talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which European League Has The Most Foreigners?

football forum

European-Leagues-Logo.jpg

The Premier League Leads The Foreign Import League Table

The Premier League with 64% of the players registered in England's top division leads the list on Europe's domestic front where foreigners playing within it are concerned.  The English Premier League has a total of 585 players born outside English borders where only 215 of its clubs registered players have been born in England.  Amazingly, Belgium's Jupiter Pro League comes in at second with 60.1% of its players being foreign and in third spot the Cypriot First Division on 56.4%.

Spain's La Liga Santander incredibly has the least amount of foreign registered players playing within it with only 42.8%.  The highest foreign representatives within La Liga Santander is ruled by Argentinians which is understandable with 34 players.  The next most representative nationality in Spain's top division is Brazilians with 30 players and in third spot French players with 29 footballers.

1. Premier League 64%
  2. Jupiter Pro League 60,1%
  3. First Division 56,4%
  4. Ligan NOS 56.1%
  5. Gibraltar Premier Division 55,8%
  6. Scottish Premiership 53,2%
  7. Bundesliga 53%
  8. Serie A 52%
  9. Turkish Supeliga 51,8%
  10. Super League (Suiza) 49,2%
  11. Malta Premier League 44,9%
  12. Ligue 1 (Francia) 43,4%
  13. La Liga 42,8%

España tiene la Liga con menor porcentaje de extranjeros

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Harry said:

2 of 5 in Spain. 3 of 5 in England.... I'm surprised the gap isn't larger....

Actually that's a big difference when you consider we're talking about 20 clubs in each respective league. It's about each European nation's top division only.

The main issue as far as I'm concerned lies in the medium to smaller sized clubs because the massive clubs in each league buy the best that they can get from anywhere. Those "smaller" clubs are almost forced to search from either within their respective academies or national divisions.

The other issue is in my view a cultural one in the sense of well run academies and the type of player being nurtured from a very young age. That's getting much better in England but is still some way behind. The worst part is the mindset of the coaches. 

• Subscriber

64% is a complete embarrassment for English football and it'll get higher as well. I reckon it could actually hit 70% in the next few years and what a farce that is.

It highlights a huge flaw in our system.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Actually that's a big difference when you consider we're talking about 20 clubs in each respective league. It's about each European nation's top division only.

The main issue as far as I'm concerned lies in the medium to smaller sized clubs because the massive clubs in each league buy the best that they can get from anywhere. Those "smaller" clubs are almost forced to search from either within their respective academies or national divisions.

The other issue is in my view a cultural one in the sense of well run academies and the type of player being nurtured from a very young age. That's getting much better in England but is still some way behind. The worst part is the mindset of the coaches. 

There are too many vicious cycles as well. You only have to look how much Watford and Burnley were asking of us for Deeney and Keane respectively.

I think we're quite a good example of a problem really. We have a decent English spine in the team but our academy is horrendous. We've invested in it and yet we're still stuck in the mindset that pace and power triumphs above all. I bet there isn't a single club in La Liga or the Bundesliga with a poorer academy than ours.

• Subscriber

You always love a homegrown talent even more imo. I think it's why the current connection between fans and players at our club is as strong as I remember. Walker, Rose, Alli, Dier, Kane etc.

• 1 month later...

Archived