talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2018 - General Chat

football forum

football forum
9 hours ago, Stan said:

Has anyone ever seen this?

First time in this mammoth save that I've seen it happen, and to my memory first time in any FM save I've had...

image.png

I checked their finances and it says they're 'rich' so not sure what the financial reasons could be? 

Haha, what the fuck? Never seen that (not with AI teams either).

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Stan said:

Has anyone ever seen this?

First time in this mammoth save that I've seen it happen, and to my memory first time in any FM save I've had...

image.png

I checked their finances and it says they're 'rich' so not sure what the financial reasons could be? 

Never seen a game hit 2063 tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

How is everyones saves going?

I've got one going with Hellas Verona. Won promotion in the first season and managed to stay up in my first season in Serie A. 

I'm currently deploying Ricardo Gareca's tactic.

be79f7ff5c9ed8f3218a73179ea0b228.png

Inspired by Ricardo Gareca, here is how my tactic functions

Full backs: The one on support is Trauco. Not necessarily overlapping but going to the center to support the midfield and put in crosses from deep. Meanwhile Crescenzi is Advincula, having a good balance of defence and attack. Covering a lot of ground on his side.

Marcos Bahia is Yotun. Deep lying playmaker who will put in a lot of deep long passes and also work in the art of defence. 

Lee Seung-Woo is Edison Flores. Not always influencing the game but cutting inside and getting important goals that matter. Sinisterra is Carrillo, running to the byline before a cross. I've also got him hugging the touch line.

The only 2 positions I've not got defined are the CF (Guerrero) and CAM (Cueva). Di Carmine has done a lot better this season but he's still not that great. I also can't find a great dynamic CAM. It was Lee Seung-Woo but I've got him on the left now.

Having a really good season. I signed Hassane Bande to have a new left inside forward and he's been doing well. Marcos Bahia has also really turned it up a notch this year, as he's my highest average rating player.

Fighting for Europa league now.

My odds to win the league were 1000-1 and we were predicted near the bottom.

I defied the odds and finished in the top 7, qualifying for the Europa league.

8e1a77b727fb4ef72171ca22d7af239d.png

Pre-season done.

First of some expectations. Not sure if I want to aim for a UCL spot but I at the very least want more than 61 points, my total last year. I want to gradually build upon each season.

As for the Europa league, call me ambitious but I want to win it. I feel it is definitely doable. Haven't had the draw yet but I'll keep you all updated.

Here are the transfers.

With Marcos Bahia out, I was able to sign 1 more non-eu player than the limit of just 1. Meaning I was able to sign 2 this year, and they were Cavalcanti and Salguiero. Cavalcanti looks incredible, it was between him and another Brazilian regen. The other one had similar stats and was either footed, but I opted for Cavalcanti because I thought he was the superior player. Liverpool signed the other bloke. Salguiero on the other hand, looks a very good young right back who isn't the fastest perhaps but has great mentals and I particularly needed a future right back to fight along the spot with Crescenzi.

Marcos Bahia went out for 15M, I also lost Szalai who was a flop in his first season, but somewhat influential in the second. I didn't mind selling Bahia because I have 2 other DLP (Saul Hernandez and Liam Henderson). I also think he has peaked, so I may as well have cashed in and reinforced with another non-eu for the future.

fdada0d0be7b9488c1f51a0b85aaab81.png

b6da37ca13f5ce72144c04c033172d3f.png

09fa6a681261038a967550f1a98b93aa.png

Unfortunately, the pundits still don't believe in us and have us at 700-1, the second lowest odds. I think we'll qualify for Europa again at the very least, I'm hoping to aim for more but the squad will take a while to fully gel into a top tier team. For now I'll have to make do with a similar year to last season.

I'll also leave the squad below.

a0a8176bc12afeb65330aa263d74a18b.png

35f4867dd5d3b48fd8675a01ac5b2c75.png

@Cannabis @Stan @The Palace Fan @Dan @...Dan

Had a rough start to the season but I just got a big win over Juve!

After 4 games I'm with 4 points. Now I have the Europa League draw shortly.

b1bb253af4dd4cd99485a51f5f032be4.png

1 hour ago, Dan said:

It is refreshing reading you actually sticking with a save here and doing bloody well too!

Yes, absolutely.

My 2 weakest points in FM are development and tactics, the latter of which is so important. I figured replicating Gareca's tactic will help out a lot, and sure enough it did.

I just finished pre-season with Verona.

First off before anything, I lost to BVB in the Europa second round. For some reason, it was only one leg and I lost 3-0. I was really annoyed I have to say.

The season in general wasn't that astounding. We had a really bad first half of the season, and did really well in the second half. I do think no Europe is good for us though, to be honest we chose the worst season to qualify (Qatar World Cup year). It fucked with our fitness and the scheduling in awful really did not help. For example, we got Juventus 2 days before Dortmund.

In the end we finished 13th. Still matched expectations, but not quite what I wanted.

e100db4a2642f7955f127d516023fe38.png

Anyhow, I got a 36 million budget this year and I spent it as much as I can. Mostly on quality young footballers to help develop the side. As always I could only sign 1 non-EU player so I went for an Argentina goalkeeper. Markovich looks incredible I have to say, Deubel is good but he doesn't have the best potential. After a Saudi Arabian forward rejected me, I went for this keeper.

I needed a ball winning midfielder, and I went for a Swiss player from Basel. He was quite costly but I think he'll be worth it. My assistant doesn't rate him as a BWM but I think he'll do a good job there. Then I signed a German player from Leipzig who looks incredible for his age. I needed a new winger now that Sinisterra is kind of getting on. I still think Hassane Bande has 1 or 2 more seasons left in him for us, but Sinisterra has kind of had his day for the long term. So I needed to reinvest.

I signed a few other players that you can be the judge of.

aa7f98909577f93502286bf5beb20d9c.png

9813860a6a3ccdd7739ff9a2e010e4f0.png

c1bac922930304b50969371be70b1d4b.png

242410b395ca9bb70b3e9a4a263c0314.png

7ea7dadee07258e7f0cf3f998d2c2f12.png

40cfcb4917ad94a4dd5ab7ce5db89dfb.png

46928eba9b52d59e65ec3fa161d8c8cf.png

August

f06ecd28422f655dc05ec34861f05b9d.png

Verona 2-0 Ascoli

It was really just a debut game for most of our players. Against a lower tiered side, it wouldn't have mattered what side we put out for the most part. We were 1-0 for most of the game and didn't create very many chances at all. Overall an average game but I plan to win the Italian Cup this season so I'm glad we got the job done.

Genoa 1-1 Verona

Still geling and some still lacking match sharpness. The game was even to be honest. New signing Gutschow scored and overall it was another average performance. However, habemus goalkeeper. Literally, Markovich saved plenty in this game.

Verona 3-0 Palermo

To be honest, we're still in the process of geling and not that convincing. We only got 2 more goals at the end because Palermo were down to 9 men at the end. Gutschow looked excellent, and Yan Cavalcanti was out injured so the Irish Jak Bell got a go and didn't disappoint. The first goal was a short pass inside the box to fool the goalkeeper for Jak Bell to get in a good position and easily finish to give Mastini the lead.

Player Podium

1. Elvio Markovich

2. Vinzenz Gutschow

3. Jure Balkovec

September

b02c4194faec81504d88f3f468a67624.png

Udinese 0-0 Verona

We were dominant but lacked that finishing touch. There is not much else to say really, a bit of a drab 0-0. Bad decision making from us in the final third.

Verona 4-1 Empoli

Our first truly convincing performance of the year. 4 different goalscorers but Jure Balkovec who has been with us since the beginning of my tenure was the stand out. Really dominated the left side and his overlapping runs really tore Empoli apart. Gutschow scores again and he is turning out to be a very decent signing.

Bologna 0-0 Verona

A truly awful performance. We we're outplayed and had plenty of chances to score. Thankfully, Elvio Marcovich was on top form and he is really looking like my best signing so far in my time at the club. He also saved a penalty and saved about 2 other clear cuts. With Ferrari or Deubel, we would have lost 2 or 3 to nil, with all due respect to them.

Player Podium

1. Elvio Marcovich

2. Jure Balkovec

3. Vizenz Gutschow

October

680799cb4bdb643cf84db7d215ab0726.png

Verona 1-0 Cagliari

We were dominant but very, very wasteful. I think Orsolini missed about 5 clear cuts. Luckily we were never in danger of losing, or even drawing. We were completely on top and we just needed a little bit better finishing.

Verona 3-1 Napoli

Orsolini made up for the last game and bagged a brace here. Yan was also excellent. This game was domination from our side as we went 3-0 up at one point and conceded in the last 15 minutes of the game. Overall a very satisfying win and performance.

Lazio 0-0 Verona

Unfortunately I can see the away form being the problem. Marcovich was massive again and really stopped Lazio from finding the breakthrough. Otherwise it was a very average performance from us, we weren't totally outplayed but we didn't play well.

Fiorentina 2-1 Verona

The unbeaten run is done. This was actually our best away performance but we made a few errors at the back. Thankfully, we did well offensively and that shows some promising signs for the away matches. 

----------------------------------------------------------

So far we haven't even drawn a home game, which is great. The downside is we haven't won an away game, but I'm sure that will change soon enough.

Player Podium

1. Yan Cavalcanti

2. Elvio Marcovich

3. Ricardo Orsolini

November

127f7a6ae5fa7bf54b012d40dcafb823.png

Verona 3-0 Roma

We weren't quite as dominant as the scoreline suggests. We did very well to take our chances and the first goal was also kind of lucky. Long shot that hits the post and the rebounds off Keylor Navas' back. Afterwards we were able to take advantage of our shots but despite that it wasn't quite as convincing as the scoreline suggests.

Sampdoria 2-3 Verona

We started off poorly but as soon as we got the equalizer (our first goal) we took control of the game. Gutschow really put on a show here.

Verona 4-2 Salernitana

We really should have wonb this by a bigger margin. Salernitana got 3 shots all game and managed to score 2 of them. 1 from a scrappy corner and the other from a long shot. Gutschow was very good but my man of the match here would be Marteinsson.

SPAL 1-1 Verona

In my opinion, the worst performance of the season. Despite this we were able to draw it and almost win it near the end too. However, that doesn't excuse that the performance was bad.

Player Podium

1. Vinzenz Gutschow

2. Yan Cavalcanti

3. Gudjorn Marteinsson.

217ff89dc546ff43466a5c9b6f9b4d83.png

December

117286365742bb220b7539be03434f19.png

Verona 0-1 Atalanta

A scrappy last minute goal from Atalanta sees them become the first team to win at our ground this season. We were dominant but as usual, pretty wasteful.

Verona 1-0 Catania

They didn't get a single shot in the entire game. We had it well under control, but we really should have won by more.

Chievo 1-2 Verona

We started off by losing but were able to turn it around in style. Perhaps not the most convincing win in the world but I'll take it.

Verona 1-2 Sassuolo

Sassuolo are the current champions, but we really bottled this one. We were up 1-0 until we had a player sent off and they managed to turn the game around. This was a must win really because our next 3 league games were tough fixtures, and as expected they went horribly.

Napoli 1-1 Verona (3-0 penalties)

We were looking real good until they scored in the 85th minute and then went on to win it on penalties. Marcovich tried his best to save us but we didn't help ourselves, having missed all 3 penalties. In the end, the Italian Cup dream is now over.

Inter 5-1 Verona

Verona 1-4 Milan

Juventus 3-1 Verona

I'll talk about these 3 in one because they were basically the same thing. My players were tired and in 5 days I couldn't win all 3. The thing that annoys me is I lost all 3 and am 4 games winless in the league at the moment. Hopefully we come back from Winter Break a lot better.

Player Podium

1. Hassan Bande

2. Yan Cavalcanti

3. Ricardo Orsolini.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived