talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds 0-0 Brentford - Sunday 22nd January, 2023

football forum

• Administrator

Kick-off 14.00

Live on Sky Sports

1200px-Leeds_United_F.C._logo.svg.png        VS    1200px-Brentford_FC_crest.svg.png

Last 3 Meetings
03/09/2022 - Brentford 5-2 Leeds
22/05/2022 - Brentford 1-2 Leeds
05/12/2021 - Leeds 2-2 Brentford

Recent Form
Leeds - LWWWW
Brentford - WLWWD

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting pretty desperate for a league win now, done enough to win the last two league games and only a point to show for it. Got to start winning some games, especially at home again.

Sometimes you don't always get what you deserve in Football, however at the same time, the reason we haven't won isn't just down to bad luck, it's also because we've given away stupid silly goals. We even went to sleep in the week and let Cardiff score two at 5-0 up.

I've absolutely no confidence in this defence, Brentford bag at least one today which means we are going to need to score two minimum to stand a chance of three points. It's pressure on our attack to be clinical but equally, that is at least our strongest area on the pitch.

Really hoping scoring some goals in tje week against Cardiff upped the confidence after missing so many chances v Villa.

At least now with the return to fitness of Bamford (who does look sharp when he's come on) and Sinisterra, plus the Rutter signing, means our bench options today look strong and we don't have to just rely on Greenwood and Gelhardt now.

• Administrator

A scrappy game with little quality so far.

Leeds trying to get Gnonto on the ball a lot as their attacking outlet, but he is getting crowded out now by Brentford defenders.

Not one clear cut opportunity yet.

• Administrator

Brentford's defence was praised by the commentators just before HT for keeping Leeds out, but they've not once praised Leeds' defence or organisation for keeping the likes of Toney, Jensen, Mbuemo, Da Silva quiet...

Frustrating game that. One of them one's where we've definitely played better but also, we've probably done enough in the Second half to nick that. Final third quality though really needed to be better, especially when we were in promising positions and that's what cost us three points.

First half was far too scrappy, probably credit to Brentford for being well organised and forcing us to try and play narrow which isn't our way at all. Forced passes going astray and a couple aimless long balls.

Second half was much better from us, and if there was going to be a winner it would have been us because Brentford didn't really show much in the way of ambition but then I also feel like they didn't want to lose that today at all costs.

I think they were more worried about what we could do with our attacking options than backing themselves to score past our defence. That was as comfortable a clean sheet as we've had all season and we do not keep clean sheets often, Meslier was a virtual spectator.

Marsch didn't make a sub till the 70th minute. Way too late. Should have had Bamford on way before that, it was more his game today against a physical defence.

All in all, we'll take the point but that's now three winnable games on the trot pass us by and I simply don't think Marsch is getting enough out of what he has.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Frustrating game that. One of them one's where we've definitely played better but also, we've probably done enough in the Second half to nick that. Final third quality though really needed to be better, especially when we were in promising positions and that's what cost us three points.

First half was far too scrappy, probably credit to Brentford for being well organised and forcing us to try and play narrow which isn't our way at all. Forced passes going astray and a couple aimless long balls.

Second half was much better from us, and if there was going to be a winner it would have been us because Brentford didn't really show much in the way of ambition but then I also feel like they didn't want to lose that today at all costs.

I think they were more worried about what we could do with our attacking options than backing themselves to score past our defence. That was as comfortable a clean sheet as we've had all season and we do not keep clean sheets often, Meslier was a virtual spectator.

Marsch didn't make a sub till the 70th minute. Way too late. Should have had Bamford on way before that, it was more his game today against a physical defence.

All in all, we'll take the point but that's now three winnable games on the trot pass us by and I simply don't think Marsch is getting enough out of what he has.

You definitely deserved the win based on the 2nd half. Toney didn't get a sniff barring a half-chance of a header, but you tried to create a goal more than Brentford did. Could feel the urge and will from the crowd which then did die down a bit, but if anyone was going to get a goal it would/should have been Leeds. 

Rutter is a decent acquisition. Perhaps he and Bamford gives you enough of an option up front to get the goals you need. Thought Gnonto did well and tried the hardest to create something. Like a little rocket when he gets going.

• The title was changed to Leeds 0-0 Brentford - Sunday 22nd January, 2023
1 hour ago, Stan said:

You definitely deserved the win based on the 2nd half. Toney didn't get a sniff barring a half-chance of a header, but you tried to create a goal more than Brentford did. Could feel the urge and will from the crowd which then did die down a bit, but if anyone was going to get a goal it would/should have been Leeds. 

Rutter is a decent acquisition. Perhaps he and Bamford gives you enough of an option up front to get the goals you need. Thought Gnonto did well and tried the hardest to create something. Like a little rocket when he gets going.

Rutter will need time so cameo appearances off the bench will ease him in I think, but Bamford will definitely be key if he stays fit.

He offers us a physical presence up there and provides us a better outlet, which is not Rodrigo's game at all.

Gnonto is great for sure, but Brentford did well to double up on him today. He may have to get used to that but he's very mature for his age and makes good decisions on the ball, it'll make him a better player in his development.

Honestly, I look at the options we have attack wise, once Sinisterra has a couple games under his belt, Summerville back etc, it's surely got to go for us soon. I just think right now we're so low on confidence because we aren't getting points to reflect our effort, that we need something to go for us to kick us on.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived