talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Enzo Fernandez - Chelsea Sign Midfielder from Benfica

53 minutes ago, Danny said:

Fernandez was brilliant at the World Cup, one of Argentina's rising stars. Can't say I've seen him much at Benfica though so not sure what the price should be, but clubs are always going to bump the price after a World Cup.

Based off of his contributions in Qatar I think he would suit Chelsea well, they need more players centrally who can not only defend but can also pass through defensive lines. He would definitely compliment Mount, Sterling, Havertz etc.

He's a genuine upgrade on Jorginho in every aspect, something we've been crying out for, for years. 

A Midfield three of Enzo, Kovacic, and Nkunku completely transforms the team. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having watched Liverpool's underwhelming performance today, I think they could really have done with signing a player of Fernandez's quality. But Chelsea look like they are the ones having the last laugh here, as they seem to have bagged themselves a world class player in Fernandez. 

29 minutes ago, Michael said:

Having watched Liverpool's underwhelming performance today, I think they could really have done with signing a player of Fernandez's quality. But Chelsea look like they are the ones having the last laugh here, as they seem to have bagged themselves a world class player in Fernandez. 

We don’t need him, Bajcetic has looked half decent and that sick note Arthur might be fit in a month so who needs another midfielder.  

14 hours ago, Danny said:

Fernandez was brilliant at the World Cup, one of Argentina's rising stars. Can't say I've seen him much at Benfica though so not sure what the price should be, but clubs are always going to bump the price after a World Cup.

Based off of his contributions in Qatar I think he would suit Chelsea well, they need more players centrally who can not only defend but can also pass through defensive lines. He would definitely compliment Mount, Sterling, Havertz etc.

He is somewhat overrated at this point. Chelsea fans expecting the second coming of Modric will be disappointed.

I like him a lot but twitter overreacted because he scored a wonder goal and now his price tag is bollocks, which would be good for us, if it wasn't for the small problem that we're probably selling him with no replacement until July.

• The title was changed to Enzo Fernandez - Chelsea in Talks with Benfica Midfielder

Can't see how you can justify the price.   Yes he had a great World Cup, but he was playing in a team that was given every advantage by the officials to get Messi a World Cup.  Plus how many players have great World Cups, securing a move to a big club where they never raise to those heights again?

He's a young kid who has played 14 games in Portugal and a handful of games in the Champions League.  How can anyone pay ten times what he was bought for a few months ago?

I hope for Chelsea's sake he does come good and chances are better that he will, but he could just as easily turn out to be an average player.

I doubt our results will improve with him straight away. Yet despite his age he also has no real weaknesses, is already better than Jorginho at pretty much everything and is young enough to massively improve everywhere.

I guess at the end of the day you pay for how important a signing he is for you at this particular moment in time. There is no doubt Chelsea are crying out for more in midfield.

Big fee. I never saw him at Benfica but he did impress me at the World Cup. He grew as that tournament went on and I think it's massively unfair to lessen the impact he had on that team by saying it was more about what Messi did or the officials, because that's simply not true.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chelsea looked to get Alexis MacAllister too to work with him. Yes there is the obvious connection with Potter but they worked so well together at the World Cup too and MacAllister is proven in this league.

We shall see.

This move seems to have hit a snag, Benfica want all the cash up front, while Chelsea want to spread it over three years,  

Can Chelsea pay the whole amount in January or will that cause problems with FFP, considering how much the new owners have already spent?

Massively embarrassing for Chelsea, don't think I've ever seen a club get called out like this before, definitely not a "top" club.

Boehly should make the short trip over to Brentford and give Matthew Benham a knock to find out how you actually run a football club.

Just gets worse. 

There was a verbal and written agreement in place between both clubs. This is why Romano, DiMarzio, and Tier 1 Argentine sources were reporting the deal was close to being done. The next day, Chelsea lawyers presented their contract agreement which was far below the originally agreed price. Benfica then backed down. 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Massively embarrassing for Chelsea, don't think I've ever seen a club get called out like this before, definitely not a "top" club.

Boehly should make the short trip over to Brentford and give Matthew Benham a knock to find out how you actually run a football club.

You can understand Benfica being mad and calling Chelsea out.  If Chelsea told Fernandez that they would meet or go higher than the price in his release clause than they have likely upset the player.  He's had his head turned and doesn't seem to want to remain at Benfica anymore.

This could derail Benfica's season, they suffered their first loss of the season last week and another loss and their in a three or four team dog fight for the title.

8 hours ago, Cicero said:

To promise the player and club one thing, only to completely back track is nothing more than pathetic and disrespectful. 

Boehly looking like a fool. 

When we were on the cusp of signing Simao from Benfica, he was on the plane ready to fly over when he was told the deal had fallen apart. Benfica don't give a fuck when they're selling - they want it done on their terms. And fair play to them, the player is in demand and sought after by incredibly wealthy clubs & this is the January window so the prices are always inflated.

Benfica are good at selling. Like I said earlier, I think the only way he moves this early is if the release clause is met - and his release clause says it's got to be paid in one lump payment. So I doubt they let him move unless Chelsea are willing to spend that much all at once.

• The title was changed to Enzo Fernandez - Chelsea Sign Midfielder from Benfica

Archived