talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Cup FINAL - Argentina (p) 3-3 France - Sunday 18th December, 2022

football forum

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

So if you had to pick  between England winning the world cup and Leicesters title win which would you pick?

Leicester by a mile and I'd pick a second title over an England World Cup too. Still think it's the best competition on earth though.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Also he is so much of a better leader than Ronaldo. You can see how much he inspires the team

The only current star I think who doesn't inspire his national team is Mbappe. Portugal has been overachieving, they should've missed one or two tournaments given they flirt with playoffs and do fuck all specially at WCs. 

7 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I do wonder if the England/Argentina rivalry isn't really there anymore? Obviously we haven't played each other in a long time and if we did it would be. But I'm not sure if England fans would cheer on Argentina opposition anymore. Where as before they probably would of 

From an argentinian perspective, yes, absolutely. England is the number one enemy. Above Brazil by a significant margin. Most of argentinian chants have some reference to the Malvinas. 

I find the relationship between Great Britain and Argentina  fascinating. Argentina is by far the most british country in Latin America, from a cultural  point of view. The popularity of rugby, hockey, the name of one of their biggest football clubs, there are signs of british influence all over the country. 

This vídeo is from today. The chant starts with "Ingleses putos/ De Malvinas no me olvido" ("F'ing english / I don't forget the Malvinas").

• Subscriber

Odd how no one mentions Zidane in any of these debates when it comes to the greatest football has ever seen. Forget the fact that he won a lot of accolades, but the man also coached a team to a CL final and all that's left on his dossier is coaching a NT to a final as well which may be possible if DesChamps decides he wants to retire. 

An absolutely fantastic final. I really enjoyed it. Argentina were by far the better side in the 1st half, with Messi and Di Maria running the show. Messi scored from a penalty to give Argentina the lead, after Di Maria was brought down in the penalty area. Then Di Maria himself scored Argentina's 2nd goal, finishing off with a lovely finish after a great passing move by Argentina. Mbappe then of course pulled a goal back in the 80th minute, with a well taken penalty, after Kolo Muani was brought down in the area. A minute later, Mbappe equalised for France, after he played a lovely one-two with Marcus Thuram and superbly volleyed home the return pass with venom and accuracy to score. It was an excellent second goal by Mbappe. Just before the end of the 90 minutes, Messi forced a great save from Lloris, after he blasted the ball goal-wards from outside the area. 

In extra-time, Lautaro Martinez missed a couple of great chances to score for Argentina. Messi had a snap-shot effort at goal saved by Lloris. Lloris then made another great save from Lautaro Martinez's close-range shot, but the rebound fell to Messi, who bundled the ball over the line and gave Argentina the lead once again. France then desperately threw men forward, looking for the equaliser. Mbappe fired in a long range effort, but his attempt was blocked by the arm of Montiel. The referee didn't hesitate to award another penalty. Mbappe duly stood up to take the penalty once again and he scored with little fuss, to complete his hattrick. I believe that is the first hattrick in a World Cup final, since our own Geoff Hurst scored a hattrick against Germany in the final of 1966. Kolo Muani then had a great chance to give France the lead, but his powerful shot, was excellently saved by Emiliano Martinez, the Argentinian goalkeeper. Argentina quickly counter-attacked after that, but Lautaro Martinez headed a cross well wide. The game would then go to penalties, with Mbappe and Messi both scoring their penalties. Coman and Tchouameni would then miss with their penalties and then Montiel ended up scoring the winning penalty for Argentina, to win them the World Cup.

It was a thoroughly entertaining match. Messi, Di Maria and Emiliano Martinez were the best Argentinian players on the night, while for France, Mbappe with his hattrick and Muani really stood out. Mbappe will feel hard done by, scoring a hattrick in a final, but still ending up on the losing side. But Mbappe is still young and has time on his side if he wants to try and win another World Cup. For Messi, I thought that it was fitting that he won his first ever World Cup, in what is likely to be his last international tournament. The spirit of Maradona did indeed inspire Messi, as Messi was excellent throughout this World Cup.

Talk about a big game player in Di Maria.

Scored the winners in the 2008 Olympic final and in the 2021 Copa America final.

Also scored in the Conembol Finalissima against Italy earlier this year, and now scores in the World Cup final.

That's all the titles they won this century so he did score in every final.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

This. This x infinity. I hate that Messi's triumph will be tarnished by this forever. 

Anyone that doesn't utterly despise Messi won't think that this triumph will be tarnished forever. 

Maradona is still regarded as one of the best despite actually cheating with a handball to score a goal. Is his triumph tarnished forever? Nope. 

8 hours ago, Beelzebub said:

Why did Martinez got the golden glove ? penalties come after 120 minutes and he has conceded 8 goals with mistakes of his own. Moroccon and Croatian keeper far more deserving.

They were probably scrambling around in the back somehow trying to change the rules to give Messi the golden boot as well so the Argentinian wankathon could be competed on that stage.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Anyone that doesn't utterly despise Messi won't think that this triumph will be tarnished forever. 

Maradona is still regarded as one of the best despite actually cheating with a handball to score a goal. Is his triumph tarnished forever? Nope. 

Maradona was at least up front about his cheating. Messi is a little snide that wants the world to think he’s a great guy when he’s actually Brutus.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Ummm Yes? The hand of god goal is famously vilified. And FAR more widely discussed than the other goal he scored that game, which is the greatest WC goal of all time. 

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

They were probably scrambling around in the back somehow trying to change the rules to give Messi the golden boot as well so the Argentinian wankathon could be competed on that stage.

Lucky twats.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Ummm Yes? The hand of god goal is famously vilified. And FAR more widely discussed than the other goal he scored that game, which is the greatest WC goal of all time. 

How can it be a 'yes' when he's still brought up in the discussion about being the greatest ever, and winning a World Cup is used as justification for that debate?

21 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Maradona was at least up front about his cheating. Messi is a little snide that wants the world to think he’s a great guy when he’s actually Brutus.

Genuine question, not trying to antagonise or be awkward, when has Messi ever cheated like Maradona did with that handball?

20 hours ago, Spike said:

It’s because I hate penalties not Messi, I have been posting on here for five fucking years how much I hate penalties and how they fucking ruin watching the sport,  not everything is about fucking Messi, I don’t even hate him, I literally said I wanted Argentina to win, you have no idea what you are talking about 

Goals should be minused from the opposition if penalties are scored instead of counting them as a goal. 

On how much it would mean.

Having personally felt close to all in this paragraph, an England Euro's win would likely be on a par with Villa winning a league title or FA Cup. For me personally. And it would not be a 2nd star. So would likely not last as long & famously as 1966 did.

An England World Cup win would likely beat all the above. Yes the knob-heads would enjoy it too much. Their opposite numbers would be appalled at the nationalism it would seem to represent. But millions upon millions of youngsters would be happy & inspired by a 2nd star. It would all be so much more real & repeatable again. Tell the stories of it to their kids & grandkids.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Genuine question, not trying to antagonise or be awkward, when has Messi ever cheated like Maradona did with that handball?

He literally handballed in this tournament and didn’t even get a card for it Ffs 🤣.

Just because he didn’t score from it. The action is completely the same. He’s been in the refs ears throughout the tournament as well. 

On Argentina to England. I don't think it means too much these days. The military in 1982 were those who had become military personnel voluntarily. As a career choice. And it got nowhere near England or Britain.

12 years after 1986, we lost on penalties. 4 years after that Beckham scored a penalty after Owen dived. With a little help from Nigeria a very average Argentina exited at the Group stage. For many, I suspect that was something of a line under the whole thing.

Germany probably does linger. Perhaps too much. As a perceived derby style rival. Because even 'young' football managers today likely grew up hearing of Great Uncles who never produced cousins for their own parents. Grew up in residential areas where odd large lumps in grassy areas were described as being old WWII bunkers. So the Germany rivalry lived on much more prominently. I suspect.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

He literally handballed in this tournament and didn’t even get a card for it Ffs 🤣.

Just because he didn’t score from it. The action is completely the same. He’s been in the refs ears throughout the tournament as well. 

Legit I think I missed that game so apologies.

Also, hardly like Messi is the only one to be in the refs ear all tournament - is that snide? And worthy of tarnishing him considering several other players either from Argentina or literally any team do so...?

5 hours ago, Machado said:

Talk about a big game player in Di Maria.

Scored the winners in the 2008 Olympic final and in the 2021 Copa America final.

Also scored in the Conembol Finalissima against Italy earlier this year, and now scores in the World Cup final.

That's all the titles they won this century so he did score in every final.

What's interesting with Di Maria is that he spends most of the tournament injured, but then plays the final and lifts the team. This is why I said they needed him in the team for this game. He made a huge difference. Great player. Everybody talks about how it has been the last world cup for many players but few people mention him. He should get alot more credit than he does. Another fantastic talent in what has been a great era in football. 

I don't know why Argentina took him off(atleast not for 15 mins) and then slowed down the tempo of their game. Di Maria, Messi and Mac Allister especially were having fun and the French couldn't handle them. Griezmann was brought back to reality. 

Argentina should really have gone on to win that game 4-0. 

From a neutral perspective though, the comeback at the end made for the greatest final ever and you can't complain. 

Archived