talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2018 - General Chat

football forum

Just now, Cannabis said:

Nice work Brian, I would be playing FM myself but my laptop runs like a potato at the moment. Need to totally wipe it tbh.

Maybe try playing an earlier version? If you don't mind the outdated roster, surely it could run better, or is it that bad? xD

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January

5648269ec8185f02a010a6953fb692fa.png

Verona 1-2 Genoa

Bad start to the second half of the season. I thought we would equalize when we scored our consolation at 1-2, but they were closer to the third in the end. 5 game winless run, can we break that hoodoo?

Palermo 1-5 Verona

Yes we can! We were average in the first half but superb in the second. Keep in mind we have a few players missing. Cavalcanti is out due to injury and Marcovich is with Argentina's U23's. Overall a very good win and I'm delighted that Jak Bell is finally doing well.

Player Podium

1. Jure Balkovec

2. Jak Bell

3. Vinzenz Gutschow

Currently in March. Have 1 game left this month and I have to update February as well. I'm doing some scouting though during the international break so it may take a while. Here are a few hints in point form.

- My form has really fallen. I'm still in a good position that I can still qualify to the Europa league, but I'm losing more and more games stupidly.

- I've taken the time to get rid of a few non-EU spots that don't really have a place in the club anymore. Sinisterra, Lee Seung-Woo, Ricardo Sanchez and Liam Henderson.

February and March

37ffa1b355fc8f008241942dafe13f79.png

Verona 1-1 Udinese

We were down for most of the game, but Hassane Bande stepped in and scored at a good time. Unfortunately that's as far as it got. We weren't able to capitalize from there and the game ended at 1 all.

Empoli 2-1 Verona

This loss left a sour taste. Not only were they in relegation zone, but they won it with the last kick of the game. Bande stepped up again but wasn't able to carry us much further. Really annoying this loss.

Verona 0-0 Bologna

Cagliari 0-0 Verona

These 2 were basically the same game. We were good defensively but not good enough offensively. Overall another 2 garbage performances and arguably the worst month so far.

Player Podium

1. Hassane Bande

2. Gudjorn Marteinsson

3. Juro Balkovec

Napoli 3-0 Verona

We won there 3-0 last season and already got a draw for the Italian Cup. It was their turn and they dominated the game. Not much from our side as it really was an easy win for them.

Verona 0-1 Lazio

There has been a losing formula. Concede early and be wasteful for the rest of the game. Sounds like Gareca's tactics alright. Despite being a man up all second half, we missed too many chances to pull level and that's another tough loss for us.

Verona 3-0 Fiorentina

A much better performance. I actually debuted my 17 year old prospect generated at the club in Bevilacquah. He managed to score and was a beast on that right hand side. He won himself a spot from there. Otherwise I learned that I need to keep Orsolini in the starting lineup if I want to get back to Europe. He's so effective as a 10.

Roma 3-1 Verona

Back to losing. Another poor month but it wasn't as bad as the start of 2024. We actually took control of the games against Lazio and Fiorentina which is different to prior games. We took the lead here but they immediately pegged back and went 2 goals up within 15 minutes of that.

Player Podium

1. Jure Balkovec

2. Ricardo Orsolini

3. Yan Cavalcanti

April

62564d4b72e870f5820910cafae528b0.png

Verona 3-1 Sampdoria

Cavalcanti overheard that I wanted to replace him and put on a show to shut me up. hattrick and a turnaround against Sampdoria to put us back in a good position after struggling so much in recent months.

Salernitana 0-3 Verona

Very good performance. We had it under control the whole time. Cavalcanti with another goal, hopefully the lad sorts his consistency because that is what he is lacking I reckon.

Verona 1-2 SPAL

No red cards or anything. There was a last minute winner from SPAL though and it was bloody annoying. Bande came back into the team and scored again, but other than him the whole team was on dry form.

Atalanta 1-1 Verona

Bad result. We were the dominant team but conceded a sloppy goal from a corner and weren't able to get back into it after that. Very few clear cuts.

Verona 2-0 Chievo

Think this is the result that sent Chievo back to Serie B. Just for that this is a delightful result. Gutschow got back to scoring but also missed a horrible sitter early in the match. Either way this was a good performance. Never looked like conceding.

Player Podium

1. Yan Cavalcanti

2. Ricardo Orsolini

3. Liam Henderson

May

818d163a42f2e5c15ca07ec2d614a22e.png

Verona 0-1 Sassulo

Honestly have no idea how this happened. We were just trash. Next

Verona 1-2 Inter

Given our bad form, I saw this one coming to be honest. We took the lead but I had a real feeling they would turn it around and sure enough I predicted it right. Orsolini is my permanent penalty taker on another note, he seems to do well with them.

Milan 2-0 Verona

Not much to say. Milan were dominant here.

Verona 4-0 Juventus

A classy way to end the season. We had them on the ropes, and it honestly could have been 5 as they were down to 10 and we missed a few sitters. With that Juventus finished in 13th, I don't get it either but I won't complain!

Player Podium

1. Ricardo Orsolini

2. Saul Hernandez

3. Vinzenz Gutschow

With that, the season is done! Here are the standings.

d426f3968e850ba512c8891cc0088ca5.png

12th spot I guess I can be content with, especially with how we collapsed after New Years. Juventus did terribly I have to say! We even finished above them. They have gone to bits on this one.

Anyways, here is how I would rank my side.

Player Podium

1. Saul Hernandez

2. Elvio Marcovich

3. Vinzenz Gutschow

Time for pre-season... I've spent about 10 hours on this one as I was really picky and wanted to make sure I got the best player possible. I got close but the best players didn't want to join. It was frustrating really but there were also a lot of sales. Let's get to those.

aa2d79d86385fa767e1a7a48aa16362d.png

As you can see, a lot of players went out. I felt we have consolidated ourselves as a mid table/top half side as opposed to one that battles relegation every season. It's not entirely because of those players either. The only 2 risks in my sales were Saul Hernandez and Hassan Bande. We'll get to the former in a bit as it was a bit of a telenovela. I sold Bande because I wanted to clear up a non-eu spot to make room for better youngsters and not allow myself to stagnate. The offer was good so I accepted. He has been a good servant to the club and I wish him the best at Wolves.

Sinisterra, Lee Seung-Woo and Liam Henderson it was time to move them on. They had their uses as subs in later seasons but they didn't impact the game as much anymore and I needed to free up non-eu spots so I decided to cash in.

Now as for the players I signed...

No panic buys, I had a few targets that didn't want to join but I'm still happy with my business. The thing that does annoy me a bit is how top heavy we have become. We have about 5 quality strikers and that's only because for some reason most of the good regens on this save are number 9's that are competent on the wing. It's hard to come by good number 10's, full backs and wingers. So I signed players who can be retrained in other positions in the attack.

Juddy Mandanda as you can see I spent a bit of money on. It was because of the Saul Hernandez sale. He's a Swiss forward and I think 17M is a good price for him as he's absolutely outrageous for his age. 

Then my 2 non-EU players were Colombians. Diaz I got for less than 1M and he's a bargain. None of the big Colombian clubs had snapped him up yet so I took advantage before his price would begin to rise. No regrets. Then there was Meza, who has everything you want in a no-nonsense CB. I needed another defender as Alan Empereur is getting on and Marteinsson is a bit limited so he needs a partner to help him out there.

I also signed a French/Ivorian player from Malmo and a Dutch midfielder from Feyenoord who both have good potential but I don't think I'll start them a lot this season.

4eeb48625582f4f96fcfbf6ddf60c827.png

d626da761c08f60506a183afda2b27c4.png

ec9322957408d7f254ca51aa00ae5672.png

0c5e5f21d251bc7e12bf9e8a3c05d7d2.png

79a0a474c110638816cc295ddec0ef07.png

Now it's time for the Saul Hernandez era.

Saul Hernandez - new telenovela tonight on Univision.

What happened exactly?

Saul Hernandez has been at the club for about 5 seasons. I signed him up for 2.3M when he was 16 years old and he was arguably my best player. 17M might seem a bit of a low figure to sell him, but I still made a profit and I also didn't feel like I had a choice. He was unhappy and his contract was running out, so I needed to make a profit before he was able to leave on a free.

So Valencia sent in a 16M offer for him, and I immediately rejected thinking that I wouldn't sell him. Afterwards, Milan came in with 3 offers of the same price. This made me reconsider my stance, but I wasn't going to sell him to a league rival. No chance.

So I began to offer him out to clubs and nobody was interested. Not even Milan came back until after I successfully convinced other clubs to come and get him. I tried to get 25M off of him but nobody was interested.

I lowered the price to 18M accepting that given I had a 24M budget at the time, the sale of Hernandez will help me rebuild my squad a bit and continue getting better. What was the result? I got an 9M offer from Celta de Vigo, much worse than what Milan and Valencia had offered and they withdrew when I raised it to 20M.

They sent in 2 offers, but in the end I was able to convince Barcelona and Dortmund to offer for him. However, the prick was impatient and without knowing 2 big clubs were after him, he got all annoyed at me for pricing him out of a move to Celta. He was even more unhappy than before.

Barcelona and Dortmund also offered 9M, but luckily I was able to convince them to make it about 18M. Since the 2 had the finances, they accepted the price and now it was a battle between the 2 to see who were able to acquire his services.

In the end, I got a smaller price than I would have liked but Barcelona got him and I was able to avoid the Bosman ruling.

bded170620bd13365d1682b45dd7be0e.png

August and September

bbf44c6c15dc1725f1e8f04ed16b0995.png

Verona 1-2 Chievo

We have a very different squad and this was their first game together. Regardless, this was an unacceptable result and we're going to have to wait longer for an Italian Cup win.

Cosenza 1-1 Verona

We were well on top. Keep in mind this was the beginning of a new but short lived 4-3-3 formation. In terms of how it went, as I said we were on top but as always, we couldn't score. This resulted in a last minute goal (as always) and the result ended in a terrible start to the season.

Verona 1-2 Fiorentina

We took the lead first and then they turned it around. It really wasn't a great performance, Cavalcanti got on the scoresheet again but overall it was a poor result.

Udinese 5-2 Verona

I'm hoping there won't be a result worse than this. This was when I decided to go back to our 4-2-3-1. The reason I changed to begin with is because of how many forwards I have. Overall we got smashed and we didn't do anything to try and win the game.

Player Podium

1. Yan Cavalcanti

2. Ricardo Orsolini

3. Manuel Meza

September

Verona 0-0 Benevento

Not a great result but I'll take it to get back on track. We didn't create very much but never really looked like losing it either.

Sampdoria 3-0 Verona

Very good performance. Gutschow finally back on track with 2 goals and an assist. We were very convincing and things should get better from here.

Napoli 3-3 Verona

This one was interesting. We went 3-0 down and were able to successfully fight back. That's a good sign. I've had so many fight backs that I failed to complete but this time - and at 3 goals down - we showed real determination to get the points. A draw I would have taken before the match so I can't complain here.

Player Podium

1. Elvio Marcovich

2. Manuel Meza

3. Vinzenz Gutschow

• 2 weeks later...
football forum
50 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

My Spanish moneyball save was alright but now I'm looking for some inspiration. Any ideas for a good save? Not so much taking over a specific club, but a more general challenge...

Bilbao I had fun with but it requires a lot of patience. Only signing Basque players which forces you to basically pump money into the academy. 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Bilbao I had fun with but it requires a lot of patience. Only signing Basque players which forces you to basically pump money into the academy. 

Tempted to do a save where I only buy domestic players at some point, means I have to commit to one club when I usually prefer to move every 3-4 years though...

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why’s nobody playing FM19? It seems everyone’s still on 17 or 18. 

I was simply happy to continue my mammoth FM18 save as and when. I couldn't see myself having time to get stuck in to the new version just yet (and that still applies really).

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why’s nobody playing FM19? It seems everyone’s still on 17 or 18. 

I'm playing FM19. I haven't done updates on here as it's quite time consuming. It's the best in the series yet. It runs a lot smoother than FM18 and has all the improvements.

FM19 Touch is what I use on the work commutes. It's like FM17 but runs a lot quicker. If recommend that to anybody.

My only complaint, if I can call it a complaint, is that i seem to be doing really well all the time.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Put an enquiry in for a player.

Club say player 'not for sale at any price'.

Notice player has minimum fee release clause for £300k.

Player sold to me for £300k :D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Got a winger who has only scored 1 goal in 17 appearances (14 starts).

Said to him I want to see more goals from him, his response?

image.png

I've got 13 players in the squad who have scored more than him (in January) with 3 of those being defensive players and one of them being a 16 year old defender xD 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived