talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Atlanta United Thread

football forum

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Video Highlights of our 1-0 win against Orlando City. 

So happy for Pity. He's struggled early, but over the past couple of games has looked better. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • The title was changed to Atlanta United & Frank de Boer Part Ways
5 hours ago, Stan said:

Another failure from De Boer. Not really working out for him as a manager...

He's complete crap. Such a boring style and has no ability to adapt. 

Numerous players from Atlanta's dressing room said that his ego was his number 1 issue, which is something that was said when he got fired from Inter. 

16 hours ago, Eco said:

Shortlist of coaches to permanently replace FdB, all South American, and I don't know any of them. Thoughts? @Mpache @El Profesor

Marcelo Gallardo (River Plate)
Ariel Holan (Universidad Catolica)
Javier Aguirre (Unemployed)

Marcelo Gallardo is brilliant, but in my opinion he's an unrealistic option. He's become a River Plate legend and I can only see him leave for Argentina's NT or Europe.

Ariel Holan is likely. Given Chile's lack of football in the past year (since even before COVID-19) and I like him. His Independiente team that won the Sudamericana was brilliant, and he'll know how to get the best of Barco just as he did 3 years ago.

I'm least familiar with Javier Aguirre but I know this much: he often has strong starts and then falls.

On 01/08/2020 at 21:20, Eco said:

Shortlist of coaches to permanently replace FdB, all South American, and I don't know any of them. Thoughts? @Mpache @El Profesor

Marcelo Gallardo (River Plate)
Ariel Holan (Universidad Catolica)
Javier Aguirre (Unemployed)

Gallardo is a great coach. The best in South America but as @Mpache said, it's hard to see him living River Plate for MLS. 

Holan was really good at Independiente. I feel like he is a guy who could fit very well in Altanta, because he is a guy who's willing to try different things. Holan started his carreer in sport as a field hockey coach, he's a guy who is not afraid to employ non-traditional methods and that is a plus for him to adapt to the american sports culture. 

I don't know much about Aguirre. If I recall it right, he is not a good tactician but the players love him. 

• 3 weeks later...

De Boer confirmed The Athletic’s reporting that Josef Martínez and Pity Martínez had abandoned training sessions in frustration during the 2019 season. He said that it was difficult, but added that similar situations occurred under Gerardo Martino. 

“Tata had the same problem,” De Boer said. “It’s already there and it’s difficult when you have a new coach.” 

De Boer referred to Josef Martínez as one of the best strikers he has ever worked with, and touched on the player’s temper as a reason why he would walk off a practice pitch. 

“(Josef) gets frustrated because his quality is much higher than a lot of other players,” De Boer said. “But he has to understand that it’s not always about you because you can give a bad example. I worked very fine with him and sometimes you have disagreements, but for me he was a great person and a great player.” 

De Boer’s dicey relationship with Pity Martínez was also well-documented, but the pair managed to find some common ground. When asked to pinpoint why their relationship was often rocky, De Boer believes that the lofty expectations that were placed on Martínez and the change in culture contributed to the player’s difficult adjustment period. 

“Last season I had some trouble sometimes with a decision with Pity, but I think he started really well this season,” said De Boer. “If he plays really well, of course he’ll play every game, but he didn’t play well and everybody could see that. I accept, because that’s normal with every player who comes from a new culture.” 

Frank is a absolute muppet. I was mad when Atlanta United hired him, and rejoiced when he was fired. 

It's his way or the highway, and his system didn't fit our team, and he never altered. We also lost a LOT of players during his tenure and played the worst soccer in our short history. 

Fuck off. 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Frank is a absolute muppet. I was mad when Atlanta United hired him, and rejoiced when he was fired. 

It's his way or the highway, and his system didn't fit our team, and he never altered. We also lost a LOT of players during his tenure and played the worst soccer in our short history. 

Fuck off. 

What's the latest on the next manager? Expecting it soon, or leaving it until the season is over.

Seen Stephen Glass is the interim manager, keeping up the Aberdeen-Atlanta connection.

30 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

What's the latest on the next manager? Expecting it soon, or leaving it until the season is over.

Seen Stephen Glass is the interim manager, keeping up the Aberdeen-Atlanta connection.

A few names being spoken about, but I expect them to give Glass a solid chance to see what he can do. 

We need to look to South America for our next manager. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Trouble with Martinez? @Eco

I couldn't imagine what could be, but Josef is pretty vocal if he sees something not right, so I'll assume that's what this is. 

Trouble is our biggest issue is that we can't score, and he's one of the best scorers in MLS history. 

Hope whatever it is, gets resolved soon. 

Another loss yesterday, and not a lot of chances created which makes it hard to worse. 

For the 2nd highest payroll in the MLS, it's crazy to think we can't win a match. 

Also, Wife and I have decided to give up our Season tickets. At the amount of money we pay, plus the amount of games we can't make because we are about 40 minutes from the stadium AND have a 3 year old, it just makes sense. Plus yesterday I could sell my tickets at $40/ea (we pay $125/ticket), then we are just losing too much money for nothing. 

Oh well. Maybe we'll try and get a 3rd ticket and start taking our kid, maybe not. We shall see. 

Archived