talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

football forum

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have read all the theories on Hoffa and I am glad they are going with the Bufalino theory. He was a fascinating individual. And considering Joe Pesci is getting great reviews for that part, I am excited.

Though I suppose this movie would be more about Sheeren, and Hoffa would just be a part of it. 

Also great to see all the good reviews. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Just finished watching it. A slow burner for sure - but it captivated me and kept me interested until the very end. The pacing works as it reinforces the point that the whole movie is pretty much a memory of a man's life. 
You can definitely tell it's a Scorsese movie; the man can tell a story like nobody else...A pensive existential mob movie; never thought that would possible. The cast is obviously amazing; the quality of acting is over the roof and while everyone's doing a great job, Al Pacino is just incredible. De Niro and Pesci are both great as well; especially in the second half of the film. De-aging is noticeable but decent; you can definitely see its flaws and shortcomings at times but it's believable enough. A much bigger giveaway of the actors' age is not their de-aged faces but rather their movements...you can see they are much older than they're portrayed on the screen. It's particularly obvious in the one beating the shopkeeper scene; fortunately not many of such "action" scenes though. It didn't really bother me once I got used to it anyway.
Good dialogue with some brilliant deliveries. Brilliant soundtrack. Interesting story. Great acting and a fantastic cast. Nice camera work. Loved a few subtle nods and references to other movies made in some scenes as well. 

The last hour was great and nothing short of a masterpiece; the ending hits you hard. Somber af.

I felt it was a proper swansong of Scorsese, De Niro, Pacino, Pesci; the rest of the cast. It made me sad when I realised that we're not going to see most of them on the big screen anymore. I'm happy they did this film as it's a very fitting one to be the last one they all did together. A great eulogy to the classic gangster movie genre and its legends.

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Just finished watching it. A slow burner for sure - but it captivated me and kept me interested until the very end. The pacing works as it reinforces the point that the whole movie is pretty much a memory of a man's life. 
You can definitely tell it's a Scorsese movie; the man can tell a story like nobody else...A pensive existential mob movie; never thought that would possible. The cast is obviously amazing; the quality of acting is over the roof and while everyone's doing a great job, Al Pacino is just incredible. De Niro and Pesci are both great as well; especially in the second half of the film. De-aging is noticeable but decent; you can definitely see its flaws and shortcomings at times but it's believable enough. A much bigger giveaway of the actors' age is not their de-aged faces but rather their movements...you can see they are much older than they're portrayed on the screen. It's particularly obvious in the one beating the shopkeeper scene; fortunately not many of such "action" scenes though. It didn't really bother me once I got used to it anyway.
Good dialogue with some brilliant deliveries. Brilliant soundtrack. Interesting story. Great acting and a fantastic cast. Nice camera work. Loved a few subtle nods and references to other movies made in some scenes as well. 

The last hour was great and nothing short of a masterpiece; the ending hits you hard. Somber af.

I felt it was a proper swansong of Scorsese, De Niro, Pacino, Pesci; the rest of the cast. It made me sad when I realised that we're not going to see most of them on the big screen anymore. I'm happy they did this film as it's a very fitting one to be the last one they all did together. A great eulogy to the classic gangster movie genre and its legends.

Nice post there Nudge... If it's a long film then will have to leave it until I am off again on Sunday... 

• Subscriber
On 28/11/2019 at 02:12, nudge said:

Finally got round to watching it and agree with a lot of what you say here. 

I was definitely sad at the end with the realisation that it will be the last time those legends will be on screen together. Pacino and De Niro are without a doubt my favourite actors of all time. 

While I appreciate great acting and actors(this film had moments of both), it didn’t leave me going wow what a movie.

De Niro was simply too old to play young Frank, the grocery store beat up scene was  pretty rubbish. Let’s be honest. 

However, worth a watch just for nostalgia alone. Pacino and Pesci were great and also the more I see Romano these days as an actor the better he gets.

I found myself googling about Hoffa to help me get captivated with some of it.

Agreed re: last time we are likely to see some those great Italian American actors and that’s sad in itself. 

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Toinho said:

While I appreciate great acting and actors(this film had moments of both), it didn’t leave me going wow what a movie.

De Niro was simply too old to play young Frank, the grocery store beat up scene was  pretty rubbish. Let’s be honest. 

However, worth a watch just for nostalgia alone. Pacino and Pesci were great and also the more I see Romano these days as an actor the better he gets.

I found myself googling about Hoffa to help me get captivated with some of it.

Agreed re: last time we are likely to see some those great Italian American actors and that’s sad in itself. 

Yeah the grocery store beat up scene was a mistake; they should have used a body double for it. 

Other than that... I thought it's a great movie. 

21 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah the grocery store beat up scene was a mistake; they should have used a body double for it. 

Other than that... I thought it's a great movie. 

I still enjoyed it. I had to watch it over two days though due to life which may have influenced how much I did enjoy it. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Toinho said:

I still enjoyed it. I had to watch it over two days though due to life which may have influenced how much I did enjoy it. 

I took a beer break in the middle of it as well :ph34r: 

I think already knowing the real story (Sheeran; Hoffa; etc.) prior to watching the movie helped a bit as well in enjoying it more. I suspect I would have been lost in all the characters and names and what not otherwise. I also think it's one of the most - if not THE most - realistic mob movie ever made. No glamour; no glorification; and then that ending... I thought it was brilliantly executed.

I liked how Scorsese chose to go with the story, concentrating on the human emotions and relationships rather than the violence or how the gangs worked. It makes the last half hour of the movie touching. 

Joe Pesci gives such a unique, understated performance. 

On 02/12/2019 at 05:04, nudge said:

I took a beer break in the middle of it as well :ph34r: 

I think already knowing the real story (Sheeran; Hoffa; etc.) prior to watching the movie helped a bit as well in enjoying it more. I suspect I would have been lost in all the characters and names and what not otherwise. I also think it's one of the most - if not THE most - realistic mob movie ever made. No glamour; no glorification; and then that ending... I thought it was brilliantly executed.

Same here. Read about all the theories on Hoffa, and I am glad they went with this theory. Russell Buffalino was very smart and dangerous man, simply because he was not your typical mobster, and preferred to remain in the shadows.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived