talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australians Only Thread

football forum

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

It's actually scary. I know they're about 1% of the population, but add the sky news crazies too, and you've got a good number of fucked in the head apes ready to rumble. 

Most of them are the sort that say shit like 'yeah nah mate don't like them curry munchers, except you though Raj you're a good one'

• Haha 1

It actually gets my brain fried, they are racist but they also aren't. Like fuck me sideways, some people were very nice to my Asian wife when I was home last but also had One Nation signs on their fences.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

It actually gets my brain fried, they are racist but they also aren't. Like fuck me sideways, some people were very nice to my Asian wife when I was home last but also had One Nation signs on their fences.

They're racist deep down, but also too scared to be openly racist while out in the open. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

They're racist deep down, but also too scared to be openly racist while out in the open. 

I really don’t think so. People tend to think of racism as this cut and dried thing but I think it is much more complex and nuanced

• Administrator

They just think if they're friends with an Asian it doesn't make them racist. Or they're just blissfully unaware that their words or actions can be racist without realising the nuance can be there because they're too thick-skulled and narrow-minded to understand anything out of their own world view. 

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

I really don’t think so. People tend to think of racism as this cut and dried thing but I think it is much more complex and nuanced

I think there's mainly two types of racists, the first group gain some sort of power from it be it political or even just socially in a local setting and so use it for their own benefit. Then the second group generally grow up in impoverished areas, part of the white working class that generally don't do too well at school, and whilst they may not specifically hate or dislike anyone in person, they will repeat slurs and believe in wider conspiracies or stereotypes that are delivered to them by politicians, or by their friends/family network who will eventually get it from politicians/public figures.

I grew up around people that would use the P word multiple times in a day and then at the same time were close friends with people of south Asian heritage, and then when they were alone again would go back to using the word. There doesn't really seem like much logic to that, but I think it's a collision of nature vs nurture where both sides seem to have a 50/50ish hold.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

I think there's mainly two types of racists, the first group gain some sort of power from it be it political or even just socially in a local setting and so use it for their own benefit. Then the second group generally grow up in impoverished areas, part of the white working class that generally don't do too well at school, and whilst they may not specifically hate or dislike anyone in person, they will repeat slurs and believe in wider conspiracies or stereotypes that are delivered to them by politicians, or by their friends/family network who will eventually get it from politicians/public figures.

I grew up around people that would use the P word multiple times in a day and then at the same time were close friends with people of south Asian heritage, and then when they were alone again would go back to using the word. There doesn't really seem like much logic to that, but I think it's a collision of nature vs nurture where both sides seem to have a 50/50ish hold.

Why do they have to be white working class? I think that is nonsense and a racist thing to say in itself.

56 minutes ago, Danny said:

What specifically makes you think that?

You pointed out a very specific group as having a trait you dislike. You also said they were one of two main groups, which implies to me no other groups have large issues with being racist. Mate, your South Asian friends could have been doing the exact same thing when the white guys weren’t around, you just wouldn’t know because your only privy to experiencing the racism of the group you belong to. To me it seems like you are unfairly pigeonholing a group of people based on your own experiences, which is pretty much racism. Not that I think you are at all, but it makes all he people in that group that don’t feel that way hard done by. I know this feeling becuase being from the bush you are automatically assumed to be dumb, drunk, and racist, unlike they oh so refined suburban and urban dwellers.

Did you also assume that all the people with the One Nation signs in my hometown are white, working class, and uneducated? I think you would have, and you’d be wrong.

Edited by Spike

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

You pointed out a very specific group as having a trait you dislike. You also said they were one of two main groups, which implies to me no other groups have large issues with being racist. Mate, your South Asian friends could have been doing the exact same thing when the white guys weren’t around, you just wouldn’t know because your only privy to experiencing the racism of the group you belong to. To me it seems like you are unfairly pigeonholing a group of people based on your own experiences, which is pretty much racism. Not that I think you are at all, but it makes all he people in that group that don’t feel that way hard done by. I know this feeling becuase being from the bush you are automatically assumed to be dumb, drunk, and racist, unlike they oh so refined suburban and urban dwellers.

Did you also assume that all the people with the One Nation signs in my hometown are white, working class, and uneducated? I think you would have, and you’d be wrong.

I didn't state all working class people are racist, I just broke down the two main types that I think you'd encounter. Being the people in positions of power who have money to gain from it (generally upper middle/upper class, but can be anyone thats worked their way up financially to that point) and then people who are taken advantage of as a voting block who are generally, but not always, apart of the working classes, that's just how politics works.

When I used personal examples I was using them to further explain the point of people who are taken advantage of by wider systems, not stating all working class people are inherently racist or that all working class people contribute towards it. I used it in reference to what you was saying because it seemed similar to what you was saying, not because I was assuming all working class people in Australia are racist dumb dumbs.

And no I didn't assume that.

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

Also this is the Australia thread, take the English problems to the UK thread

Racism is a global problem with global equivalencies...it's also difficult to talk about racism in Australia and disconnect it from the UK considering Australian racism was literally imported from the UK.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

I didn't state all working class people are racist, I just broke down the two main types that I think you'd encounter. Being the people in positions of power who have money to gain from it (generally upper middle/upper class, but can be anyone thats worked their way up financially to that point) and then people who are taken advantage of as a voting block who are generally, but not always, apart of the working classes, that's just how politics works.

When I used personal examples I was using them to further explain the point of people who are taken advantage of by wider systems, not stating all working class people are inherently racist or that all working class people contribute towards it. I used it in reference to what you was saying because it seemed similar to what you was saying, not because I was assuming all working class people in Australia are racist dumb dumbs.

And no I didn't assume that.

Fair enough

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Racism is a global problem with global equivalencies...it's also difficult to talk about racism in Australia and disconnect it from the UK considering Australian racism was literally imported from the UK.

I wasn’t being serious

@Spike in fairness my writing style online can be quite intense and come across as a lecture rather than me giving my opinion, which is completely different to how I operate in person which is much more conversational/curious. In my head when I'm writing it is just an opinion forward but I think it comes across much more direct than that. I think it's the dopamine hits and what I understand to be undiagnosed ADHD that force me into chucking 3 paragraphs of arguments out every time a real world issue is brought up...if that was a conversation in a pub it probably would have ended quickly in an "oh, fair enough" at some point or another xD

• Like 1

Just now, Danny said:

@Spike in fairness my writing style online can be quite intense and come across as a lecture rather than me giving my opinion, which is completely different to how I operate in person which is much more conversational/curious. In my head when I'm writing it is just an opinion forward but I think it comes across much more direct than that. I think it's the dopamine hits and what I understand to be undiagnosed ADHD that force me into chucking 3 paragraphs of arguments out every time a real world issue is brought up...if that was a conversation in a pub it probably would have ended quickly in an "oh, fair enough" at some point or another xD

Yeah I had the feeling I was getting the wrong impression, that is why I wasn’t being overly critical or accusatory, I even deleted a heap of stuff., but I still probably came off as aggressive even though I wasn’t trying to be, I think I can just write too bluntly. It is easy to do when something so intense has been smashed out in a  few minutes

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spike said:

Yeah I had the feeling I was getting the wrong impression, that is why I wasn’t being overly critical or accusatory, I even deleted a heap of stuff., but I still probably came off as aggressive even though I wasn’t trying to be, I think I can just write too bluntly. It is easy to do when something so intense has been smashed out in a  few minutes

I literally deleted a paragraph because I was about to go full on and create more questions than answers hence me asking you to specify.

Away from internet induced arguments, I've just nearly completed an essay for Uni which is based on the connection of race and racism which has been very interesting to read and understand the origins of the creation of a racial hierarchy.

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Tasmania only has a literacy rate of 50% !!? Like they can't read write at all ?

Tasmanian have two heads each, but only one head can read at a time, so technically it is 100%

• Haha 1

@Aladdin but really it is relative literacy. So they can all 'read' just not very well. There would be very few truly illiterate people. Just like the Australian threshold for 'poverty' would be higher than say Pakistan's or South Africa's. It really should be 'reading comprehension' or something similar.

• Upvote 1