talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(SF 1st Leg) EFL Cup 2022/23 - Southampton 0-1 Newcastle - Tuesday 24th January, 2023

football forum

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we will have to channel the same energy we did in the Leicester game as a follow up to the FA cup disappointment. 

the players looked really upset about the draw at selhurst park, when a draw away feels like a loss.

it's a keep it tight, try exploit any gaps and we can't be wasteful.

Vital to score and win because I thought that psychologically we started looking a bit sorry for ourselves in that 2nd half for having done everything right but score. Again. Same every week. It's a lack of composure infront of goal. Rushed finishing ever since the pressure to win arrived against Leeds.

It's time Isak started.

31 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Vital to score and win because I thought that psychologically we started looking a bit sorry for ourselves in that 2nd half for having done everything right but score. Again. Same every week. It's a lack of composure infront of goal. Rushed finishing ever since the pressure to win arrived against Leeds.

It's time Isak started.

Mate you have a good chance of reaching your first final this century. Enjoy it

That was chuffin' cold.

20230124_200134.jpg

So so game. Got better in the Second Half as a contest. Newcastle should have been 1-0 up at HT but finishing was wasteful. They do love a balloon over the bar.

Adam Armstrong was a real menace when he came on for Saints. Pope battering Djenepo was probably a blessing in disguise.

Thought Saints shaded it Second Half but didn't get a goal to show for the pressure. Promising situations in the final third, mainly coming down the right with Walker-Peters and Armstrong, but let down at the wrong moments. Pope's save from Adams was a big turning point. They badly need a quality Number 9 though.

Newcastle won the game by having that extra quality off the bench. Isak is far too good to be back up to Callum Wilson, looked silky when he came on, and just having Saint-Maximin on draws players to him and creates space for others.

They were two wise subs at a time when Southampton were on top. Just shifted momentum back Newcastle's way.

Referee can give himself a pat on the back for being absolutely fucking dreadful. The game got needlessly niggly thanks to him so take a bow.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

I thought newkey got a bit of a jammy goal.

The red card though. When Murphy did the bye bye wave, I'd have nutted him.

Same. Caleta-Car did well to hold back. 

10 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Mate you have a good chance of reaching your first final this century. Enjoy it

If it happens it will be bittersweet. I'm still in mourning, still grappling with how to emotionally deal with not getting our tickets back. It's incredibly galling to see the moments you dreamed of sharing with your father happening without you.

I'll always remember 18 years ago when we couldn't go to the FA Cup semi final at the Millenium Stadium because my dad had to work, he said then don't worry we'll go to the next one. The next one never came and now it never will. It really tears me up.

I'm trying to deal with the grief by telling myself we had our era, this one isn't mine, it belongs to someone else now and to try and accept that. Sometimes my thoughts go towards questioning whether it would be easier emotionally to give up football all together and no doubt I will occasionally question whether to watch the final or not. I'm sure I will if we make it, but the mind is trying to cope.

• The title was changed to (SF 1st Leg) EFL Cup 2022/23 - Southampton 0-1 Newcastle - Tuesday 24th January, 2023
5 hours ago, Stan said:

Same. Caleta-Car did well to hold back. 

DCC was lucky to even be on the field after his professional foul on Almiron.   Almiron was past him,  he took him out when Almiron would have been goal side to either square one or go for goal like he did against spurs.    Caleta Car was the last defender. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

DCC was lucky to even be on the field after his professional foul on Almiron.   Almiron was past him,  he took him out when Almiron would have been goal side to either square one or go for goal like he did against spurs.    Caleta Car was the last defender. 

Pretty sure there was a covering defender running back, so there wasn't a 'denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity'. 'Last Man' isn't the rule. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived