talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gareth Bale Retires

football forum

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised really. He's been knackered by lack of game time and injuries for a few seasons and looked a shadow of himself.

However, that doesn't take away his achievements in club and international football and will go down in history as arguably the greatest ever player in Welsh football.

• The title was changed to Gareth Bale Retires
  • Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Not surprised really. He's been knackered by lack of game time and injuries for a few seasons and looked a shadow of himself.

However, that doesn't take away his achievements in club and international football and will go down in history as arguably the greatest ever player in Welsh football.

Giggs vs Bale - Who was better?

• Subscriber

People are forgetting about Ian Rush one of the Welsh greats if not the greatest to me.

Liverpool

First Division League Titles: 5
FA Cup: 3
League Cup 5
Football League Super Cup: 1
European Cup: 2
Charity Shield: 2
European Golden Boot: 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, MUFC said:

Giggs vs Bale - Who was better?

Bale.

Giggs was a great but Bale was more naturally talented than Bale was.

I will get slated but it’s true.

Giggs was better than Scholes don’t her me wrong, regards United greats, but in terms of Welsh greats, Bale was better. More naturally talented carried Wales much better than Giggs ever did.

Also massively under appreciated by the Madrid fans. But they’re the worst fans in football so that’s no surprise.

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Bale.

Giggs was a great but Bale was more naturally talented than Bale was.

I will get slated but it’s true.

Giggs was better than Scholes don’t her me wrong, regards United greats, but in terms of Welsh greats, Bale was better. More naturally talented carried Wales much better than Giggs ever did.

Also massively under appreciated by the Madrid fans. But they’re the worst fans in football so that’s no surprise.

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

People are forgetting about Ian Rush one of the Welsh greats if not the greatest to me.

Liverpool

First Division League Titles: 5
FA Cup: 3
League Cup 5
Football League Super Cup: 1
European Cup: 2
Charity Shield: 2
European Golden Boot: 1

Robbie Savage was the best. He was almost Iniesta/Zidane level, but with a bit of Xavi/Pirlo in him. On his day he was World class. Do you know he once marked Zola out of a game?

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Robbie Savage was the best. He was almost Iniesta/Zidane level, but with a bit of Xavi/Pirlo in him. On his day he was World class. Do you know he once marked Zola out of a game?

In all seriousness none of them compared to Tugay. Not even Joking, man smoked 20 a day and still made every other Midfielder look like Pogba 

1 hour ago, JoshBRFC said:

In all seriousness none of them compared to Tugay. Not even Joking, man smoked 20 a day and still made every other Midfielder look like Pogba 

Savage stopped Essien getting a kick of the ball and man marked Zola out of the game. He was world class :ph34r:

On a serious note, Tugay could have gotten in any midfield. If surrounded by other top midfielders, he wouldn't have looked out of place.

8 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Injuries I think played a big part in this decision of his to retire at 33. Bale though was a top player, who was arguably Wales's best ever player in history alongside Ryan Giggs. It was Bale's deflected free-kick goal(which was eventually given as an own goal to Yarmolenko), which took Wales to their first World Cup in decades. I was there to see the joy in the faces of the Welsh fans that day at Cardiff City stadium. It was a huge feat for a small nation like Wales and Bale was a big reason behind their overall success in the qualifiers.

Bale's achievements at club level will also always be remembered, as he has been one of the most successful British footballers in history. Bale won an incredible 5 Champions League titles with Real Madrid. But he will particularly be remembered for scoring that world class overhead kick goal in the Champions League final against Liverpool, to ensure the trophy for Real Madrid in 2018. 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

:coffee:

A.png

b.png

C.png

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-take-a-bow-reactions-when-sir-alex-ferguson-told-park-ji-sung-to-man-mark-andrea-pirlo-20210216#:~:text=OK-,11 Years Ago Today%2C Sir Alex Ferguson Told Park Ji,Pirlo And It Was Genius&text="Your job today is not,Pirlo."

Would of thought he could of played another year at least in the MLS, he looked pretty good the last couple of times I saw him play.

Greatest Welsh player?  Most talented definitely,  but Giggs and Rush had more successful careers.  Bale's reputation will always be tarnished by his willingness to sit on Real's bench, collect his massive salary and play golf.

9 minutes ago, Machado said:

Pretty much retired about 5 years ago at 28 and people are debating who was better between him and Giggs. That's a joke.

Yeah I hate Giggs, enormous cunt, but by god he was consistent and absolutely top level for 2 decades. Bale was a beast in his prime (which lasted about 3 years) but fuck me better than Giggs? "He's more naturally gifted" is just code for 'he scored nice goals and dribbled nice sometimes'. The classic trap of overrating attackers. 

10 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Park was actually a solid player though to be honest. Very underrated.

I would say Giggs was the best Welsh player overall personally for the record. Bale was better for Wales itself but Giggs was better over his career at club level.

Obviously Rush was a class striker as well. Scored alot of goals. Mark Hughes wasn't bad either.

Older generations would say John Charles. He was before my time obviously though.

Neville Southall was also a good keeper.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Obviously Rush was a class striker as well. Scored alot of goals. Mark Hughes wasn't bad either.

Rush was a predator striker and one of the best, he might not have had the dribbling skills of Bale or Giggs but had an eye for goal and alertness to know if someone else was around and would lay it off for them to score, even a spell with Juve and then he arrived back at Anfield and carried on as per normal.

If he was still playing today and then moved to Real he would have been just as good as Bale and even better, all the Real 'Madridimo's' supporters would have loved him. 

On 10/01/2023 at 06:24, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Yeah I hate Giggs, enormous cunt, but by god he was consistent and absolutely top level for 2 decades. Bale was a beast in his prime (which lasted about 3 years) but fuck me better than Giggs? "He's more naturally gifted" is just code for 'he scored nice goals and dribbled nice sometimes'. The classic trap of overrating attackers. 

And the bun to hide the bald patch is fooling no one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived