talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England Golden Generation vs Now

football forum

Saw this on Pitch Side podcast, though it looked fun. You have to combine the eleven from the 02-06 golden generation and Southgate's England.

Pickford

Walker - Campbell - Ferdinand - Cole

Hargreaves - Bellingham

Beckham - Gerrard - Rooney

Owen

An annoyingly stupid challenge as you have to leave good players out but that is what I'd go for. 

Pickford just because he's been England's most consistent keeper for England in my lifetime, not necessarily the best keeper overall.

Hargreaves done enough in one tournament to warrant being in there, same as Bellingham.

Beckham has to be in there as does Michael Owen. Rooney is the all time record holder but never achieved at national level what he could do at club. Still his tournament output is similar to Sterling and with his qualification goals he's a shoe in.

And then of course Gerrard, who whilst the argument goes on between him and Lampard, Gerrard was better for the national team.

Notable exceptions are John Terry, Gary Neville, Raheem Sterling, Frank Lampard, Paul Scholes and Harry Kane.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I'd have Neville in over Walker, and not sure why Hargreaves is so revered. Maybe I missed his world class contribution. But to do it in just 1 tournament can he be classed as a valuable inclusion? Bellingham, unless he has some horrific injury, will clearly be one to flourish in more than just 1 tournament. 

Scholes gets in there for me. 

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

Rooney at LW? 

Cutting in yeah, he pretty much done that for Ronaldo so don't see why he can't in this. Rooney always preferred playing deeper anyway

17 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd have Neville in over Walker, and not sure why Hargreaves is so revered. Maybe I missed his world class contribution. But to do it in just 1 tournament can he be classed as a valuable inclusion? Bellingham, unless he has some horrific injury, will clearly be one to flourish in more than just 1 tournament. 

Scholes gets in there for me. 

It's a thread about best England players, you judge the bets by competition performances...Hargreaves had a great competition for England and came close to settling a midfield layout before his injuries kicked in. Bellingham for me after just one tournament has probably had close to the best performance from an England centre mid in my lifetime.

Complete side note but I forgot Joe Cole in the honourable mentions, especially that goal against Sweden.

Any excuse:

I'd go for 4-3-3.

As he had no pace & played everywhere Vs Greece once, I'd be crazy & go for Beckham as a ballplaying long ball Pirlo DM. 

And I'm not sure of the final spot. As Rooney was Beckham's mirror. Rooney started unbelievably well & turned into an utterly abhorrent character.

Fairly sure if Michael Owen was just starting out now & he'd be tipped as a new pacy wing attacker. And he was proper exciting.

James

Walker  Campbell   Ferdinand   Cole

Beckham

Gerrard              Bellingham

Owen            Kane        ???

• Subscriber

If it's on performances for England you're taking todays squad over the vast majority. If it's on career and ability then I think the 00s golden generation takes nearly every spot. Which I think is why Southgate gets a good rep. England in the naughties are probably top three underachieving teams ever.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Danny said:

It's a thread about best England players, you judge the bets by competition performances...Hargreaves had a great competition for England and came close to settling a midfield layout before his injuries kicked in. Bellingham for me after just one tournament has probably had close to the best performance from an England centre mid in my lifetime

But even you've said it was only 1 tournament he's done it in? Hence why I added the bit about Bellingham. Maybe it's just my memory but I don't recall the Hargreaves love in, or more the reasons for it. Perhaps the discussion was always Scholes/Gerrard/Lampard for the midfield anyway.

Biggest issue is that nonexistent DM England have seen during the golden generation. Also wouldn't put Rice in an all time XI for anything. 

Think for me it would be something like this. Midfield I just don't know. 

Pickford

Campbell  Ferdinand

Trippier                                           Cole

Kane

Owen                   Rooney

It's you dumb bastards, one of you who has picked Beckham as a holding midfielder, one has picked Rooney on the left wing, one of you has made the quintessential England error of picking Gerrard and Lampard together, who are the reason England will forever remain undercooked. 

You build a team by picking the best system for the players you have, then playing the best players for that system. Not with thinking like "I can squeeze Rooney in there if he plays GK and that way I get Owen and Kane in too!"

6 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

It's you dumb bastards, one of you who has picked Beckham as a holding midfielder, one has picked Rooney on the left wing, one of you has made the quintessential England error of picking Gerrard and Lampard together, who are the reason England will forever remain undercooked. 

You build a team by picking the best system for the players you have, then playing the best players for that system. Not with thinking like "I can squeeze Rooney in there if he plays GK and that way I get Owen and Kane in too!"

Gerrard and Lampard never worked as a midfield 2, but if you put a holding midfielder behind them there's no reason that wouldn't work & that's the reason England managers were shite in that era, for not realising that. Rooney playing on the left cutting in is something probably more England managers should also have tried tbh.

Everyone should leave Owen off and pretend he never existed because he's a massive cunt tbh.

Seaman

Gary Neville              John Stones        John Terry          Ashley Cole

David Beckham        Declan Rice              Paul Gascoigne       Chris Waddle                                                                

Harry Kane           Alan Shearer

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Seaman

Gary Neville              John Stones        John Terry          Ashley Cole

David Beckham        Declan Rice              Paul Gascoigne       Chris Waddle                                                                

Harry Kane           Alan Shearer

18 hours ago, Danny said:

You have to combine the eleven from the 02-06 golden generation and Southgate's England.

@Waylander think a few of those might have just missed the cut-off for 2002-06 :P 

Updated :

Seaman

Gary Neville                    John Stones        John Terry           Ashley Cole

David Beckham            Owen Hargreaves       Frank Lampard      MIchael Carrick

Wayne Rooney          Harry Kane

• Subscriber
On 21/12/2022 at 16:36, Danny said:

Saw this on Pitch Side podcast, though it looked fun. You have to combine the eleven from the 02-06 golden generation and Southgate's England.

Pickford

Walker - Campbell - Ferdinand - Cole

Hargreaves - Bellingham

Beckham - Gerrard - Rooney

Owen

An annoyingly stupid challenge as you have to leave good players out but that is what I'd go for. 

Pickford just because he's been England's most consistent keeper for England in my lifetime, not necessarily the best keeper overall.

Hargreaves done enough in one tournament to warrant being in there, same as Bellingham.

Beckham has to be in there as does Michael Owen. Rooney is the all time record holder but never achieved at national level what he could do at club. Still his tournament output is similar to Sterling and with his qualification goals he's a shoe in.

And then of course Gerrard, who whilst the argument goes on between him and Lampard, Gerrard was better for the national team.

Notable exceptions are John Terry, Gary Neville, Raheem Sterling, Frank Lampard, Paul Scholes and Harry Kane.

Joint all time record holder*

And Kane should be in ahead of Owen. 

Archived