talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 3-2 Man Utd - Sunday 22nd January, 2023

football forum

6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Just a poor attempt to time waste... looks sad though going down like that screaming in agony, makes you wonder if he is like that when someone bumps into him in the shops... xD

Pleased for Arsenal, they looked a little more polished and these are the games they need to be winning if they want a good crack at the title.. 

Wind your neck in. He could have been killed!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
48 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

5pts clear in January but that's the title done 😂

Okay maybe not done but they've come through a test like today with a last minute goal. It's like things are falling in place for then. I think they'll do it :what:

It's hardly an outlandish thing to say. 

17 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Needed that win! Scoreline was closer than it should've been but who cares? Man City still favourites in my opinion, not gonna be comfortable until we've faced them and won.

Your favourites right now, even if we beat you twice you still have a 2pt lead  ..17 games to go, going to be interesting

10 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Fucking yes! Massive win and fully deserved. 

Fernandes and De Gea should be embarrassed trying to waste time to get a point. This is Arsenal v Man Utd, shouldn't they be trying to win the match? 

Bruno Fernandes has always been a shithousing rat. Richarlison levels.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Bruno Fernandes has always been a shithousing rat. Richarlison levels.

He was almost begging the ref to book Antony and not himself when they fouled Zinchenko. Horrible player. 

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

We were all begging him to send Antony off if we’re honest.

The absolute definition of a show pony, Dutch league signings mostly never work out in the premier league. I can’t really talk though Gakpo has had 4 stinkers on the bounce.

Antony looks quite tidy to the eye, but over the course of a game you start to realise he doesn't really seem to do anything apart from pick the ball up on the touchline, cut in a few yards a play a square ball inside. 

He doesn't really have the pace or directness of a proper winger or the creativity of a wide playmaker sort of guy. 

Not down about the defeat at all, we showed we're competitive. 

A few signings in the summer and ETH will have us in the title race. 

I actually think Casemiro in the eleven today and we'd have won that match.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Devil said:

I actually think Casemiro in the eleven today and we'd have won that match.

We can't rely on one player to win a game, we can rely on one player to be a dud and lose us a game, Antony, he should wing his way back to wherever.

I would imagine @Gunnersaurus was at the game as he has not posted in here, might be creaming his jeans as his gunners beat United, the title is yours buddy for the taking...so far. :coffee:

This doesn’t really relate to any United fans on here, but there has been an arrogance from a lot of United fans, fan channels and whatever else over the last couple of weeks.

There seems to be this notion at times that “United are back” or that they could be on their way to that. You see it from ex-pundits when they talk about the Man Utd way and the standards at the club.

The fact is that the mammoth, all encompassing Man Utd team that managed to find points from nothing, could drive on and just out fight and outthink an opponent was not something that was directly related to the club or the culture of the club as a whole, but it was related specifically to Alex Ferguson and how he managed the team. Because he managed successfully for so long these standards became to be seen as something that is ingrained in the club, but the fact is they came to the club with him and left with him.

There have been times the past few years under Mourinho, under Ole and now under ten haag where a bit of sustained success has created a hype around the club that United are back, United are in for the league, a manager is meeting the standards of the club. But those standards don’t exist and they were never top down. We saw it when Mourinho finished 2nd but 19 points behind City, when OGS secured a 3rd and 2nd place finish but they were 2 of the lowest points totals for those league finishes in something like 15-20 years with an odd exception. Little in that to suggest that United were back in for a title race but it didn’t stop a lot of fans/pundits to begin reminiscing about this mythical standard that exists at the club. Ultimately this departure from reality prevented a lot from seeing United were nowhere near long-term success and importantly, Man Utd have no great natural right to major silverware.

This attitude has reared its head again after a string of good results under ETH, talks of United could be in for the title again…we’ve been here before. Ultimately they were there for the taking against Palace and have lost to the league leaders today, I think a lot of fans/pundits need to seperate their view of the club now versus what it was under Ferguson. That divine right Fergy created to win, to find goals and wins so late on in a game doesn’t exist anymore. Instead a humility is needed and a focus needs to be solely on what ETH is doing at the club, rather than trying to reconnect dots between ETH’s United and Fergy’s.

Great game, great result and great 3 points. More than anything, enjoying the beautiful free flowing football by Arsenal, very entertaining.

Still have a feeling City might win the title, unless Arsenal get at least two points against them in two games. 

Great to see Nketiah bagging a brace today. Got a lot of time for him for when he was with us.

Nketiah-1190060.jpg

I think there's been nagging doubts since news of Gabriel Jesus' injury that Arsenal would need to replace him but having watch Nketiah a lot recently, I think he's been brilliant leading the line, it's just today he's been rewarded with the goals for his work.

He's 23 now, time for him to kick on and establish himself as more than a back up and you never know, if he can do that, he may well force his way into the England set up.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Danny said:

On a side note, that Rashford celebration was embarrassing all things considered wasn’t it

What was it? I didn't catch it but didn't hear or see much said about it in the immediate aftermath of it. 

21 minutes ago, Danny said:

This doesn’t really relate to any United fans on here, but there has been an arrogance from a lot of United fans, fan channels and whatever else over the last couple of weeks.

There seems to be this notion at times that “United are back” or that they could be on their way to that. You see it from ex-pundits when they talk about the Man Utd way and the standards at the club.

The fact is that the mammoth, all encompassing Man Utd team that managed to find points from nothing, could drive on and just out fight and outthink an opponent was not something that was directly related to the club or the culture of the club as a whole, but it was related specifically to Alex Ferguson and how he managed the team. Because he managed successfully for so long these standards became to be seen as something that is ingrained in the club, but the fact is they came to the club with him and left with him.

There have been times the past few years under Mourinho, under Ole and now under ten haag where a bit of sustained success has created a hype around the club that United are back, United are in for the league, a manager is meeting the standards of the club. But those standards don’t exist and they were never top down. We saw it when Mourinho finished 2nd but 19 points behind City, when OGS secured a 3rd and 2nd place finish but they were 2 of the lowest points totals for those league finishes in something like 15-20 years with an odd exception. Little in that to suggest that United were back in for a title race but it didn’t stop a lot of fans/pundits to begin reminiscing about this mythical standard that exists at the club. Ultimately this departure from reality prevented a lot from seeing United were nowhere near long-term success and importantly, Man Utd have no great natural right to major silverware.

This attitude has reared its head again after a string of good results under ETH, talks of United could be in for the title again…we’ve been here before. Ultimately they were there for the taking against Palace and have lost to the league leaders today, I think a lot of fans/pundits need to seperate their view of the club now versus what it was under Ferguson. That divine right Fergy created to win, to find goals and wins so late on in a game doesn’t exist anymore. Instead a humility is needed and a focus needs to be solely on what ETH is doing at the club, rather than trying to reconnect dots between ETH’s United and Fergy’s.

It took a last minute goal for Arsenal at the Emirates to beat us, that without our best player.

I'd say this new United is not in any way comparable to Mourinho, Van Gal or Ole's teams. ETH is on the right path, he will need another window but I fully expect us to be challenging for the title over the next few years. 

I'd say judge us at the end of the season, but in terms or being back, I'd say we're as close now as we have ever been to that being reality.

18 minutes ago, Devil said:

It took a last minute goal for Arsenal at the Emirates to beat us, that without our best player.

I'd say this new United is not in any way comparable to Mourinho, Van Gal or Ole's teams. ETH is on the right path, he will need another window but I fully expect us to be challenging for the title over the next few years. 

I'd say judge us at the end of the season, but in terms or being back, I'd say we're as close now as we have ever been to that being reality.

I’m not judging you now because I know you are a work in progress, but that is entirely the point I’ve been making, the first sign of some consistent success on the pitch and again we’re talking about United winning the league without any sort of evidence or long-term for to back it up.

My overall point is that whilst you maybe a better team than under OGS or Mourinho you are still far away, much in the way they were, from being the United we saw under Ferguson. But this nostalgia of what Man Utd should look like means that short-term successes are consistently held up as if they are going to lead to major success, rather than what they actually are, a decent run of form that is pretty far away from the elite sides in the league.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived