talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Danny Ings - Aston Villa to West Ham

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villa must have a striker coming in.

I find it strange they would rely on Ollie Watkins whose been a bit poor this season. Ings is by far their better finisher but it's quite clear Emery doesn't see him as a long term option.

I think the success of Bailey has probably been the nail in the coffin for Ings there too.

For £15m, that's a clever signing for West Ham, you can't not see him getting goals there.

I did feel this was on the cards.

Emery likely has studied the recent year or so. Seen that Watkins (just turned 27) looks ineffective & has stunted since being used more as a wing attacker. Or Ings drops too deep rather than being where he he did score vs Wolves & Brighton in the recent good Emery run.

It is gamble of sorts for Villa. Ings is our top scorer. Placing hope that Watkins hits his previous to Ings form. That Duran can contribute. And perhaps that they can add another attacking player.

For West Ham, it is a goal scorer right here & now. He is 31 this summer & doubtful any side would have looked at him as a headline recruitment then.

So was probably last chance for Villa to get any significant amount back on a player they arguably haven't used right. I don't think Dean Smith ever agreed with his signing. At the time he made an oddly cryptic remark about not having signed Watkins to play on the wing.

I certainly don't blame Ings at all for any of the problems the club have had. We hardly ever used him like Southampton did. Will remember his overhead vs Newcastle for many years.

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Seeing Danny Ings, a player in his thirties that's had issues with his knee, go to West Ham for that sort of fee and become West Ham highest paid player shows really what sides like ours are up against.

Teams who use data to find undervalued players like us and Brighton will continue to be the teams who compete with the big money spenders outside of the top 4.

Fortunately for us there aren’t many of them knocking about

On 22/01/2023 at 07:27, The Palace Fan said:

Seeing Danny Ings, a player in his thirties that's had issues with his knee, go to West Ham for that sort of fee and become West Ham highest paid player shows really what sides like ours are up against.

On 23/01/2023 at 16:42, Stan said:

Oh dear

Well, can't say they weren't aware of the risk.

Archived