talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Paul Robinson Retires

Burnley's former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson has announced his retirement at the age of 37.

Robinson, who began his career at Leeds in 1998 and also played for Tottenham and Blackburn, was capped 41 times for his country.

He joined Burnley in January 2016, making three Premier League appearances last season as cover for Tom Heaton.

Robinson, who made 498 club appearances, decided to retire after the recurrence of a back problem.

"My back problem returned towards the end of last season and has prevented me being ready for the start of the new season," he said.

"I have been very lucky to play for four very special football clubs and my country."

Robinson was the England keeper at the 2006 World Cup in Germany, keeping four clean sheets in five games including the goalless quarter-final which Portugal won on penalties.

But he paid the price for costly errors as England failed to reach Euro 2008, most famously failing to connect with a Gary Neville back pass which resulted in an own goal in the 2-0 defeat in Croatia.

Robinson finally retired from international football in August 2011.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40632390

Can't believe he is 37.

How do you rate his career? How will he go down?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Paul Robinson's first couple games. Nigel Martyn, our ever dependable Number 1, was injured and we promoted this young kid up to the first team. A clean sheet on his debut against Chelsea was followed days later by an absolutely phenomenal performance at home to Barcelona. It would have been back to back clean sheets if it wasn't for Rivaldo's 94th minute equaliser. You could tell he had talent.

Robinson gradually took the spot from Martyn a couple years later and performed admirably for us. I'll never forget his 90th minute headed goal against Swindon in the League Cup to take the game to extra time. Mental scenes.

He soon moved on when we went down and flogged all our players and Spurs were lucky to get him at such a cut price. I think he started well there and after 3 season's or so, he started to drop a little.

He won't go down as one of the great's by any means, but he is one of the 'better' keepers our country has produced. When people remember keepers, they easily focus on mistakes than the overall performances but he was a good, solid keeper. He did win 40 odd caps for England after all so was no mug.

Good luck to him.

On 17/07/2017 at 7:34 PM, JOSHBRFC said:

Shame he ended his career at Burnley.

I believe he was at his best when he was with us. 

His best years were at Tottenham when he first joined them. The season they nearly beat Arsenal to fourth he looked very composed. He didn't look out of place in that 'Golden Generation' team at all. In fact I remember people being grateful he came through as a goalkeeper at that time as people thought he was one category behind the best goalies in the world and he had time on his side. It was that moment against Croatia that lost him his confidence, then following poor man management from Steve Maclaren, a Managerial appointment in Juande Ramos who didn't rate him, and working with Paul Ince he never got back to that level again.

He had a good time under Allardyce, but it was not as good as it was under Jol.

Archived