The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2018 - General Chat

football forum

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
31 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Is it just me that finds the assistant doesn't speak to you at all? I've gone through full 90 minute games without any feedback which is really frustrating.

not experienced that to be honest. The one I haven't isn't great but he still gives one or two bits of advice throughout the game. 

football forum

Another question, does age and languages spoken have an effect in the game? I'm struggling like no tomorrow with Hoffenheim but it's the first time that I've put in my real age (23) and I only speak English. 

Despite no real negatives in my tenure the players just don't care about me at all, they don't even acknowledge me in teamtalks.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Another question, does age and languages spoken have an effect in the game? I'm struggling like no tomorrow with Hoffenheim but it's the first time that I've put in my real age (23) and I only speak English. 

Despite no real negatives in my tenure the players just don't care about me at all, they don't even acknowledge me in teamtalks.

stick with it. over time they form a bond with you. 

I think age will have a factor because you don't have the years of experience of playing and therefore lack authority.

Win a few games on the run and they'll start to respect you. Other things I've noticed that help gain respect are praising where necessary and disciplining where necessary (if a player gets a straight red and it's justified, a week's ban suffices).

Ask one of the team leaders or influential players to recommend a signing; if you go on to sign them that works wonders with that player and a few of his social group.

I don't know about languages either to be honest. Maybe get a German assistant manager if you don't have one (presumably majority of your squad are German/German-speaking. 

But I had the same about acknowledgement in team-talks - at first they were wholly unresponsive, then a few started paying attention and getting less distracted. I'm in November now and they're starting to pay attention as a group and reacting to assertive or calm team-talks, as well as post-match assertive/aggressive (if necessary) team-talks. 

football forum

I'll perservere, thanks @Stan. I just didn't know if it was normal for me to be ignored this blatantly xD

What's everyone's thoughts on the game so far too? Better than 17?

• Subscriber

I read a rant on reddit this morning saying that the dynamics thing and match engine is better but the user interface is shocking and makes it even harder to find things, particularly on the tactics screen. Yes? No?

football forum
48 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I read a rant on reddit this morning saying that the dynamics thing and match engine is better but the user interface is shocking and makes it even harder to find things, particularly on the tactics screen. Yes? No?

The whole in-game UI is pretty awful if you ask me. Not a fan at all.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I'll perservere, thanks @Stan. I just didn't know if it was normal for me to be ignored this blatantly xD

What's everyone's thoughts on the game so far too? Better than 17?

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

The whole in-game UI is pretty awful if you ask me. Not a fan at all.

some parts are better as I've mentioned previously. I really don't like the new pitch interface where the information screen overlaps the pitch. Sometimes the pitch is ridiculously bright as well and it clashes with teams who play in light-coloured kits. Preferred the older layout where you had the overview screen and then it would switch to split pitch view for highlights.

football forum
10 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Football Manager will include gay players in FM18. 

It's a game and regen's sexuality has no bearing on the game. What an utterly pointless inclusion. 

Utterly pointless and not needed.

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Is it just me that finds the assistant doesn't speak to you at all? I've gone through full 90 minute games without any feedback which is really frustrating.

Consider yourself lucky. I want to slap mine when he tells me to go more direct four minutes after he's told me to retain possession.

7 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Cheers for that. I agree in general that this appears to be just another shoe horned job to appease the LGBT and SJW lot.

However, I'd be curious to see if a player coming out as gay would have any affect on the team dynamic that they're using this year  (ie. would the manager have to respond to this, would the player lose or gain morale based on the response, would it affect the team in any way etc.).

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Cheers for that. I agree in general that this appears to be just another shoe horned job to appease the LGBT and SJW lot.

However, I'd be curious to see if a player coming out as gay would have any affect on the team dynamic that they're using this year  (ie. would the manager have to respond to this, would the player lose or gain morale based on the response, would it affect the team in any way etc.).

I think given they want to normalise it all, I doubt there'd be much change in the dynamic. Not by players anyway especially when they talk about being sued hence they only do it for regens. 

12 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Miles Jacobson, the game's director, talking about the Brexit thing they did in the previous version: "it helped us realise we can be a bit more outward in our thinking in trying to make the world a better place."

Why can't anyone just make a fucking video game anymore?

10 hours ago, Stan said:

I think given they want to normalise it all, I doubt there'd be much change in the dynamic. Not by players anyway especially when they talk about being sued hence they only do it for regens. 

Yeah I guess. Goes back to what Smiley original said and that the inclusion is pointless if it's purely for political point scoring.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Anybody else gathering a high portion of red cards in center mid or is something I'm doing?

nah I've had a few as well.

Also getting a lot of '[Player X] nearly got lucky with that!' from crosses where the keeper knocks it out for a corner over the bar or at near post. 

football forum

Had my BWM get a few yellows but not a red yet although I have only played two competitive games. I'm sure the season opener against Wolfsburg will be a bloodbath and see me finish with nine men though so I'll keep you all posted :D

Where are you managing now @Stanley?

• Administrator
Just now, Cannabis said:

Had my BWM get a few yellows but not a red yet although I have only played two competitive games. I'm sure the season opener against Wolfsburg will be a bloodbath and see me finish with nine men though so I'll keep you all posted :D

Where are you managing now @Stanley?

Crewe. They have some decent youngsters as expected. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

nah I've had a few as well.

Also getting a lot of '[Player X] nearly got lucky with that!' from crosses where the keeper knocks it out for a corner over the bar or at near post. 

So that hasn't changed from FM17. I'd forgotten until this new save how many crosses either get tipped over or even more incredibly bounce off the top of the bar and back into play.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

So that hasn't changed from FM17. I'd forgotten until this new save how many crosses either get tipped over or even more incredibly bounce off the top of the bar and back into play.

not much.

big fan of an addition I've just found out existed - when you've made your subs and clicked 'confirm changes', then the opponents score - you get a pop up asking something along the lines of 'process these subs even after this goal?'. I like that it gives you that option to cancel subs and re-think them or change game-plan if required.

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was pinned

Archived