Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

(SF 1st Leg) EFL Cup 2022/23 - Southampton 0-1 Newcastle - Tuesday 24th January, 2023


football forum
 Share

Recommended Posts

we will have to channel the same energy we did in the Leicester game as a follow up to the FA cup disappointment. 

the players looked really upset about the draw at selhurst park, when a draw away feels like a loss.

it's a keep it tight, try exploit any gaps and we can't be wasteful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vital to score and win because I thought that psychologically we started looking a bit sorry for ourselves in that 2nd half for having done everything right but score. Again. Same every week. It's a lack of composure infront of goal. Rushed finishing ever since the pressure to win arrived against Leeds.

It's time Isak started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Vital to score and win because I thought that psychologically we started looking a bit sorry for ourselves in that 2nd half for having done everything right but score. Again. Same every week. It's a lack of composure infront of goal. Rushed finishing ever since the pressure to win arrived against Leeds.

It's time Isak started.

Mate you have a good chance of reaching your first final this century. Enjoy it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was chuffin' cold.

20230124_200134.jpg

So so game. Got better in the Second Half as a contest. Newcastle should have been 1-0 up at HT but finishing was wasteful. They do love a balloon over the bar.

Adam Armstrong was a real menace when he came on for Saints. Pope battering Djenepo was probably a blessing in disguise.

Thought Saints shaded it Second Half but didn't get a goal to show for the pressure. Promising situations in the final third, mainly coming down the right with Walker-Peters and Armstrong, but let down at the wrong moments. Pope's save from Adams was a big turning point. They badly need a quality Number 9 though.

Newcastle won the game by having that extra quality off the bench. Isak is far too good to be back up to Callum Wilson, looked silky when he came on, and just having Saint-Maximin on draws players to him and creates space for others.

They were two wise subs at a time when Southampton were on top. Just shifted momentum back Newcastle's way.

Referee can give himself a pat on the back for being absolutely fucking dreadful. The game got needlessly niggly thanks to him so take a bow.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

I thought newkey got a bit of a jammy goal.

The red card though. When Murphy did the bye bye wave, I'd have nutted him.

Same. Caleta-Car did well to hold back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Mate you have a good chance of reaching your first final this century. Enjoy it

If it happens it will be bittersweet. I'm still in mourning, still grappling with how to emotionally deal with not getting our tickets back. It's incredibly galling to see the moments you dreamed of sharing with your father happening without you.

I'll always remember 18 years ago when we couldn't go to the FA Cup semi final at the Millenium Stadium because my dad had to work, he said then don't worry we'll go to the next one. The next one never came and now it never will. It really tears me up.

I'm trying to deal with the grief by telling myself we had our era, this one isn't mine, it belongs to someone else now and to try and accept that. Sometimes my thoughts go towards questioning whether it would be easier emotionally to give up football all together and no doubt I will occasionally question whether to watch the final or not. I'm sure I will if we make it, but the mind is trying to cope.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to (SF 1st Leg) EFL Cup 2022/23 - Southampton 0-1 Newcastle - Tuesday 24th January, 2023
5 hours ago, Stan said:

Same. Caleta-Car did well to hold back. 

DCC was lucky to even be on the field after his professional foul on Almiron.   Almiron was past him,  he took him out when Almiron would have been goal side to either square one or go for goal like he did against spurs.    Caleta Car was the last defender. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

DCC was lucky to even be on the field after his professional foul on Almiron.   Almiron was past him,  he took him out when Almiron would have been goal side to either square one or go for goal like he did against spurs.    Caleta Car was the last defender. 

Pretty sure there was a covering defender running back, so there wasn't a 'denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity'. 'Last Man' isn't the rule. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

If it happens it will be bittersweet. I'm still in mourning, still grappling with how to emotionally deal with not getting our tickets back. It's incredibly galling to see the moments you dreamed of sharing with your father happening without you.

I'll always remember 18 years ago when we couldn't go to the FA Cup semi final at the Millenium Stadium because my dad had to work, he said then don't worry we'll go to the next one. The next one never came and now it never will. It really tears me up.

I'm trying to deal with the grief by telling myself we had our era, this one isn't mine, it belongs to someone else now and to try and accept that. Sometimes my thoughts go towards questioning whether it would be easier emotionally to give up football all together and no doubt I will occasionally question whether to watch the final or not. I'm sure I will if we make it, but the mind is trying to cope.

I'm very sorry about that mate. My dad is still alive however he is coming up to 66 and was very unhealthy for a long time. Overweight and use to smoke 60 fags a day. He was really upset when England went out the world cup. And I was upset for him as well as we dont know if he will see another one. He really wanted to see them win it again. He supports arsenal mainly because I supported them and he got into it as well. If we win the league it would be nice for him. We've had a difficult relationship and to be honest he is lucky to have one with me and my sister but he is still my dad 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Pretty sure there was a covering defender running back, so there wasn't a 'denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity'. 'Last Man' isn't the rule. 

Yeah it's more complicated than that. If they have far to go or there is a reasonable chance a defender may catch them its not a red. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Saw this today... did make me laugh.. xD

 

good ol Jacob Murphy.   I'm fin with it and it's had the effect of triggering every man and his dog from Southampton.

they are actually spinning nonsense like how they are going to come to st James park and play football.   at some point we will run into another goal glut and we will go 3 up at half time like our stats suggest, we have been ridiculously wasteful, this was the case earlier in the season where we had way to many draws before running into goals at a freakish rate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...