talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australians Only Thread

football forum

In other news I received a parcel today from my uncle, a birthday-cum-Chrissy present. It perfectly embodies my nature as a big dicked Queenslander, where the bananas are yellow, the toads are big, the inter-state rugby trophies plentiful. I knew the answer before I even unwrapped the parcel, a psychic message travelled my fingers and into my brain, I knew it was rugby supporter clothes, how could it not be? A package travelling across the globe from central Queensland not having anything related to rugby in it? Nonsense. A Maroons flanno, and a pair of shorts adorned with copious cane toads perfectly representative of our abundant and superior sugar cane crops. Refrain your chubs boys, it's gonna get tight downstairs.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

who is reporting on  that?

ABC and SMH.

Articles of Turnbull's statements and friends of the woman taking a direction towards the need for an independent inquiry, and calling for the accused to step forward and speak publically to the accusations

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

ABC and SMH.

Articles of Turnbull's statements and friends of the woman taking a direction towards the need for an independent inquiry, and calling for the accused to step forward and speak publically to the accusations

classic from them, reporting on an old incident with a former PM to obfuscate the current scenario.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Didn't realise you hailed from that far north

@Spike

Not really, I'm from South-west QLD

• Subscriber

Well, @Cazza, that's my Blues (Carlton) got beaten by the Saints (St. Kilda) at the Marvel Stadium in a high scoring match, 15 - 9 - 99 v 109 - 11 - 125  in the opening rounds of Aussie Rules, your Eagles (West Coast) play the Dockers (Freemantle) on Sunday, some hope for my Blues is they never got thrashed, at least I can enjoy watching some Aussie rules again now it's started up. :D

Edited by CaaC (John)

On 02/03/2021 at 08:09, Spike said:

In other news I received a parcel today from my uncle, a birthday-cum-Chrissy present. It perfectly embodies my nature as a big dicked Queenslander, where the bananas are yellow, the toads are big, the inter-state rugby trophies plentiful. I knew the answer before I even unwrapped the parcel, a psychic message travelled my fingers and into my brain, I knew it was rugby supporter clothes, how could it not be? A package travelling across the globe from central Queensland not having anything related to rugby in it? Nonsense. A Maroons flanno, and a pair of shorts adorned with copious cane toads perfectly representative of our abundant and superior sugar cane crops. Refrain your chubs boys, it's gonna get tight downstairs.

Cane toads are evil 

On 02/03/2021 at 07:47, Spike said:

if my boy albo doesn’t get elected who the fuck will? dunno how they can spin his story negatively, grew up with a single mum on housing and welfare, dad ditched him, he can play the Namibian consulate card because his aforementioned dad is italian, supports and is a member of the most working class rugby team in sydney,  has mad taste in music,  starting out washing dishes on casual and penalty rates, goes out and pays for groceries for bushfire victims, fights so old people dont die in poverty, what do people want? he is probably the most down to earth aussie battler you could ask for

Albo is ten times the person Scomo is. But I'm not convinced that he's an effective opposition leader, especially against such a PR photo-op heavy PM as Morrison.

The preferred pm polling data supports this unfortunately, I think because he just lacks the charisma to break through. A bit similar to shorten.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Albo is ten times the person Scomo is. But I'm not convinced that he's an effective opposition leader, especially against such a PR photo-op heavy PM as Morrison.

The preferred pm polling data supports this unfortunately, I think because he just lacks the charisma to break through. A bit similar to shorten.

he doesnt lack any charisma, i follow his facebook page and there are a lot of photo ops as well and the guy has jokes; a million times more charisma than scumo but the difference is that his social media presence is not in a constant state of regurgitation like scumo’s. people are beaten over the head to like scunto and the latest newsline is that albo is [not an effective opposition leader] you have essentially fed to me verbatim the propaganda model that the msn are running on albo and did run on shorten

3 hours ago, Toinho said:

Cane toads are evil 

cane toads are disgusting creatures that ruin the endemic species of australia but they are not evil, just following their nature. the stupidity of those that introduced them is evil

29 minutes ago, Spike said:

cane toads are disgusting creatures that ruin the endemic species of australia but they are not evil, just following their nature. the stupidity of those that introduced them is evil

Aye. It isn’t their fault. Apparently they’re up in the north of WA now too 

5 hours ago, Spike said:

he doesnt lack any charisma, i follow his facebook page and there are a lot of photo ops as well and the guy has jokes; a million times more charisma than scumo but the difference is that his social media presence is not in a constant state of regurgitation like scumo’s. people are beaten over the head to like scunto and the latest newsline is that albo is [not an effective opposition leader] you have essentially fed to me verbatim the propaganda model that the msn are running on albo and did run on shorten

Except that I consume zero mainstream media other than ABC and guardian and Twitter, wouldn't touch anything Murdoch and haven't watched a tv news bulletin in years.

62 vs 26% is damning mate. Albo is unfortunate, like all opposition leaders in Australia with covid given incumbents a boost and Scomo doing absolutely nothing to create a sense of bipartisanship or give Labor a look in with the national cabinet.

This current scandal is the closest thing yet that could shake it up, but I think it would take an opposition leader as relentlessly negative as Tony Abbott to hammer it home all the way through to the election to get within touching distance.

15 hours ago, Harry said:

Except that I consume zero mainstream media other than ABC and guardian and Twitter, wouldn't touch anything Murdoch and haven't watched a tv news bulletin in years.

62 vs 26% is damning mate. Albo is unfortunate, like all opposition leaders in Australia with covid given incumbents a boost and Scomo doing absolutely nothing to create a sense of bipartisanship or give Labor a look in with the national cabinet.

This current scandal is the closest thing yet that could shake it up, but I think it would take an opposition leader as relentlessly negative as Tony Abbott to hammer it home all the way through to the election to get within touching distance.

ABC is run by the sitting party. AKA the libs. 
And as Spike just said, that 62 vs 26 has nothing to do with anyones personality. At all. If news reporting was just an unbias telling of current events you think the smirking greasy coal fondling rapist protector would be 62%? The guy who was in Hawaii for the bushfires? 

Fuck you're naïve.  

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

ABC is run by the sitting party. AKA the libs. 
And as Spike just said, that 62 vs 26 has nothing to do with anyones personality. At all. If news reporting was just an unbias telling of current events you think the smirking greasy coal fondling rapist protector would be 62%? The guy who was in Hawaii for the bushfires? 

Fuck you're naïve.  .

There's a reason the 2 party preferred vote is ~50 50, and the preferred pm is 62 26.

I’m not huge into politics and there’s a fair bit I don’t fully understand, including, how Morrison has so much support. You just need to listen to him and see his body and facial language to see what a slug he is. Actions speak louder than words... Hawaii...this whole latest fucked shit with Porter.... it’s just so disappointing to see him as our leader.

I do think that if we had an opposition leader who was “stronger” labor could win the next election but I don’t see them winning it unfortunately. Lesser of two evils though IMO. And happy that at state level we should have McGowan back in.

Edited by Toinho

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

I’m not huge into politics and there’s a fair bit I don’t fully understand, including, how Morrison has so much support. You just need to listen to him and see his body and facial language to see what a slug he is. Actions speak louder than words... Hawaii...this whole latest fucked shit with Porter.... it’s just so disappointing to see him as our leader.

I do think that if we had an opposition leader who was “stronger” labor could win the next election but I don’t see them winning it unfortunately. Lesser of two evils though IMO. And happy that at state level we should have McGowan back in.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Harry said:

There's a reason the 2 party preferred vote is ~50 50, and the preferred pm is 62 26.

13 hours ago, Toinho said:

and we have gone over that reason. its because no one knows who the fuck albanese is, not only does he keep a low profile, but the media never reports on him. so when you ask an old cunt in qld if they prefer scunto or albo, they will probably pick scunto because they have never heard of albo, but they would still vote for labor over the libs because of the joh bjelke-petersen especially on a state level, it is much more complex in qld than most others. i shit you not people feel ‘sorry’ for scunto and that is why they like him because he is ‘trying’

polls are stupid anyway, are we america or something now? where did they poll? east sydney?  who are the pollera?i doubt they polled any safe labor seats. also the abc is funded by the libs and the guardian is foreign, so fuck em both.

Edited by Spike

• Subscriber

Space debris? SCOOP it up!

An innovative proposal might make all the difference to de-junking near-Earth space.

download.thumb.png.696d7e59c0b3083e8da8e50cd839850c.png

A network of mobile observatories deployed across Australia’s vast expanse could be a new weapon in the battle against dangerous space debris.

The Southern Cross Outreach Observatory Project (SCOOP) already takes a mobile observatory – towed by an SUV – into communities to teach people about astronomy.

Project founder Muhammad Akbar Hussain presented the idea to the Inquiry into Developing Australia’s Space Industry this week and hopes to create a detailed database of where space junk is – and where it’s going. The next step would be to use high-quality data to de-orbit debris with lasers.

SCOOP’s submission to the Parliamentary inquiry describes it as “a network of special-purpose mobile observatories capable of rapid deployment in remote areas to visually track space debris and develop a comprehensive and accurate database of their orbits and trajectories”.

Low Earth Orbit (LEO) is getting increasingly busy, sparking concerns about Kessler Syndrome, where runaway collisions between spent rockets, satellites and other junk could cripple access to LEO.

Flinders University space archaeologist Alice Gorman – known as “Dr Space Junk” – says Kessler Syndrome was the “worst-case scenario”, and would have very significant consequences.

“If LEO became unusable that would mean a lot of LEO satellites that we rely on for weather management, bushfire management… would be severely compromised. Telecommunications satellites might not work,” she says.

SCOOP, a not-for-profit science initiative, uses its 2.3m observatory to promote the space industry but thinks the idea could be extended to Space Situational Awareness.

“A network of mobile observatories (using optical, infrared, radar, imaging, astrophotography, etc.) can be remotely linked to each other to create one large instrument,” Hussain notes.

Deploying the equipment quickly to remote locations would fill a gap in space observation by finding the best positions, taking into account the weather, light pollution, the trajectory of specific junk, and other variables.

Hussain gives the example of an observatory in southern Western Australia picking up the object/s, which can then be followed by another station in Central Australia and another further north. A second transit could be tracked by units moved along the calculated trajectory of the debris.

“The acquired data can then be uploaded and processed to create details maps of the accurate positions of space debris for any given time in (the future),” he writes.

“This data can be used to calculate the expected time of transit and attributes of the trajectory of the debris of concern for ground-based laser systems to the highest level of precision. This will help these systems to deorbit the debris with pinpoint accuracy by choosing the type of laser, its wattage and exact direction.

“Multiple laser beams from different locations focusing on a single piece of debris may make this process even quicker.”

Gorman says there are already optical observatories and “a huge number of people actively tracking space debris” – including LeoLabs in New Zealand the Exmouth Telescope in WA.

“But it’s recognised that our data is very poor, there are huge chunks of stuff that we can’t track or identify,” she says.

“The idea of having mobile observatories is a great one… because we (in Australia) have the landmass and the expertise and the capability it would make a lot of sense. That could be one component of many.”

She said it might not be as simple as creating a mobile array and deploying it, but that Hussain’s idea was the “sort of creative thinking we ought to be encouraging”.

“The worst-case scenario is the Kessler Syndrome, in which there’d be a self-sustaining cascade of a collision that would continue and create more junk even if we didn’t launch anything more into orbit,” Gorman says, pointing to the launch of “mega-constellations” of satellites – such as SpaceX’s Starlink – clogging up space, where objects travelling at 7–8km a second can cause extraordinary damage.

“That makes launching things into LEO particularly dangerous.”

Gorman also applauds SCOOP’s outreach work.

“Given the political obstacles to getting any sort of agreement on how to manage space junk, public support is really critical to getting something done,” she says.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/astrophysics/space-debris-scoop-it-up/