talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 3-2 Man Utd - Sunday 22nd January, 2023

football forum

27 minutes ago, Stan said:

What was it? I didn't catch it but didn't hear or see much said about it in the immediate aftermath of it. 

He done his point to the head celebration when United took the lead, but he purposely walked towards a corner of Arsenal fans to do it as if to say to them that they are being imposed on again by United.

Saka done the same celebration to the same corner when they took the lead and then of course United lost in the end.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
33 minutes ago, Danny said:

He done his point to the head celebration when United took the lead, but he purposely walked towards a corner of Arsenal fans to do it as if to say to them that they are being imposed on again by United.

What's embarrassing about it? 

I've seen much worse...

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

What's embarrassing about it? 

I've seen much worse...

Just embarrassing to stare out fans after scoring, give it large and then lose the game. Not the end of the world but still embarrassing. Happened to us this season against Fulham

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Danny said:

Just embarrassing to stare out fans after scoring, give it large and then lose the game. Not the end of the world but still embarrassing. Happened to us this season against Fulham

They've just gone 1 up at the time. He's not going to know they'll go on to lose the game xD

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

Antony looks quite tidy to the eye, but over the course of a game you start to realise he doesn't really seem to do anything apart from pick the ball up on the touchline, cut in a few yards a play a square ball inside. 

He doesn't really have the pace or directness of a proper winger or the creativity of a wide playmaker sort of guy. 

He reminds me of my washing machine. Clean, spins, but is kinda broken and leaky. 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

He does that celebration every goal. It’s got absolutely nothing to do with ‘imposing himself’. It’s literally about him being in a better head space since his mental health and physical trouble last year.

Jesus fucking wept.

• Subscriber

Scoreline flatters Man Utd for me. Arsenal superior again. They are the real deal. On course for 100 points at the half way stage. That's some effort. They will win this league.

10 hours ago, Danny said:

On a side note, that Rashford celebration was embarrassing all things considered wasn’t it

To be fair United fans were the other end. He may have decided his knee slide thing could seem more provocative in front of Arsenal fans.

I think it's a popular 'mentality' thing at the 'big' clubs. And probably meant more for the cameras. Even making an England point (& Saka perhaps did bite)

Fairly sure Liverpool, or Klopp are all about being 'mentality monsters'  which I think is about believing you are the player & the club to win the match, the medals, etc.

Leon Bailey has done similar pointing to his head thing now a few times, for Villa. I'd imagine having spent a year around Steven Gerrard may be the reason.

It all gets a bit intangible & difficult to quantify, but I do think Man United probably need to think about doing things more the Liverpool way, because City seem set to be out-Fergie-Uniting them for a long time yet.

That particular 90's to 2000's prime Fergie domination era did have plenty of home grown talent; the Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes, Butt & Giggs. But went around buying Cantona from Leeds, Keane & Ince were bought in. Cole from Newcastle, Ferdinand from Leeds,  Yorke from Villa, Sheringham. They found Schmeichel. Vidic. Got Rooney off Everton. Got Ronaldo.

I have heard Roy Keane gloriously miss the point they can't win like that any more. City are the 1 with guaranteed medals & top money. Lots of clubs have money. Chelsea buy 80% of all Ronaldo possibilities. And the United fan presenter off TalkSport (the transfer expert with the beard) always talks like he hasn't quite figured it out either. 

7 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

He does that celebration every goal. It’s got absolutely nothing to do with ‘imposing himself’. It’s literally about him being in a better head space since his mental health and physical trouble last year.

Jesus fucking wept.

Ive seen the celebration before, he clearly made a point of doing it to the Arsenal fans this time rather than just celebrating. Otherwise Saka woouldnt have done it back.

Didn’t think this was gunna cause a discussion lol. He very clearly gave it large to the fans after scoring, then went onto lose the game. It happens, still embarrassing

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Dan said:

Scoreline flatters Man Utd for me. Arsenal superior again. They are the real deal. On course for 100 points at the half way stage. That's some effort. They will win this league.

@Whiskey

• Administrator
44 minutes ago, Danny said:

Ive seen the celebration before, he clearly made a point of doing it to the Arsenal fans this time rather than just celebrating. Otherwise Saka woouldnt have done it back.

Didn’t think this was gunna cause a discussion lol. He very clearly gave it large to the fans after scoring, then went onto lose the game. It happens, still embarrassing

You're embarrassing. 

• The topic was unpinned
2 hours ago, Danny said:

You genuinely couldn’t be more wrong on this.

Great win. Could of been by more but I'm glad we were tested. If man utd had played really bad and we had won 3 or 4.0 it would have been harder to see where we are at mentally. But being tested showed we have the mental strength to really push for the title. Fairly even first half but we had man utd pinned in for most of the second half. I still maybe have city as slight favourites but we definitely can win it. 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Danny said:

Tbh just an overly argumentative mood over nothing but I thought that post was admitting that I’m probably wrong

To be fair, there's plenty out there on what the celebration means and that it does relate to being in a better headspace. 

The result was fair considering that Arsenal was easily the better team most of the game. The absence of Casemiro was so obvious that McTominay was just standing as a cone in the midfield in the whole game with terrible positioning and non-existence distribution. Eriksen can't do all that running as much as he tried since almost in every game, after 60-70 minutes, he is out of stamina. Antony, while he is helping with the defensive duties, he doesn't offer much in the attack because everyone figured out he is limited and predictable of what he will do, I know it's his first season in a new league and all that so hopefully with the return of Sancho (and hopefully he did some good progress), there will be more competition in that position. It's a shame that Wan-Bissaka is such a great athlete and can pull some decent tackles but his football knowledge is similar to my mom's and she never watched a football game, and his position is atrocious. I guess there is a reason Dalot is so far ahead of him. As for Weghorst, we got what we paid for, not bad at linking up with players but don't expect anything else. It's so obvious that Rashford has too much freedom from Ten Hag to produce stuff on his own, be it shooting whenever he can, dribble and all that (even tho he loses the ball a lot of times), but he is the only one that is capable of doing something like that in the team right now. Garnacho should have been brought earlier since he, together with Rashford, are the only ones from the attacking options, that can produce something out of nowhere.

The team definitely needs players and the top 2 priorities are a striker that won't go missing after being out of form or injured (hello Martial) and a central midfielder, then we can focus on depth for the bench.

Also nothing wrong with the celebration, no need to invent fantasy stories.

Edit: Also these ex United players must be the most miserable bunch of people, people like Roy Keane and Scholes are a cancer for the club since the day they retired.

Still dont want to think that Arsenal will win the title... shows how great Pep and Man City are and how scared I am about them. As good as Arsenal are currently, I still think they are one good injury away from dropping a few precious points. Im not saying they would blow their season off, but have a chance they might narrowly lose to City by the end of the season and I want to be proven wrong. 

I obviously wanted them to lose, but this Arsenal side is different to the one from the previous seasons. Excellent game and fully dominated and deserved the three points. People still talking about them and slipping as was i, but i don't think it will happen. City will obviously be there till the last game but if they keep their key players injury free this could be Arsenal's season. Long way to go but a outstanding season for Arsenal.

20 hours ago, Devil said:

Not down about the defeat at all, we showed we're competitive. 

A few signings in the summer and ETH will have us in the title race. 

I actually think Casemiro in the eleven today and we'd have won that match.

Not sure how he would have made a huge difference, all three goals came from the wings/crosses for Arsenal. Dude would have probably put in a couple of rough challenges, thumped his chest and gotten a yellow if anything.

Never liked him at Madrid too, he got away way too many times with his dirty fouls and I was very glad he got a yellow last game where he made a tackle and got nowhere close to the ball, several of those went unpunished in spain. He is sergio ramos Jr, and a walking yellow (and a half).

Archived