talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

football forum

• Subscriber

Martin Scorsese‘s The Irishman is turning into an epic reunion of giants. Robert De Niro and Al Pacino are starring in Scorsese’s Netflix movie, which Harvey Keitel and Joe Pesci have officially boarded. They’ll start working on The Irishman next month, when Scorsese starts shooting his gangster drama, which will digitally de-age its actors to tell a story spanning decades.

Below, learn more about The Irishman cast.

According to Deadline, Pesci, who hasn’t acted since 2010’s Love Ranch, turned down The Irishman more than a few times. Specifically, he apparently passed on the part of mob boss Russell Bufalino a good 50 times. From 1959 to 1989, Bufalino ruled the Northeastern Pennsylvania crime family. He was suspected of being involved in Jimmy Hoffa’s disappearance, who Frank “The Irishman” Sheehan (De Niro) claimed to have killed. Take one look at a photo of Bufalino, and it’s easy to see why Pesci ended up in that part.

The story of the film follows gangster and war veteran Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran , who killed 25 people and said he murdered Jimmy Hoffa, who went missing in 1975. Academy Award winner Steven Zaillian (Schindler’s List) wrote the script based on Charles Brandt’s book I Heard You Paint Houses.

There are no details on the role Keitel’s role. He hasn’t worked with Scorsese since The Last Temptation of Christ. Whether it’s a huge role or not, it’s fantastic to see him reunited with his Mean Streets director and co-star. Also confirmed to co-star in The Irishman is Bobby Cannavale, who Scorsese directed in the Vinyl pilot.

De Niro, Pacino, and Pesci will play their characters at the ages of 30, 50, and 70. A signifigant portion of the budget ($125 million) is going towards de-aging them. Producer Gaston Pavlovich (Silence) believes it’ll be like watching De Niro during the days of The Godfather: Part II.

Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/martin-scorseses-the-irishman-adds-joe-pesci-harvey-keitel-and-bobby-cannavale/

De Niro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Harvey Keitel in a mob movie directed by Scorsese, using new motion-capture technology to de-age the actors. Is anyone else excited about it? 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

I am. I've been following this project for some time now. Even Ray Romano is going to be in it :D 

And Bobby Cannavale! I loved his portrayal of Gyp Rosetti in Boardwalk Empire.

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

And Bobby Cannavale! I loved his portrayal of Gyp Rosetti in Boardwalk Empire.

Didn't know you were a fan of Boardwalk Empire. What a great series that was

As for this new work it will be interesting to see how it pans out. With modern CGI the way it is I am sure it will be well worth a watch

The cast looks fantastic

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

As for this new work it will be interesting to see how it pans out. With modern CGI the way it is I am sure it will be well worth a watch

The cast looks fantastic

I liked first three seasons a lot, wasn't a big fan of the last two though. All in all, a great series either way!

De Niro is one of my most favourite actors ever, so I'm very excited and hope this will turn out great.

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, nudge said:

De Niro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Harvey Keitel in a mob movie directed by Scorsese, using new motion-capture technology to de-age the actors. Is anyone else excited about it? 

Excited, yes! Glad it's finally happening :D

I've definitely got to give this one a watch.

For years I've struggled to find many great films(especially gangster/crime ones) that I actually enjoy. This may change that.

22 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

The cast looks fantastic

I keep meaning to watch through that on sky+ and I've flirted with the idea of watching it for over a year, but I just don't have the time these days to be consumed by series unfortunately.

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I've definitely got to give this one a watch.

For years I've struggled to find many great films(especially gangster/crime ones) that I actually enjoy. This may change that.

I keep meaning to watch through that on sky+ and I've flirted with the idea of watching it for over a year, but I just don't have the time these days to be consumed by series unfortunately.

Definitely watch Boardwalk empire mate it's brilliant. 

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Excited, yes! Glad it's finally happening :D

I still can't believe Paramount decided that it's "too risky" for them. Sure, Scorsese's last movie underperformed in cinemas (which was at least partially Paramount's fault, as the marketing for it was a disaster), but can a Jesuit pilgrimage pensive film on religion and meditation be compared to an all-star cast mob hit?.. I think they're making a big mistake here, while Netflix made just the right move and it might earn them their first Oscar. I can see this becoming the most anticipated movie in a long time, as hype will definitely pick up once the first trailer gets released.

It's honestly a sad state of affairs in Hollywood if a mafia movie with such a cast directed by Martin Scorsese has trouble getting a theatrical release, while any silly superhero franchise movie gets picked up without even reading the script...

On 15/07/2017 at 9:13 AM, nudge said:

This is certainly something. I really hope this isn't Netflix exclusive and it's getting a cinematic release.

Goodfellas meets Mean Streets meets Scarface. I love it. I know Brian De Palma directed the latter but it stands. I'll need to do more reading but I'd go and see it without a question.

This is really exciting and if done well could be amazing. De Niro's relationship with Scorsese has stretched over years and they cleared bounce off of each-other, with Cape Fear and Taxi Driver being stand-out examples of this. Keitel worked brilliantly with Scorsese in Mean Streets and Pesci was intimidating and a poignant threat in Goodfellas. I don't believe Pacino has worked on a film with him but it should work well - besides he's worked well with De Niro in the past on such memorable films as The Godfather Part Two and Righteous Kill. For the first time in a while I'm genuinely looking forward to a film. Even the new Blade Runner sequel doesn't excite me too much, probably because I know it's going to shit all over the masterpiece adaption that Dick never got to see.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Cure said:

This is certainly something. I really hope this isn't Netflix exclusive and it's getting a cinematic release.

Goodfellas meets Mean Streets meets Scarface. I love it. I know Brian De Palma directed the latter but it stands.

This is really exciting and if done well could be amazing. De Niro's relationship with Scorsese has stretched over years and they cleared bounce off of each-other, with Cape Fear and Taxi Driver being stand-out examples of this. Keitel worked brilliantly with Scorsese in Mean Streets and Pesci was intimidating and a poignant threat in Goodfellas. I don't believe Pacino has worked on a film with him but it should work well - besides he's worked well with De Niro in the past on such memorable films as The Godfather Part Two and Righteous Kill. For the first time in a while I'm genuinely looking forward to a film. Even the new Blade Runner sequel doesn't excite me too much, probably because I know it's going to shit all over the masterpiece adaption that Dick never got to see.

It's expected to get at least a limited theatrical release in order to qualify for Oscars, I'm sure Netflix will try to capitalise on the movie's potential. I will subscribe to Netflix for this alone though, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

Yes, the chemistry between the actors (and director) is going to be immense, can't really see it being a miss! I read some people complaining about the CGI not working well in de-aging the actors, but those are unsubstantial claims as proved by Westworld using the newest technology to de-age Anthony Hopkins in one of the episodes, it was absolutely spot on. It's amazing how advanced the technology is

120504.jpg

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, nudge said:

I still can't believe Paramount decided that it's "too risky" for them. Sure, Scorsese's last movie underperformed in cinemas (which was at least partially Paramount's fault, as the marketing for it was a disaster), but can a Jesuit pilgrimage pensive film on religion and meditation be compared to an all-star cast mob hit?.. I think they're making a big mistake here, while Netflix made just the right move and it might earn them their first Oscar. I can see this becoming the most anticipated movie in a long time, as hype will definitely pick up once the first trailer gets released.

It's honestly a sad state of affairs in Hollywood if a mafia movie with such a cast directed by Martin Scorsese has trouble getting a theatrical release, while any silly superhero franchise movie gets picked up without even reading the script...

Paramount's loss! I haven't seen his most recent film, what's it called?

• Subscriber
Just now, JOSHBRFC said:

Paramount's loss! I haven't seen his most recent film, what's it called?

Silence: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0490215/

I haven't seen it yet either! Looks beautiful, but it's not a movie I'd watch in a cinema, to be honest - and after all, it was Scorsese's "passion project" which wasn't expected to earn a lot anyway, can't believe Paramount are actually rejecting The Irishman due to Silence underperfoming; it's two completely different films.

On 16/07/2017 at 5:14 PM, nudge said:

It's expected to get at least a limited theatrical release in order to qualify for Oscars, I'm sure Netflix will try to capitalise on the movie's potential. I will subscribe to Netflix for this alone though, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

Yes, the chemistry between the actors (and director) is going to be immense, can't really see it being a miss! I read some people complaining about the CGI not working well in de-aging the actors, but those are unsubstantial claims as proved by Westworld using the newest technology to de-age Anthony Hopkins in one of the episodes, it was absolutely spot on. It's amazing how advanced the technology is

120504.jpg

Weird how a young Hopkins looks like Toby Jones.

@topic

The movie sounds amazing. 

• Subscriber
Just now, IgnisExcubitor said:

Weird how a young Hopkins looks like Toby Jones.

@topic

The movie sounds amazing. 

Hehe, if you compare the de-aged Hopkins with the actual young Hopkins, it's pretty close (more Toby Jones like though :P) :

hopkins.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Really hope it'll be good, but I'm not entirely convinced just yet :D 

I just can't imagine that a mob movie with THAT cast and directed by Scorsese can turn out bad :D Noooo way. My only worry is the de-aging technology; hope it's done properly...

Just now, nudge said:

I just can't imagine that a mob movie with THAT cast and directed by Scorsese can turn out bad :D Noooo way. My only worry is the de-aging technology; hope it's done properly...

Well, DeNiro's and Pacino's acting credits in the last decade have been somewhat disappointing, that's why I'm skeptical. But it's a Scorsese movie this time, so maybe it'll be better. The de-aging thing could be a factor as well as you mentioned. The only one that was half decent I've seen was Hopkins in Westworld. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Well, DeNiro's and Pacino's acting credits in the last decade have been somewhat disappointing, that's why I'm skeptical. But it's a Scorsese movie this time, so maybe it'll be better. The de-aging thing could be a factor as well as you mentioned. The only one that was half decent I've seen was Hopkins in Westworld. 

I mean, they have both been in some pretty poor movies in the last decade but that doesn't mean their acting talent has somehow disappeared out of a sudden... :) I think De Niro particularly just likes having fun in doing silly comedies these days haha. And as you said, it's the old crew with Scorsese - I definitely trust him to make a good movie! The subject material is already well covered in the book they're adapting so there's not much risk that the plot will suck.

As for the de-aging CGI, I think the biggest challenge would be the costs and this movie has a huge budget and plenty of time to get it right... What Marvel did with de-aging Samuel L. Jackson gives me a lot of hope too!

DBR1520_cmp_v710.1032.0.jpg

Just watch the trailer; he looks amazing!

• 5 months later...

Archived