c.png

By Peter Reeve and Duane Hamacher.

What comes to mind when you think of an “astronomer”? Perhaps a scientist peering through a telescope, contemplating the origins of the Universe? Unfortunately, this is rarely the case.

These days, a vast majority of professional astronomers spend their time behind computers instead. Modern telescopes are computer-controlled and hooked up to an array of high-precision instruments used to record vast quantities of high-precision data, far beyond the capabilities of the human eye. Astronomy is an exciting job, but only about 10,000 people work as professional astronomers today.

The work of an astronomer is one of the oldest skilled professions in the world. In ancient times, people observed the Sun, Moon and stars to navigate across land and sea, to understand the cycles of nature, and to predict seasonal changes, weather patterns, and the behaviour of plants and animals. This science is something that First Australians developed long ago. Knowledge of the stars is also used as a guide for informing traditional Law, social behaviours, kinship systems, and marriage classes – a practice that continues today.

Some of this knowledge is known communally, but the role of an astronomer is usually the responsibility of highly knowledgeable individuals who observe the rising and setting of particular stars throughout the year and keep track of the motions of the Sun, the phases of the Moon, and movements of the planets. “Indigenous astronomy” is more than the star knowledge of Indigenous people: it is the First Astronomy – the science of the stars that existed before, and independently of, the development of Western science.

The body of knowledge developed and maintained by traditional astronomers is rich and complex. Every single object in the night sky has a name, a meaning, and a link to the land. This body of knowledge is committed to memory through a powerful and enduring system of oral tradition. This utilises the power of story, song and dance to teach new generations, who memorise the information using the “method of loci”. This technique involves associating a memory or bit of information to a place or object, such as a feature in the land or sky.  This is why Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people talk about the importance of the stars and maintaining a close connection to Country. Laws, kinship and travel routes are all encoded in the stars. This idea is encapsulated in the title of Warwick Thornton’s 2017 film about the Southern Cross, We Don’t Need a Map – it’s already there, in the stars.

Patterns in the stars

In the western Torres Strait, an astronomer is called Zugubau Mabaig (ZOO-goo-bahl Mah-BAIG), which literally translates to “star person”. The name is derived from a traditional story about Thoegay (TOE-guy). Thoegay was a fierce warrior, skilled fisherman and an expert hunter. Long ago, he embarked on a fishing expedition with his brother and first mate, Kang, and a crew of 12 men called Zugubals. Thoegay stood at the bow of the canoe, Kang at the stern, with six men on either side rowing.

During a long fishing expedition, the canoe stopped near a reef, but the men had little luck catching any fish. Thoegay left to find a more suitable spot. As the day grew hot and the men grew tired, they began consuming their rations, including the water rations of Kang and Thoegay.

When Thoegay returned he erupted in fury and killed the 12 crew. Thoegay placed them in the sky as Usal (OOh-sahl) and Uthiyamal (OOT-yah-mal), the stars known to Western astronomers as the Pleiades and the ‘belt and scabbard’ stars of Orion, respectively.

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

Crocodile Dundee lives on xD

Australian man survives crocodile attack by 'prising jaws off his head

thumbnail_20210127_152711.thumb.jpg.682b728f97a7bc27c6499fc5f79c5b1b.jpg

A man has survived a crocodile attack in northern Australia by prising the animal's jaws from his head, according to health officials.

The 44-year-old told medics he was swimming in Lake Placid in Queensland when he was attacked by a saltwater crocodile that he described as being 1.5m to 2m (4.9ft to 6.5ft) long.

He was taken to hospital with multiple "minor lacerations".

Officials said the man was lucky to escape without more serious injuries.

Critical care paramedic Paul Sweeney said the man was "remarkably calm" when emergency responders arrived at the scene on Thursday.

"What he said to us was that a crocodile had bitten his head and in his effort to remove the jaws of the crocodile, he put his hands in to try and prise the jaws apart. In the process of trying to remove his hands, the jaws snapped shut on his forefinger," he told reporters.

Mr Sweeney said that following the attack the man swam a considerable distance back to shore and pulled himself onto the bank.

"It was clear from our assessment of him that there were puncture marks [on his head]," he said.

He was later taken to Cairns Hospital, where an official told the BBC he was in a stable condition.

Mr Sweeney told reporters the man - who has not been publicly named - had been swimming in the lake three times a week for about eight years, and said he "would not be surprised if he ventured into those waters again for further exercise".

Queensland Environment Department said it was sending wildlife officers to Lake Placid "to obtain further information about the nature of the attack and any further management action required".

"We are reminding people that Lake Placid and the Cairns region are known Croc Country and urge people in the area to always be Crocwise," it said.

The department said people should expect crocodiles in all far northern Queensland waterways, and urged them to avoid using canoes and kayaks and stand back from the water's edge when fishing, among other guidance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55837971

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Yes. I put my diamond tipped mushroom tip in the dirt and did a never ending spinaroonie until my penis unscrewed itself from my groin and spun out of control, surfacing in Russia, 1908. 

Those were the days 

Bent.