talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cheating/Feigning Injury in the Premier League

I am a huge football fan, but have become totally disillusioned with the blatant level of cheating and diving that goes on in almost every match. Players deliberately shrieking and rolling around on the ground holding parts of their bodies that didn't even get touched. How/why are we allowing this?

• The title was changed to Cheating/Feigning Injury in the Premier League
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I guess that's one of the reasons VAR was brought in to try and stamp some of it out but it doesn't seem to have made any major impact. Players will continue to do for as long as officials allow them to. One potential solution is to make all players regardless of level of injury, go off the field for a set period of time, not just to recieve treatment and then be let on - they would have to wait, for example, 5 minutes until they are allowed back on. 

Unfortunately in sport if one team is prepared to cheat the opposition are kind of forced to as well otherwise they have a disadvantage. Not everything is cheating. Sometimes players go down because they won't get a penalty unless they do even though they would be entitled to. 

Cheating does ruin the game though. But its not a new thing. Its changed a bit though as people use to make illegal tackles if they thought they could get away with it which is still cheating. 

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

@Spikewhat happens in ice hockey? I believe I read an article that games are retrospectively watched and any ‘flopping’ is met with fines and bans?

It’s kinda hard to embellish in hockey. Most contact is pretty intense but when their is embellishment, it’s usually met with a two minute minor. It’s incredibly rare but it happens and I do think they get fined. But I would say it’s not a problem

I’d even say it’s more dangerous to dive in hockey, I don’t think many people want to hit the ice or the boards willingly.

3 hours ago, Pyfish said:

One potential solution is to make all players regardless of level of injury, go off the field for a set period of time,

I would be a fan of this to a degree... I mean if a player gets hurt because of a reckless challenge and had to go off for treatment then his team are suffering because of the actions of the opposition so having to go off is almost like punishing them twice so in that regard I am not a fan.. but with the DeGea incident yesterday as a good example they could have sent him off for 10 minutes for faking being hurt and therefore punishing the players/sides that keep trying it on... 

I am only using this one as an example because it's fresh in my mind... Every team has a player/players that do this type of thing and it needs knocking on the head.. I would be so embarrassed to pull a stunt like that personally.. players like Neymar would be off the pitch for about 60 of the 90 minutes going on previous.. :ph34r: 

It is a curious thing that it happens so blatantly and they still lack the balls to tackle it..  

• Subscriber

As predicted this head injury thing they introduced has been abused. If you go down with a supposed head injury you should have to be subbed. One way to get that out immediately.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Dan said:

As predicted this head injury thing they introduced has been abused. If you go down with a supposed head injury you should have to be subbed. One way to get that out immediately.

Agree.

If not subbed, then at least a concussion time-out for 10-15 minutes. No replacement unless it's deemed you are concussed. Clubs/managers/coaches will soon encourage their own players not to go down faking a heading injury if it meant the rest of the team is at a temporary detriment.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

@Spikewhat happens in ice hockey? I believe I read an article that games are retrospectively watched and any ‘flopping’ is met with fines and bans?

As Spike said they did introduce the embelishment call but yeah its not really an issue in hockey in general. If someones throws their headback on a highstick or launches themselves from a trip they penalize both players is basically how its called. As he says though its rarely called too. 

I do wish in general they would yellow card players more for diving, especially penalties. If the ref or VAR have deemed it not a penalty most of the time its a dive then isnt it? yellow card their ass.

The psyche has changed to the point where going down or exaggerated pain is an automatic habit and not a thought out act the majority of the time.

Retrospect is too late now that auto response has set in. 

Really want needed to happen was Jurgen Klinnsman be jailed for at least 3 months. That would have stopped all this taking hold :ph34r:

Attempting to mislead the referee has been around for a long time.  It's upto the ref and his/her experience to use their intuition with all of this + VAR. Time-wasting is also cheating and very detrimental in certain games for certain teams depending on their needs.  That form of cheating is barely touched upon by fans apart from showing disdain during the match period.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Attempting to mislead the referee has been around for a long time.  It's upto the ref and his/her experience to use their intuition with all of this + VAR. Time-wasting is also cheating and very detrimental in certain games for certain teams depending on their needs.  That form of cheating is barely touched upon by fans apart from showing disdain during the match period.

I think it's also up to the players to not con officials into making that decision in the first place, and not bringing the game into disrepute. Maybe if they didn't act like absolute twats, it might take the heat off officials too.

Time-wasting isn't cheating as such, at least nowhere near feigning injuries where players writhe around as if they need immediate and urgent surgery in a hospital. 

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It is one of the rotten aspects of football culture. I’d say it is the only team sport that has the players and managers actively abusing and harassing the match officials. 

7 hours ago, Spike said:

It is one of the rotten aspects of football culture. I’d say it is the only team sport that has the players and managers actively abusing and harassing the match officials. 

It is. It’s a very different sport indeed mate. I don’t know if one can put it down to its historical standing by comparison to other sports or the fact football/soccer is a culture in itself. “Culture” with humans usually dictates a jealous defence of its supposed “significance” in the grand scheme of things. But looking from the outside in and attempting to be as neutral and impartial as possible... the deception and trickery is rather repulsive tbh.

11 hours ago, Stan said:

I think it's also up to the players to not con officials into making that decision in the first place, and not bringing the game into disrepute. Maybe if they didn't act like absolute twats, it might take the heat off officials too.

Time-wasting isn't cheating as such, at least nowhere near feigning injuries where players writhe around as if they need immediate and urgent surgery in a hospital. 

I get what you’re saying, but think about all the methods used in the attempt to time-waste.

I’m always quite suspicious and hesitant to call for or accept changes in the game. But in other sports such as rugby, when the referee stops the watch, it stops game time. That would sort this particular issue.

As for what you said on cheating putting pressure on the officials which usually carries to refereeing errors, I agree. Although there are refs that absolutely pine for protagonism.

Faking a head injury to stop the game/waste time, as Bruno Fernandes did on sunday, is really disgusting behaviour and an insult to people who actually get serious head injuries. I think there should be retrospective suspensions if players do that. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Bruno played 45 minutes with a sprained ankle,  not sure thats faking injury. 

Every game?

He's play-acted in more than just one game. I'm sure he always didn't have a pre-existing injury xD 

• Subscriber

If anyone gets a head injury, fake or not, they should be pulled out and inspected by the medical staff before being let back onto the field. How a ref gets to take the call or the player themselves is a joke in itself. You start doing a 5-minute minimum timeout and the fake injuries will stop with the added benefit that players get better attention for possible long-term issues. We may even see cases where players hit their own team-mates in the head just so they don't have to deal with them for 5 minutes so it's a win-win for everyone. 

Archived