• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Atlanta United Thread

football forum

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

How's Ronald Hernandez getting on? Seen he scored his first goal for the club earlier this week.

He played really well, but that was his first start, and I think his first time on the pitch. If he has subbed on before, it wasn't for long. 

But yeah, he looked really good against Cincy. 

19 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Thiago Almada, one of the highly touted young players in Argentina, strongly linked with a move to Atlanta. Seems to follow their usual transfer strategy.

Saw this...

Kid is 20 and worth $22m....so I'm not sure how we can afford him, but hopefully it's better than the failed Pity experiment. 

Also, seems a bit strange for a kid of this caliber to make this move to a team that doesn't have a proper coach, but who am I to judge? 

On 27/07/2021 at 13:21, Eco said:

Saw this...

Kid is 20 and worth $22m....so I'm not sure how we can afford him, but hopefully it's better than the failed Pity experiment. 

Also, seems a bit strange for a kid of this caliber to make this move to a team that doesn't have a proper coach, but who am I to judge? 

Seems a done deal. To be completed after he returns from the Olympics.

Looks like you aren't the only one surprised, seen a lot of shock from people covering football in Argentina. Think they thought he was destined for Europe sooner rather than later.

@Eco

If Atlanta want an attacking coach, with a very expansive playing style, Fonseca fits the bill. His Roma team were often superb attacking, but very open and fragile defensively. It would make their matches very appealing to neutrals to watch, at the very least.

Obviously had a dominant period at Shaktar, but I have doubts over his chances of success in a far more even league. Especially with MLS's almost unique makeup of their squad, with vast differences in quality between teammates.

On 31/07/2021 at 13:23, ScoRoss said:

@Eco

If Atlanta want an attacking coach, with a very expansive playing style, Fonseca fits the bill. His Roma team were often superb attacking, but very open and fragile defensively. It would make their matches very appealing to neutrals to watch, at the very least.

Obviously had a dominant period at Shaktar, but I have doubts over his chances of success in a far more even league. Especially with MLS's almost unique makeup of their squad, with vast differences in quality between teammates.

But surely this HAS to be better than Frank and Heinze....right? 

12 hours ago, Eco said:

But surely this HAS to be better than Frank and Heinze....right? 

I'd assume that he wouldn't dehydrate any of his players... It's a low bar there.xD

I hope the very best for him after his time at Roma, especially if he ends up at Atlanta, but he does seem stubborn in his way of playing (an optimist would say he believes in his approach so much, he was willing to give it time). They lost basically to every team above and around them, and beat up on the weaker teams in Serie A. In MLS, I imagine there is much more parity than where he has managed before.

Would he get much time at Atlanta to get them competing at the top of MLS again? And it seems with them, they are very much focused on their approach of player recruitment with brining in young South Americans, I doubt Fonseca would have a huge influence in the players they'd look to sign?

12 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

I'd assume that he wouldn't dehydrate any of his players... It's a low bar there.xD

I hope the very best for him after his time at Roma, especially if he ends up at Atlanta, but he does seem stubborn in his way of playing (an optimist would say he believes in his approach so much, he was willing to give it time). They lost basically to every team above and around them, and beat up on the weaker teams in Serie A. In MLS, I imagine there is much more parity than where he has managed before.

Would he get much time at Atlanta to get them competing at the top of MLS again? And it seems with them, they are very much focused on their approach of player recruitment with brining in young South Americans, I doubt Fonseca would have a huge influence in the players they'd look to sign?

All good points, although I haven't really watched much Serie A in the past few years. 

Seems odd NOT to get someone South America since that's where we get everyone from, but this is probably Carlos and Eales last chance at picking the right now before they are both unemployed, as they hit it out of the part with Tata, but have failed miserably with the most the recent hires. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

All good points, although I haven't really watched much Serie A in the past few years. 

Seems odd NOT to get someone South America since that's where we get everyone from, but this is probably Carlos and Eales last chance at picking the right now before they are both unemployed, as they hit it out of the part with Tata, but have failed miserably with the most the recent hires. 

I'd imagine Foncesa at least has experience at Roma, and especially Shakhtar of having a lot of South Americans in his squads. Something that couldn't have been said of De Boer's managerial experience.

Just now, ScoRoss said:

I'd imagine Foncesa at least has experience at Roma, and especially Shakhtar of having a lot of South Americans in his squads. Something that couldn't have been said of De Boer's managerial experience.

You need to come to Atlanta so I can take you to a game. 

10 minutes ago, Eco said:

You need to come to Atlanta so I can take you to a game. 

It's on my list! But have quite a few holidays backdated over the last 18 months.

Befriended a number of Georgia Tech alums when going to a College football game in Dublin a few years back and promised them that I'd go to a game at their stadium back in Georgia too.

Just now, ScoRoss said:

It's on my list! But have quite a few holidays backdated over the last 18 months.

Befriended a number of Georgia Tech alums when going to a College football game in Dublin a few years back and promised them that I'd go to a game at their stadium back in Georgia too.

Oh yea! I remember them going there. GT is one of the best colleges in the South, and their stadium is small, but absolutely brilliant. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived