The better place to talk football.

Jeff Beck dies age 78

football forum

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Jeff Beck, Guitar Virtuoso and Blues-Rock Innovator, Dead at 78 – Rolling Stone

"Hall of Fame musician and former Yardbird guitarist dies following short bout with bacterial meningitis"

Sad to hear. He gave us some superb albums and songs. RIP

I think that’s a different Beck than Jeff Beck, no?

I’ve heard Jeff Beck described as “your favourite guitarists favourite guitarist”

I like this song from this supergroup:

RIP

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think that’s a different Beck than Jeff Beck, no?

I’ve heard Jeff Beck described as “your favourite guitarists favourite guitarist”

I like this song from this supergroup:

RIP

You're right. Had the wrong artist

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I always thought it was Jeff Beck too until a few years ago. I feel like he shouldn’t have been allowed to call himself Beck.

The funny thing is I have heard both and thought to myself "this guy really is super versatile". Teach me to know better. Sorry Jeff you still put out some banging music. 

19 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

The funny thing is I have heard both and thought to myself "this guy really is super versatile". Teach me to know better. Sorry Jeff you still put out some banging music. 

I just learned he wrote that Superstition song with Stevie Wonder - who has the by far more famous recording of it.

That Beck Bogart Appice band is one hell of a blues rock supergroup though

• Subscriber

This is why i have a soft spot for studio musicians. you never see their faces but god the number of tracks they play on and add their creativity to is just insane. Not that Jeff was a studio musician but I am now looking at how many folks hes played with or worked with and its no wonder the guy is reverred so much.

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

This is why i have a soft spot for studio musicians. you never see their faces but god the number of tracks they play on and add their creativity to is just insane. Not that Jeff was a studio musician but I am now looking at how many folks hes played with or worked with and its no wonder the guy is reverred so much.

I think he thought of himself as mostly a studio musician tbh, even though he was famous around the world and certainly toured. He left the Yardbirds because he hated touring and wanted to spend more time making music in the studio.

The guy is nothing short of an absolute legend. Rock, blues, jazz, pop, metal... I'm sure there's more - the guy was a multi-genre musician, which is I think maybe not-so-rare nowadays (especially for studio guys), but he's remarkable in that basically every genre that he played in he's considered an influential guitarist.

Pretty sad how he died, tbh. Apparently if you get a bacterial meningitis infection... it doesn't take a whole lot of time to either completely incapacitate you (sometimes permanently) or kill you. So people were saying they'd seen him not too long ago and he was in great health and he seemed nowhere near death, apparently he'd just finished touring (with Johnny Depp... of all fucking people xD) and now he's suddenly gone.

Pretty massive loss for the music world, and for the guitar world in particular.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pretty sad how he died, tbh. Apparently if you get a bacterial meningitis infection... it doesn't take a whole lot of time to either completely incapacitate you (sometimes permanently) or kill you. So people were saying they'd seen him not too long ago and he was in great health and he seemed nowhere near death, apparently he'd just finished touring (with Johnny Depp... of all fucking people xD) and now he's suddenly gone.

Heard the guy isnt a bad guitarist haha. Not as good as Jeff clearly but still quite good.

• Subscriber
17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’ve seen a video of him playing and if he’s good, I think that makes you, @Happy Blue & myself world class… and we should start a band xD

Now this sounds like a fun project. Pick a song, do three recordings and put it together. I am game if @Happy Blue is. We all know Logic/GarageBand, we can all keep time and it might be a fun thing to do.

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Now this sounds like a fun project. Pick a song, do three recordings and put it together. I am game if @Happy Blue is. We all know Logic/GarageBand, we can all keep time and it might be a fun thing to do.

Sounds fun. don't have a way of record at the minute though as sold my focusrite, looking at getting a TASCAM DP006 6-TRACK DIGITAL POCKETSTUDIO

On 14/01/2023 at 05:00, Happy Blue said:

Sounds fun. don't have a way of record at the minute though as sold my focusrite, looking at getting a TASCAM DP006 6-TRACK DIGITAL POCKETSTUDIO

Couldn't you use your modeler as an interface? That's probably what I'll do too.

Archived