talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 21 Fixtures - 21-22nd January, 2023

football forum

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villa, for the 1st time in a very, very long time, are actually top of the form table. Nobody with more league points since Unai Emery came in. Most opening wins of any Villa Premier League manager since John Gregory. 

But I do expect MotD will focus on Southampton being screwed over by 2 of their own players being clearly offside for 1 of their 2 disallowed goals. The push on Ramsey for the 2nd being a dodgy ref decision.

• Subscriber

Eerily similar to the games against them / West Ham around a year ago where there was a slither of improvement but we've ultimately still ended up dropping points from a very presentable position. It's not good enough and games like that are the secret killer - I think it speaks volumes how many see it as a decent result. Yes I did expect to lose but it's not a game that'll get the board into action, while passing up probably the best chance of a win before March.

This club would be OK with a refresh but we have an owner so resistant to it.

• Subscriber

Watched our highlights back. We're lucky to draw as I suspected. We were pretty clinical (albeit both very good chances) but there wasn't a load else from us. That March miss is shockingly bad, so presentable. Mitoma is a fantastic player, I really think he'll go to the top. I think we're lucky to not concede a penalty.

The defending for their second is abysmal, MOTD picked it apart very well in that we drop basically everybody back, no outball whatsoever which is ridiculous when we have Vardy and Daka in the squad. You can forgive Vardy somewhat, and I will come to this, because he's getting on a bit but why the hell is Daka being pinned back as far as that? It's ridiculous tactics. You leave him on the half way line and Brighton cannot commit as many forward, and we're likely to get a 3rd if they do. We did this superbly with Vardy for years. Why are we doing it?

That's before the actual defending of the box itself. Amartey awful. Mendy nowhere. If you had said three years ago that we would start Ward, Amartey, Mendy and Thomas in a league game you'd be laughed out of the room - and yet with the exception of Mendy these are managerial decisions. He isn't forced into Ward & Amartey, he chooses them.

He also chooses Vardy who I think is finally done. He looks so poor in nearly everything he does now. It was always going to happen eventually but I think even a struggling Daka is better than him now. Though no striker will thrive in this ridiculous system that yields the third poorest chance creation in the division behind Bournemouth and Crystal Palace, so I have a degree of sympathy. Iheanacho has far too much patience as well, he should be getting out of here while Rodgers seems to still be bulletproof.

We were second best which is no surprise, it's a result that will not alert the hierarchy but the performance wasn't good, I won't be convinced it was at all.

Top in attendance and we didn't capitulate. Why couldn't he have been there against Newcastle or Fulham FFS. He might've had to reconsider. We are stuck with this twat and it's going to nail us if we aren't careful.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rick said:

That disallowed Southampton goal is a fucking disgrace. I really hate every single official in this league, they are not fit for purpose. 

Very soft. There's a push and a slight touch on Ramsey's foot, but not enough for a foul that was harsh on Southampton. 

Having said that, we were lucky not to give away a penalty I thought. Thomas kicked Welbeck on the boot, and I'm surprised VAR didn't overturn the ref's decision. 

The 2nd Southampton disallowed goal definitely looks a bit soft. Even more so with Sky description around it. Only MotD highlighted the treading on the back of Ramsey's ankle in addition to the jostling push in the back. It doesn't seem much, but you would expecting a jump for a header from Ramsey & what the Southampton guy does is everything to put that off. I think it's one of them you take happily in your favour, but would feel done over against.

Villa have been lucky in the last 3 league matches now. Could easily have lost vs Wolves, Leeds & Southampton. Rather than 7 points. I do suspect Leicester may score enough to make it very difficult at Villa Park. Also a chance Arsenal, Man City or both really give a wake up call as to how further off than 3 points or so that Villa still are.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I do suspect Leicester may score enough to make it very difficult at Villa Park

Why xD.

If Maddison is fully fit and playing, then maybe. But we struggle to create, and when we do, we seem to snatch at chances.

I think if we do score, it'll be by the time the game is done after Watkins has bagged a hat-trick...

• Administrator

4th hat-trick of the season.

After a barren and quiet spell, he was written off like Nunez was at the start of the season.

Now Haaland scores a hat-trick and anyone doubting him will probably just go crawling back under a rock :what:.

He's an out-and-out goalscorer that had a small drought. He'll get 40 this season. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

4-0 Mahrez, he just had one disallowed too, he's in great form right now after a slow start to the season

Not sure about that...

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Why xD.

If Maddison is fully fit and playing, then maybe. But we struggle to create, and when we do, we seem to snatch at chances.

I think if we do score, it'll be by the time the game is done after Watkins has bagged a hat-trick...

I do think scoring goals is Leicesters strength right now. Doesn't seem to be too many in the bottom half having so many high scoring draws. I do think it should be an entertaining match for neutrals.

8 minutes ago, Danny said:

Talk of Haaland holding City back was stupid and premature wasnt it? 25 goals scored in just over half a season, incredible.

Yes, unless he gets injured he looks like he'll smash the scoring record. And around the Manchester derby, definitely too much on Haaland & style of play. Probably not enough on Ten Hag adapting the Man United midfield to be a little less pre-melted butter, served on a plate.

33 minutes ago, Danny said:

Talk of Haaland holding City back was stupid and premature wasnt it? 25 goals scored in just over half a season, incredible.

He's got another 17 matches in the premier league and already has 25 goals in 21 matches! Insanity!  ..clearly holding us back

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I do think scoring goals is Leicesters strength right now. Doesn't seem to be too many in the bottom half having so many high scoring draws. I do think it should be an entertaining match for neutrals.

Yes, unless he gets injured he looks like he'll smash the scoring record. And around the Manchester derby, definitely too much on Haaland & style of play. Probably not enough on Ten Hag adapting the Man United midfield to be a little less pre-melted butter, served on a plate.

also not enough on him being in plenty of useful positions and just not being passed to

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

The 2nd Southampton disallowed goal definitely looks a bit soft. Even more so with Sky description around it. Only MotD highlighted the treading on the back of Ramsey's ankle in addition to the jostling push in the back. It doesn't seem much, but you would expecting a jump for a header from Ramsey & what the Southampton guy does is everything to put that off. I think it's one of them you take happily in your favour, but would feel done over against.

Villa have been lucky in the last 3 league matches now. Could easily have lost vs Wolves, Leeds & Southampton. Rather than 7 points. I do suspect Leicester may score enough to make it very difficult at Villa Park. Also a chance Arsenal, Man City or both really give a wake up call as to how further off than 3 points or so that Villa still are.

We've scored 3 goals in 6 games against PL opposition since we've come back from the World Cup. Survive a Maddison or Tielemans long ranger and you'll be fine as we're back to being a guarantee to give 2 goals up every game again.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived