talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australians Only Thread

football forum

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

There is a small hipster brewerey on every fucking street corner. 

There is also a mall where every 2nd shop is a cafe 

There is a lot more too it than how you make it sound.

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Sure, I'm just pointing out that we have these things. 

Yeah, I wouldn’t know, and I wouldn’t know the BBL output of these places. I imagine some would produce a decent amount. I wonder what the typical pay is.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t know, and I wouldn’t know the BBL output of these places. I imagine some would produce a decent amount. I wonder what the typical pay is.

Sydney is also an hour away. many people commute. 

But yeah, I know most here are small, brewing about 10 different flavors, selling by the box and otc, in buildings housing about 50 ppl max. 

My local is principle. No parking, holds 50ish, has a fried chicken food truck out front, 10 flavors, but it's one of the smaller. 

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Sydney is also an hour away. many people commute. 

But yeah, I know most here are small, brewing about 10 different flavors, selling by the box and otc, in buildings housing about 50 ppl max. 

My local is principle. No parking, holds 50ish, has a fried chicken food truck out front, 10 flavors, but it's one of the smaller. 

My concern is a little different. To get the best of both worlds, it cannot be too small or too large. Too small and you’re the only guy that can do something and you’re working three days a week for 14 hours, too large and you might end up on third shift working over night. The place I am at right now has a great schedule 40 hours a week, never work on weekends, and I often get to leave early. Now the benefits aren’t great but they are by Yankee standards. 

I am in a good position now to learn a lot of shit, I could easily end up doing cellar or brew work.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Spike said:

@Toinho

@Devil-Dick Willie

@Harry

So we are slowly but surely arranging things to immigrate to Australia. Ideally it’d be ASAP but with the housing market it’s all about patience, even though my homesickness is slowly killing me. I am kind of out of the loop having not rented since 2014, so any of your experiences with bank loans, mortgages, renting, would be really helpful for me. Especially since the three of you live in very different areas of the country, and I’m not opposed to living in any of them, although the Brisbane area is ideal because that’s closest to home, and I am very much a dyed in the wool Qlder.

Slowly exciting!

We bought our home at the end of 2020. Fire away with any questions and I will do my best to answer. Prior to that I was renting for a few years.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Slowly exciting!

We bought our home at the end of 2020. Fire away with any questions and I will do my best to answer. Prior to that I was renting for a few years.

Ah so you bought with only the second worst interest rate in Australian history, I hope it is going well for you though. I generally know little about Perth and Freo. How hard is it to get a bank loan for a mortgage?

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

Ah so you bought with only the second worst interest rate in Australian history, I hope it is going well for you though. I generally know little about Perth and Freo. How hard is it to get a bank loan for a mortgage?

Depends on interest rates. If they're low the banks will give one to anyone with a pulse. If they're high you're fuked. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I bought when interest rates were just over 2% I think that was a good time. However, now isn't too pleasant. I did renegotiate recently and got .47% off woo, only for it to go up again .5% the next day ha ha. We are fine, we could've loaned a mil but took out nowhere near that as I knew things could take a poor turn eventually.

Perth way more affordable than most if not all the other major cities. However, still a bit insane. I wouldn't touch the market at the moment, see what interest rates and housing prices do over the next 6-12 months.

If you've got 20% deposit you'll get a loan no worries (edit: must say if you have a steady income that can show you can make the repayments). If you've got under you'll be paying a bit of LMI (lenders mortgage insurance I think that stands for). Having okay savings + steady permanent job really helps. I would say full time work (contract based) you'd have less luck depending on other financial factors.

Edited by Toinho

6 hours ago, Toinho said:

I bought when interest rates were just over 2% I think that was a good time. However, now isn't too pleasant. I did renegotiate recently and got .47% off woo, only for it to go up again .5% the next day ha ha. We are fine, we could've loaned a mil but took out nowhere near that as I knew things could take a poor turn eventually.

Perth way more affordable than most if not all the other major cities. However, still a bit insane. I wouldn't touch the market at the moment, see what interest rates and housing prices do over the next 6-12 months.

If you've got 20% deposit you'll get a loan no worries (edit: must say if you have a steady income that can show you can make the repayments). If you've got under you'll be paying a bit of LMI (lenders mortgage insurance I think that stands for). Having okay savings + steady permanent job really helps. I would say full time work (contract based) you'd have less luck depending on other financial factors.

Loaned 1 mil? That is insane.

34 minutes ago, Spike said:

Loaned 1 mil? That is insane.

At the time, two permanent full time teachers (our wages are public knowledge if you know where to look)... but if we did that (or even half of that) we would be pretty screwed right now.

Edited by Toinho

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

At the time, two permanent full time teachers (our wages are public knowledge if you know where to look)... but if we did that (or even half of that) we would be pretty screwed right now.

That’s an outrageous loan. Unless teachers earn more than I thought, but still I wouldn’t have thought two teachers would be taking more than 150,000 together

9 hours ago, Spike said:

That’s an outrageous loan. Unless teachers earn more than I thought, but still I wouldn’t have thought two teachers would be taking more than 150,000 together

If we both worked full time right now, definitely more than that, I have just hit 6 figures (before tax) agree that loan amount was baffling though - I’m not sure how serious our broker was he didn’t suggest we take that much out though lol 

We knew we would be down to a single income for a couple of years so played it safe.

Edited by Toinho

8 minutes ago, Toinho said:

If we both worked full time right now, definitely more than that, I have just hit 6 figures (before tax) agree that loan amount was baffling though - I’m not sure how serious our broker was he didn’t suggest we take that much out though lol 

We knew we would be down to a single income for a couple of years so played it safe.

Why is that you earn that much but some teachers earn a pittance? I don’t get it

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Why is that you earn that much but some teachers earn a pittance? I don’t get it

No teachers in Australia earn a pittance. My state isn’t even the best paid. In the public sector, teachers go up pay scales every 12 months of service for the first 9 years. You don’t start off that great, but it’s still pretty liveable. 

Teachers wages are being outraced by inflation at the moment, but mostly the NSW strikes were against working conditions, and the low barriers to entry (there are people with Atars under 50 doing teaching degrees right now in NSW)
I banged a uni chick from exercise science who had an atar of 65 or so and let me tell you she was not bright hahahahahaha. 

14 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Teachers wages are being outraced by inflation at the moment, but mostly the NSW strikes were against working conditions, and the low barriers to entry (there are people with Atars under 50 doing teaching degrees right now in NSW)
I banged a uni chick from exercise science who had an atar of 65 or so and let me tell you she was not bright hahahahahaha. 

We have teachers (good teachers though) who can’t spell. I’m afraid it’s not just teachers but administration too. Interesting world this education one. Then there are teachers who are clearly academic but aren’t good teachers. Fine balance. 

4 minutes ago, Toinho said:

We have teachers (good teachers though) who can’t spell. I’m afraid it’s not just teachers but administration too. Interesting world this education one. Then there are teachers who are clearly academic but aren’t good teachers. Fine balance. 

I would be a woeful teacher. I have managed to teach the 2 14 year olds who stack shelves at my bottleshop to stop being homophobic though. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I would be a woeful teacher. I have managed to teach the 2 14 year olds who stack shelves at my bottleshop to stop being homophobic though. 

That’s huge. Good stuff! I don’t think I’ll teach too much longer - I’ll get to long service leave and reconsider. The cons are starting to take its toll on my health. 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

This sounds like a shitty magical movie from 1992 where two kids come of age.

One man becomes the teacher he never thought he could be, and two boys become the men they are supposed to. Coming this summer, The Silver Linings of Pooftas. Rated G for Disney.

• Haha 2