talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The first Internet search engine you used?

football forum

• Subscriber

When I started surfing in college round 1996. Most were on AltaVista but back then I was mostly using Yahoo. But I did use others prior to Google. There was Hotbot, Excite, Ask Jeeves and Lycos.

Which did you all use before Google dominated?

Back then people used a variety of search engines.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Lycos then a plethora of others. One thing from the era before smart-phones was having to go find directions to an unknown place, then print it out and have your friend navigate for you.

We just used maps... :ph34r:

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

The one that was built-in with Netscape Navigator. Infoseek, I think? 

Also remember using AltaVista, AskJeeves, Yahoo Search. Probably used some others too.

Netscape Navigator. From when browsers used to have splash-screens. I miss the good old days.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Harry said:

Good skills tbh. I was smarter when I had to know my way around

Yep. And it blew my mind when I realised that it's not a skill that everyone has. Now I am sure that if you gave people a good old paper map and asked them to go find a certain place using it, the majority of them would get lost on the way... 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, nudge said:

Yep. And it blew my mind when I realised that it's not a skill that everyone has. Now I am sure that if you gave people a good old paper map and asked them to go find a certain place using it, the majority of them would get lost on the way... 

The younger generation would have hissy fits if they suddenly had to do things the old way. I remember when we used to buy things from selling magazines. Once we brought gym stuff and had to go from Manchester to Southampton. This is nearly 5 hours. Guess we had for directions? Just step by step instructions the seller gave us on the phone. Which motorways, A roads and streets names. Hard work but much more fun and rewarding.

Honestly don't remember... it was a very primitive search engine we used when we got internet in '97 or so. We spent the entire weekend looking up random things in awe of every result we'd get. It will either have been Altavista or a crappy Dutch website called Startpagina. There was another Dutch search engine called Ilse but that came later and I never used it much.

I know we had Netscape Navigator as our browser, so maybe we used some kind of integrated search engine it had.

3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Think it was Yahoo fore, especially as I used to play things like Yahoo Pool and Yahoo Chess, followed by the old chat as well.

Funnily enough, I'm sure it was Yahoo's Chat that I bumped into @Honey Honey for the old ESM games. Nothing to do with free sweets at all. 

I remember the Yahoo chat days. That's how I was groomed to join the first version of this place 18ish years ago.

On 13/01/2023 at 14:28, MUFC said:

The younger generation would have hissy fits if they suddenly had to do things the old way. I remember when we used to buy things from selling magazines. Once we brought gym stuff and had to go from Manchester to Southampton. This is nearly 5 hours. Guess we had for directions? Just step by step instructions the seller gave us on the phone. Which motorways, A roads and streets names. Hard work but much more fun and rewarding.

Each generation acquires the skills they have to. That fairly standard. I mean could you navigate a ship using the stars? 

Older people can be just as bad when they have to use modern technology 

On 13/01/2023 at 11:21, nudge said:

Again its a case of acquiring the skills you need. I always struggled to find my way around. I'm probably worse now with Google maps. However when I found it hard anyway there isn't really much motivation to put significant effort to get better at it when I have so many other things to worry about 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Each generation acquires the skills they have to. That fairly standard. I mean could you navigate a ship using the stars? 

Older people can be just as bad when they have to use modern technology 

Teach me how to navigate via the stars and I'll do it.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Again its a case of acquiring the skills you need. I always struggled to find my way around. I'm probably worse now with Google maps. However when I found it hard anyway there isn't really much motivation to put significant effort to get better at it when I have so many other things to worry about 

Yeah, but if you ask me, being able to read a simple map is still one of the essential practical skills everyone should have... It's not as if maps are obsolete, and the skill is also transferable, not to mention that it is extremely useful for improving one's spatial awareness and problem solving skills, which is one of the reasons why it is still being taught in most primary schools worldwide. I'm not talking about orienteering using a map and a compass, or more advanced stuff like triangulation etc., just a simple ability to read a map. As in, being able to find your position and directions to your destination. 

17 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, but if you ask me, being able to read a simple map is still one of the essential practical skills everyone should have... It's not as if maps are obsolete, and the skill is also transferable, not to mention that it is extremely useful for improving one's spatial awareness and problem solving skills, which is one of the reasons why it is still being taught in most primary schools worldwide. I'm not talking about orienteering using a map and a compass, or more advanced stuff like triangulation etc., just a simple ability to read a map. As in, being able to find your position and directions to your destination. 

Fair enough but like I said there would be skills that people from past generations would be shocked we don't have like sewing for example.

Also like I said reading maps can be very difficult for some people. And most people have enough to worry about that if they struggle they aren't going to spend loads of time and effort learning it when they have a phone that can tell them the way. It's different if you find it easy 

Archived