talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bad internet

football forum

Someone please save me from chucking my laptop out of a 5th floor hostel window.

I have a Toshiba Satellite, I have Windows 10. My internet runs at around 0.5mbps. My girlfriends is fine and we're always using the same wifi, but wherever we go my internet is ridiculously slow.

I also can't unzip files, any file I try to unzip is either corrupted or there is an error. I've tried to restore them but that does nothing.

I tried to redownload the wireless LAN drivers but as said above, cannot extract them. Literally don't know what to do with this laptop, no idea why Windows make things so difficult.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HoneyNUFC said:

You could try getting an unzipping addon from the windows store. You can get them free, or at least a free trial, they might let you unzip a file properly.

I've used winrar, another popular one, as well as the built in app. Nothing works.

Just now, HoneyNUFC said:

Ah, have you tried the repair function in winrar?

Though if it is all zip files I doubt that will work.

Yeah it just gives me the same shit. Honestly there are so many apps on my laptop I don't even know what to do with half of them

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Danny said:

Someone please save me from chucking my laptop out of a 5th floor hostel window.

I have a Toshiba Satellite, I have Windows 10. My internet runs at around 0.5mbps. My girlfriends is fine and we're always using the same wifi, but wherever we go my internet is ridiculously slow.

I also can't unzip files, any file I try to unzip is either corrupted or there is an error. I've tried to restore them but that does nothing.

I tried to redownload the wireless LAN drivers but as said above, cannot extract them. Literally don't know what to do with this laptop, no idea why Windows make things so difficult.

firstly, 0.5mbps is ridiculously slow. 

If your girlfriends is fine and yours isn't, there may be an issue with your WiFi port/connection within your laptop. especially if it's happening at other places too. 

Just now, Stan said:

firstly, 0.5mbps is ridiculously slow. 

If your girlfriends is fine and yours isn't, there may be an issue with your WiFi port/connection within your laptop. especially if it's happening at other places too. 

My cousin reckons my drivers are fine as this laptop came with Windows 10, no idea what. Don't even know what apps could be affecting my tinternets or how to check

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

My cousin reckons my drivers are fine as this laptop came with Windows 10, no idea what. Don't even know what apps could be affecting my tinternets or how to check

just cos it came with Windows 10 won't mean everything is all rosy underneath the keyboard...

In essence it should be especially if it's a brand new laptop. It might be best to take it to a local computer repair shop to at least get it looked at. There may be other hardware problems having an affect on the performance.

You may have a virus, your integrated ethernet card could be fucked and so could be your hdd. You need to format and see if that solves it, if it doesn't buy and external wifi usb adapter and if you still have problems change the hdd.

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

just cos it came with Windows 10 won't mean everything is all rosy underneath the keyboard...

In essence it should be especially if it's a brand new laptop. It might be best to take it to a local computer repair shop to at least get it looked at. There may be other hardware problems having an affect on the performance.

I've been trying to avoid taking it to a repair shop but that might have to be my last option. Tried to contact Toshiba, no call centre number that works, don't respond to Facebook or Twitter. Can't even find my laptop model on their drop down. Other than an e-mail or unless there's a bright spark on here I've pretty much exhausted all options

• 2 years later...
  • Subscriber
7 hours ago, Harry said:

Anyone know how to get around your government blocking of websites? 

Our government have gone on a bender banning torrent sites.

Get a VPN like the others have said. Used to be browser developers like Opera gave you the option of a VPN and a torrent downloader in one. I don't know if they still do it but it was free and quite good

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Get a VPN like the others have said. Used to be browser developers like Opera gave you the option of a VPN and a torrent downloader in one. I don't know if they still do it but it was free and quite good

That's something you need to pay for isn't it? I rarely use torrents have just resorted to recently for a short period only. 

I don't have an answer to your question, @Danny… but holy shit that's really fucking slow. Hope you get that sorted because that's basically unusable internet speeds.

@Harry - yeah, the only real workaround for that would be a VPN... and I can't recommend a free VPN tbh, because personally... I don't really trust free VPNs.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't have an answer to your question, @Danny… but holy shit that's really fucking slow. Hope you get that sorted because that's basically unusable internet speeds.

@Harry - yeah, the only real workaround for that would be a VPN... and I can't recommend a free VPN tbh, because personally... I don't really trust free VPNs.

The laptop is still a piece of shit but it works now I’m back home

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Harry said:

That's something you need to pay for isn't it? I rarely use torrents have just resorted to recently for a short period only. 

Opera's VPN is free and its quite trusted. Will it work in every scenario? No. But then again you're just using it for a very specific need and I don't think it will be that much of a hindrance. I wouldn't recommend it for Geo-Masking or non-tracking as it sends the requests to its own servers and that could be blocked in the country its used in.

P.S. DM me if you need a temporary solution.

On 09/12/2019 at 17:09, Harry said:

Anyone know how to get around your government blocking of websites? 

Our government have gone on a bender banning torrent sites.

If your government is as stupid as our previous one was then simple adding s to http, solves the problem. 

But otherwise, yeah you need VPN. 

Archived