The better place to talk football.

2023 F1 Season car launches

football forum

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Agreed. I like that they removed most of the Ineos red. Very minimalistic but sharp. Mercedes just know how to do black liveries. 

I hope the red Lauda star is still there though :( 

Also people saying the cars look the same as last year. Just at first glance. There are a lot of subtle but what feels like big changes. 

For example, Mercedes and Ferrari have fundamentally different philosophies for cooling and airflow.

1vbf1q411cia1.jpg

[Georgio Piola] The new Ferrari SF23 has a totally new solution in its sidepods: a new S Duct placed at the beginning of the side pods.

pp8k47kvdbia1.png

to04n2kvdbia1.png

I can't wait to see if anyone came up with a genius solution, or if it's totally going to fail. 

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Also people saying the cars look the same as last year. Just at first glance. There are a lot of subtle but what feels like big changes. 

For example, Mercedes and Ferrari have fundamentally different philosophies for cooling and airflow.

1vbf1q411cia1.jpg

pp8k47kvdbia1.png

to04n2kvdbia1.png

I can't wait to see if anyone came up with a genius solution, or if it's totally going to fail. 

That's all true, but genuinely, does an average fan truly have any clue and is able to spot those subtle new ideas in design? I don't think so. I understand that now it's a massive challenge for the engineers to find extra performance between the lines of the regulations, but I kind of miss the old times where innovation was by far more extremely expressed. The Brabham fan car, the inverted wings creating ground effect, the first turbocharger, the 6-wheel Tyrrell, the X wing, etc. etc. etc. Some obviously wonky and bizarre, but at least it was actual attempts to find something completely new and unusual that also works.

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

That's all true, but genuinely, does an average fan truly have any clue and is able to spot those subtle new ideas in design? I don't think so. I understand that now it's a massive challenge for the engineers to find extra performance between the lines of the regulations, but I kind of miss the old times where innovation was by far more extremely expressed. The Brabham fan car, the inverted wings creating ground effect, the first turbocharger, the 6-wheel Tyrrell, the X wing, etc. etc. etc. Some obviously wonky and bizarre, but at least it was actual attempts to find something completely new and unusual that also works.

Yea, that's true. Those times were crazy, where engineers were basically pioneers. xD 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Yea, that's true. Those times were crazy, where engineers were basically pioneers. xD 

Yeah, and I understand the reasons why it is how it is now, but with the lack of perceived innovation and creativity and with pretty shitty racing, it's no wonder F1 mostly lives through off-track drama 😅 I don't know, maybe I am being super critical here, but personally, it's been hard to get excited about the cars and the racing lately.

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, and I understand the reasons why it is how it is now, but with the lack of perceived innovation and creativity and with pretty shitty racing, it's no wonder F1 mostly lives through off-track drama 😅 I don't know, maybe I am being super critical here, but personally, it's been hard to get excited about the cars and the racing lately.

I mean, except for the Championship fight last season, it hasn't be too bad. I mean the season before the Championship was decided in the last race. It doesn't get more exciting than that. 

But yea, my biggest issue with F1 is that they still rely too much on DRS for overtaking. There must be better solutions. I think one issue is that the cars are way too long now too. 

fq7ifeizzpu81.jpg?auto=webp&s=ec0df900cf

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Agreed. I like that they removed most of the Ineos red. Very minimalistic but sharp. Mercedes just know how to do black liveries. 

Agreed. I like the one sleek line of the turquoise colour on the side, and it's not overdone. 

• Subscriber

So basically, the Mercedes made a cool new car. Haas and Alfa Romeo changed theirs a bit but meh. Alpha Tauri ruined their livery with the red sponsor logos and the other six teams didn't change their liveries. Car launch season in a nutshell xD.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

So basically, the Mercedes made a cool new car. Haas and Alfa Romeo changed theirs a bit but meh. Alpha Tauri ruined their livery with the red sponsor logos and the other six teams didn't change their liveries. Car launch season in a nutshell xD.

If you look closer, there are quite a few differences in the liveries. Well, mostly more carbon. But I like the Ferrari writing on Ferrari's rear wing for example. 

Archived