talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Question a Member: SirBalon

football forum

• Administrator

why the name 'SirBalon'?

If you were an animal for a day what would you be?

Who's the most inspirational person you have met (not in your family)?

Any brothers or sisters?

Did you go to school in the UK?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is abbreviated such a long word?

Do you think any kind of afterlife exists?

Do you think it is actually necessary to nail down the lid of a coffin?

Not including property, what is the most expensive item you have ever bought, and for how much?

When driving to an address you don't know do you turn down the volume of the stereo when looking for your destination?

What would your three wishes be [and no wishing for more wishes]?

Do you think the best part of your life has already happened?

Do you pee in the shower?

Do you vet calls?

What is your favourite cheese?

• The title was changed to Question a Member: SirBalon
10 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Have you visited Ewood Park before? If yes, how many times and favourite memory?

I've been to Blackburn before but never but unfortunately Ewood Park isn't one of the various stadiums in England that I've visited.  By the time Blackburn Rovers made it to the Premier League I was no longer a travelling Arsenal fan and only went to home games.

Best Blackburn Rovers player you've seen live?

Alan Shearer has to be the best one I've seen at Highbury...  Saw him also for Southampton on his debut against us too and we all know what happened in that game...  Obviously that was all before football went professional in England in 1992.

Favourite rapper/hip hop artist? Even if you're not into the genre..

I loved RUN DMC when I was a kid and rap (Hip-Hop) was different then.  It was...  Hmmm...  I can't quite put a word to it, but it was special.  As for more modern artists, my enjoyment stops at Eminem who I've thoroughly enjoyed.

Favourite sport at the Olympics?

Well it ain't Curling. :ph34r: I like the track events in general but I really like the Tennis and the rowing events.  Apart from the London Olympics I've also went to the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 where I went to various events including Linford Christie's 100m Gold, the early rounds of the Tennis and the Semi-Finals and Final of the Football which Spain won Gold.

Top 5 greatest sportsmen across all sports of all time?

- Muhammad Ali

- Diego Maradona

- Roger Federer

- Ayrton Senna

- Usain Bolt

Elaborate more on the time you shagged one of your pupils.... :ph34r:

xD I'm a gentleman mate. ;)

5 hours ago, Stan said:

why the name 'SirBalon'?

I've actually written about this before on the other forum.  It's nothing important...

There was and is a weekly football magazine for kids in Spain called Don Balón which I used to avidly read when I was a child.  My father used to work in Central London back when I was very young and the only b=place back then you could buy foreign magazines or newspapers was in one shop in Soho.  He should always pass by there once a week after work and bring it home.  Don is practically "Sir" in Spanish and Balón I've kept without the accent but means "ball" in English which I'm sure you know.

If you were an animal for a day what would you be?

I more or less said it in the "reincarnation question" further up.  I would choose to be an Eagle, a Golden Eagle preferably.  I've always been fascinated by them.

Who's the most inspirational person you have met (not in your family)?

I've met many inspirational people in my life.  All sorts from many many different countries...  But the person that has most inspired me in my life was my grandad (my mother's father) who lived through a lot!  Born in 1908 he fought in the Second World War (yes Spaniards fought in that too), the Spanish Civil War (where he lost an eye) and lived in a lost mountain in Galicia.  His stories and his way of seeing life always had me attached to his side overtime we went to Galicia on our summer holidays as a family.

Any brothers or sisters?

One brother who's 4 years younger than me and lives in Madrid, Spain.  Had a sister too but she sadly died in a road accident when she was 6.

Did you go to school in the UK?

Of course...  I was born and bred in London mate.

15 hours ago, Large said:

Why is abbreviated such a long word?

Hmmm...  Because it doesn't want to be abbreviated?

Do you think any kind of afterlife exists?

Yep...  I do believe something exists in the "afterlife" although I don't think we altogether die exactly.  I'm not traditionally religious but I do believe.

Do you think it is actually necessary to nail down the lid of a coffin?

Actually that's a good question...  In theory it isn't actually necessary although off the top of my head I would expect that goes back to the days when there was a lot of body snatching for medical research...  Or maybe not. :$

Not including property, what is the most expensive item you have ever bought, and for how much?

My cars.  I've owned a Porsche 911, Aston Martin DB7 and not too long ago bought a Jaguar F-Type SvR convertible.

When driving to an address you don't know do you turn down the volume of the stereo when looking for your destination?

hahaha...  Yep!  Doesn't everybody?

What would your three wishes be [and no wishing for more wishes]?

- Health for all of my family.

- A happy life for my son.

- For all lying politicians to suddenly become transparent to all without them knowing it's about to happen.

Do you think the best part of your life has already happened?

I hope not.  I have a son of 14 months and I hope to have many great moments with him and hopefully one or two more children.

Do you pee in the shower?

Mmmm.... No!

Do you vet calls?

Do I vet my own calls?  Indeed I do!

Your favourite cheese?

I'm not a big cheese eater but I do love Parmigiano-Reggiano (the proper one) and also Mozzarella di Bufala (only from Campania and not Fior di Latte like we get in this country)...  Matured Manchego is very nice too.

14 hours ago, Spike said:

Fav flavour of chupa chup?

I don't know what Fav Flavour is.  I used to suck on Chupa Chups when I was a kid but I never finished one I think as I've never really been a sweet tooth even as a child.

2 hours ago, VanPanna said:

Did you ever buy the Satay sauce? xD

I did indeed...  Infact I took it to a friend of mine that owns an Indonesian restaurant in East London and I asked her to use it for a dish she made me.  Beautiful stuff! Thanks mate! ;)

14 hours ago, VanPanna said:

What do you think about Ajax, within 2 years they have lost their Hero Johan and now one of the most promising young players for a while.   Its a very sad period for the club. 

It's been a very traumatising period for one of the most important football clubs in the world.  The whole thing has been very sad with Cruyff passing away (football has been left an orphan without him) and now this kid who had that heart attack and brain damage...  All so sad!

Curiously though it all came at a moment when Ajax refound some of their magic in Europe after such a long time and then the most ridiculous thing happened with Peter Bosz practically being ousted!  I haven't been as pissed off in a long time when that became news...  It's as if the club wants to self destruct.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do you still rate Alberto Moreno? If so, why?

To be honest there's been many young players that have jumped onto the scene like Alberto Moreno did.  Maybe he left to early after a wonderful season for Sevilla.  I genuinely thought he was going to be brilliant for you guys but that's football and there's no science to knowing what will be in the future in any walk of life much less football from a mere fan's perspective.

Best thing you have ever eaten?

Which young player has you most excited right now?

Would you give up one year of your life to in return see both Arsenal and Barcelona win 3 league titles in a row and face each other in the CL final 3 seasons in a row?

In your daily life and when abroad do you tell people you're English or do you tell em you're Spanish?

Do you like any rock music?

What were your feeling when Arsenal played Barcelona in the Champions League final? Did you lean either way? (I assume you've answered this before, but I'm curious)

Is there anyone from TFF you wish had moved over here? Is there anyone you wish hadn't bothered? :ph34r:

You can remove one football club from existence. Who is it? Do you fold them now or delete them and their entire history?

How are Lugo going to do this year?

2 hours ago, Machado said:

Best thing you have ever eaten?

That's hard to say because there are so many things and so many moments.

But one of the tastiest things I've eaten that I can't resist is Melanzane Parmigiana...  It's such a simple dish but so incredible.

The other thing I can't resist is "Cordero Lechal al horno de leña".  That's proper lamb and not the what's called lamb here in England which in Spain would be called a sheep.  It's six week old lamb still sucking on milk done in a wood fired oven.  It's eaten a lot in the north of Spain especially in Galicia.  I know many will think it's cruel, but it's gonna die anyway, so if you're that way inclined, don't eat meat.  It's one of the most amazing things in the world.

Which young player has you most excited right now?

Hmmm...  There are many but the one I'm most excited about is only 13 right now, Xavi Simons.  I've been following his football from the age of 8 when a friend on mine told me about him in Spain.  I know there's a long way to go and these things can end up in nothing.  But this kid is special!  I remember feeling the same about Messi around the same age.  Like I said...  It may not come of but I'm really hoping it does.

Would you give up one year of your life to in return see both Arsenal and Barcelona win 3 league titles in a row and face each other in the CL final 3 seasons in a row?

Nope!  Wouldn't give up any of my life for football and that's that I love it so much.  Plus Barça win leagues in a row frequently...  Although I know where you're gong in that it would be both at the same time.  It would be so so brilliant that I haven't even thought about it to be honest hahaha.

Back before Spain won the World Cup in 2010, I so dreamt about seeing Spain win the World Cup.  I thought I'd never see that day and even as a kid (you know how kids think ridiculous things) I didn't even then ever think I'd give up anything about my life in that sense.

In your daily life and when abroad do you tell people you're English or do you tell em you're Spanish?

In Spain people say I'm English anyway without me even having a chance to state what I think...  Family and friends in Spain call me "El Inglés".  But even though I was born in the UK and brought up here (some may not understand this), I see myself as Spanish.  I've been brought up as a Spaniard at home by two Spanish parents, at home only Spanish (Galician) was ever spoken and I learned to speak Spanish before I learned to Speak English.  Everything about my childhood revolved around Spanish (Galician) culture.  But I also love the UK and it holds a big part in my heart.  There is a part of me that feels English I can't deny that and am proud of it too.

Do you like any rock music?

Rock music is and always has been my genre.  From Hendrix to even more glam rock stuff like Bon Jovi and Guns n' Roses...  I love it all!  Although these days rock is crap!  Rock died in the mid 90s where it already started to become saturated and boring.  The 2000s hasn't seen any stuff I really really feel something for.

29 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

What were your feeling when Arsenal played Barcelona in the Champions League final? Did you lean either way? (I assume you've answered this before, but I'm curious)

I didn't watch it!  I went out...  I didn't watch the World Cup Final in 2010 as I also didn't watch the 2008 and 2012 Euro Finals.  I also didn't watch the recent final between Barça and Juve.  I can't handle the pressure and in the case of the final between Arsenal and Barcelona, that was hell for me.  I didn't want it to happen and it was a horrible feeling.  Although deep down I wanted Arsenal to win that final.

Is there anyone from TFF you wish had moved over here? Is there anyone you wish hadn't bothered? :ph34r:

Can't think now.  There are members that stopped posting while at TFF some time back that I miss from a point of view that they posted interesting stuff.  ASF is one that has moved here and I really like a lot but doesn't post much these days.  This thing about dedicating time to a forum which isn't the same thing as the laid back approach of social media where it doesn't really matter is something that is difficult to keep up at times.  If you dedicate time, you become part of a real community in my opinion.  Yes, it's surreal to the point it's on the web and there is no physical connection, but over time it kind of becomes a sentiment like you really know these people and that's where it all becomes a lot more difficult...  There have been many moments when I've wanted to stop but I still enjoy it too much which is where I come back to your question...  If someone has moved on then it's because in general it should mean their life is more enjoyable that way and that's the important thing which means you don't really get to wish something like that.

You can remove one football club from existence. Who is it? Do you fold them now or delete them and their entire history?

I wouldn't remove any club.  I don't hate any football club as strange as that may for some to believe with my recent rhetoric on Real Madrid for example.  I' have a tremendous respect for Real Madrid and their history (aside from the shady parts from time ago)... My gripe is more a political one these days and very very dodgy things that have been happening that I don't want to go into.  But even then I wouldn't remove them if I had that power...

Football is great BECAUSE of the rivalry and without rivalry it means absolutely nothing.

How are Lugo going to do this year?

Well they keep on losing players which doesn't help...  Although even then in recent times they've managed to be very competitive considering their size in respect to others in that division.  There are bigger clubs than Lugo in lower divisions which explains how proud I am of how they're doing.  Seeing them come up to La Liga would be a dream come true but it's very difficult due to how they keep on losing any player that does anything resembling decent.  They've flirted with the play-off promotional places in recent years especially under Quique Setién who has now become coach of Real Betis.  Even this past season a bit more consistency would've seen them go into those play-offs.  Hopefully next season they can push that bit further.

You aren't looking very hard if you can't find decent modern rock music. The days of the guitar band being pop music is dead. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard shit out solid album after solid album and make Tame Impala look like a bunch of chumps. Psych-Rock is still very alive and you only need to look at what is coming out of Oz to know that.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

You aren't looking very hard if you can't find decent modern rock music. The days of the guitar band being pop music is dead. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard shit out solid album after solid album and make Tame Impala look like a bunch of chumps. Psych-Rock is still very alive and you only need to look at what is coming out of Oz to know that.

I enjoyed The Temper Trap for a short while because it was a bit different.  But I won't have that today's music is anything other than covers of old stuff or using similar notes.  The last great rock bands in the modern era were Nirvana and U2 before they melted into insignificance with nothing resembling rock music.

Nothing today will turn into legendary stuff like these names, rock in all its genres with great metal bands:

No particular order, just as they come from my mind...

• Jimi Hendrix
  • Led Zeppelin
  • Iron Maiden
  • Metallica
  • Queen
  • The Beatles
  • Pink Floyd
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Who
  • AC/DC
  • The Doors
  • The Beach Boys
  • Nirvana
  • Eagles
  • Aerosmith
  • David Bowie
  • Eric Clapton
  • Elvis Presley
  • Bob Dylan
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd
  • The Clash
  • Sex Pistols
  • The Police
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Bryan Adams
  • ZZ Top
  • Journey
  • Radiohead
  • Dire Straits
  • Genesis
  • Kiss
  • The Scorpions
  • Def Lepard
  • Santana
  • Boston
  • Chicago
  • Bon Jovi
  • Heart
  • Foreigner
  • Guns n' Roses
  • Prince

I could go on and on...  For me personally nobody now has the talent required.  Music is crap these days.

3 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

What's your favourite place in Spain to visit?

I personally prefer the north of Spain which is mountainous and green.  Galicia being my favoured part for obvious reasons, but the whole north flank is amazing...  Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria, Basque Region, Navarra, Catalonia.

I also love the Balearic Islands with Formentera being my favoured one.

Do you still own your chippy?

Actually sold my part of it about two months ago due to me making initial preparations to go to either Spain or Italy to live.  It was great fun while it lasted and is now one of the most popular (actually the MOST popular and rated) fish and chip shop in London.

What's your favourite footballing memory?

I have various mate...  The 1989 title deciding season for Arsenal where we beat a great Liverpool 0-2 at Anfield...  That is one of the most euphoric moments of my life.

Then Spain winning the World Cup was so mental (I was living in Spain at the time) where I got so drunk I don't remember the last part and woke up by a fountain early in the morning so as to continue partying.

Did you renew your Arsenal season ticket?

No mate!  I said I wouldn't and I won't until Wenger goes!  I've past it on to a friend of mine.

How do you expect Arsenal's season to go?

The same as 90% of seasons under Wenger.  Maybe qualifying for the Champions League after last season coming into reality will make some Arsenal fans feel euphoric.  Maybe finishing above Spurs will also make some of our fans party in the streets all night.

Would you dump @True Blue if it meant #WengerOut? :ph34r:

hahaha...  He's a "Gonner" :ph34r:xD

• This topic was unpinned and locked

Archived