• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Hidden TV Gems

football forum

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

This was a gem of a comedy and me and the wife laughed our socks off, Only When I Laugh, 3 guys stuck in a hospital ill and the capers they got up to was hilarious, it run for only 3 years 1979 to 1982 and at that time I think Rising Damp was the top comedy show then.

download.png

Blackbird.

Think this was on Apple TV, only a 6 parter but was based on a true story.

Taron Egerton leads an all star cast as Jimmy Keane, a former high school American Football player and son of a celebrated policeman (Ray Liotta in his last acting role), who is thrown into jail for 10 years on drug charges.

taron-egerton-black-bird-a267ae4.jpg

His only chance of parole comes after he strikes a deal with the FBI to infiltrate a maximum security prison undercover and befriend a suspected serial killer to elicit a confession before his appeal.

Paul Walter Hauser plays the chilling Larry Hall, a suspected murderer and rapist who has been serving time for the suspected murder of a 15 year old girl, however, his appeal date is approaching with a high chance he'll get out. The FBi believe he is responsible for several murders and disappearences of young girls but need time to try and locate the bodies or risk those cases collapsing.

Walter Hauser is absolutely phenominal in nailing an unpredictable psychopath who makes the audience feel very uneasy with all his manourisms.

black-bird-ep-3-larry-confessing-to-rape.jpg

Jimmy is not only facing a race against time to draw confessions from Larry Hall, but his father suffers a stroke from trying to initially free Jimmy and as a result is unable to see him in prison. Jimmy suspects he is dying and is desperate to get out so he can see his father before its too late. Ray Liotta, although limited in his scene time is brilliant when he is on screen.

Greg Kinnear is the FBI agent investigating the cases and looking for clues. As a family man and father to daughter you can see the pain and anguish on him when he revisits the girls cases and how badly he wants to see Larry stay in prison.

I thoroughly recommend it. All the acting is top quality and the suspense is high whenever Paul Walter Hauser is on screen. Definitely worth a watch, especially with how things developed and turned out.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Utopia. I thought it was brilliant when I watched it almost 10 years ago, but it seems like barely anyone has ever heard of it. I might need to rewatch it to see if it's as good as I remember

I remember it! Loved Season 1, but I think I haven't watched Season 2, for whatever reason... There's apparently a US remake now, too.

• Subscriber

Upstairs, Downstairs, only run from 1971 to 1975 but a good watch...

Set in a large townhouse at 165, Eaton Place in Belgravia in central London, the series depicts the servants—"downstairs"—and their masters, the family—"upstairs"—between the years 1903 and 1930, and shows the slow decline of the British aristocracy. 

download.png

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Upstairs, Downstairs, only run from 1971 to 1975 but a good watch...

Set in a large townhouse at 165, Eaton Place in Belgravia in central London, the series depicts the servants—"downstairs"—and their masters, the family—"upstairs"—between the years 1903 and 1930, and shows the slow decline of the British aristocracy. 

download.png

John, do you watch any TV shows that released in the last 40 years? :ph34r:

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Not really, not much of a tv man nowadays but if someone mentions a show I will look it up, this is one of my favorites going back to when I was a wee nipper in the '50s, you will love it...:eek:

Spoiler

xD :hh:

• Administrator
On 05/01/2023 at 21:01, MUFC said:

Watched a few Spanish series on Netflix, some really are immense.

Yes. Elite was a good series for a while. Has a few cast members from Money Heist which is what got me initially in to it. Starts off quite engaging, but turns into a bit of a slow-burner for the plot to progress, which is unusual as it's generally the other way round.I watched a French TV series called The Returned quite a few years ago. That was gripping from the start. Think the first series was on Channel 4 but then may have moved to a different total. I was hooked. 

• Administrator
On 08/01/2023 at 15:11, nudge said:

He's not allowed - a kick in the bollocks from his missus awaits if he's caught watching anything recent...

21 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yes. Elite was a good series for a while. Has a few cast members from Money Heist which is what got me initially in to it. Starts off quite engaging, but turns into a bit of a slow-burner for the plot to progress, which is unusual as it's generally the other way round.I watched a French TV series called The Returned quite a few years ago. That was gripping from the start. Think the first series was on Channel 4 but then may have moved to a different total. I was hooked. 

Have you seen The Unknown Hitman: The Story of El Cholo Adrían on Netflix? True story about a hitman who works his way through the ranks.

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

Also Yankee is good, not amazing but entertaining.

• Subscriber

Found out the BBC has canceled this show that's been running since 2017, The Repair Shop, people bring articles in that need repairing or touching up, some of the articles can be as old as 1900 odd which really should be left alone as they would be worth more as antiques. 

One of the articles today was about an old lawn mower with the motor not working but it was amazing seeing the guy Dom's dismantling it, fixing the motor then touching it up until it looked brand new, some of the people that bring things in that used to belong to their departed loved ones when they see them restored become quite emotional. 

Repair Shop

Archived