talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Sack Frank Lampard; Sean Dyche Set to Take Charge

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Massive shame. Of all the failed managers who were probably doomed before they set foot in the place, he was one of the most likeable and made a genuine effort to bring the fans and club together. Sadly, though, it's just not been good enough from him. Ultimately kept us up last season and managed to tread water through the early part of the season but the recent form before and after the World Cup has been absolutely abysmal. He's not been dealt an amazing hand taking us over but it's still a significant under performance to be where we are.

I'll keep saying it though. No single manager, player or director of football can be said to be the common factor in Everton's failings that span years and years. That honour now belongs solely to Farhad Moshiri and Bill Kenwright.

Survival relies now on Kevin Thelwell being allowed to pick the next manager without interference from those two absolute muppets. If he is allowed to do his job as director of football and if he's actually worth his salt and pulls off a decent appointment then we might have a chance of staying in the league. Two massive ifs though given our recent history.

This is the thing with big players of the past, many of us don't want to let go.  "Nostalgia is a seductive liar" fits in so many times for so many of us... He's not a very good coach tbh.  But it's about shaking off the  'mea culpa' psychosis and coming to terms with the fact it's not really all that important except for the clubs that fell into the trap and lost the time they invested in the nostalgia infused cloud.

It just needed to be done. Probably a few games earlier. But who would have predicted with a straight face that Forest would pull away toward mid table & Everton would be 19th. Everton really do seem to have done wrong for doing what the likes of certain analysts would have been saying they should have done.

There is often eyebrow raising & scorn from analysts. But when a club who consider themselves too big, too expensively recruited & with plausibly realistic aims of being nowhere near the bottom.. for me, they absolutely have an imperative to act. When being toward the bottom is blatantly where they are.

For me Everton should not be accepting they have big sides involved in the area around them, however many sides in the top half they simply can't expect to compete with, etc, etc.

If the new manager can get that into them from the start, and with some well thought out tactics, there's no reason they can't go on a good run. Certain other clubs have done similar.. with seriously tough looking fixture schedules.

Shame really but as @RandoEFC pointed out anyone going there is going to have a tough time of it currently... Maybe the Premiership is that one step too high for him?? dropping down a league or two where there is less pressure on him might do him good, Joined Chelsea and the pressure was on to get them top 4,Joins Everton and the pressure is on to avoid getting sucked into a relegation battle.. Not the best two back to back appointments he could have had... On the plus side Lampard must be raking it in with all these short term appointments and pay offs.. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Shame really but as @RandoEFC pointed out anyone going there is going to have a tough time of it currently... Maybe the Premiership is that one step too high for him?? dropping down a league or two where there is less pressure on him might do him good, Joined Chelsea and the pressure was on to get them top 4,Joins Everton and the pressure is on to avoid getting sucked into a relegation battle.. Not the best two back to back appointments he could have had... On the plus side Lampard must be raking it in with all these short term appointments and pay offs.. 

There's pressure in all of these appointments though. Every club has expectations. He hasn't met them at Chelsea or Everton. I don't really know enough about Derby. The playoff run looked good on the face of it but people say he had a lot of favours from Chelsea with loans. Like I said, not my area of expertise.

Rumoured that Bielsa is the number one target but not necessarily reliable sources. Surely that would be an absolutely insane appointment for us. Our squad is the polar opposite to being appropriate for the way he wants to play and, no disrespect to him but he arguably was taking Leeds down last season. He's an unpredictable manager and at an "anything that could go wrong will go wrong" football club like Everton it just isn't what the doctor ordered. Then again I really don't know what is.

The discourse on Twitter needs swerving right now though. Some of our fans calling for Baines or Stubbs to be given a shot or bring back Big Dunc. Others actually seem to think the likes of Pochettino would answer a phone call from us. Off their fucking rockers some of our lot.

Surely they give it to Dyche? He’s a safe pair of hands and I reckon he will get a tune out of that side to grind out results even when not playing well. Sky running with the bs that they like Thomas Frank, as if he would be mad enough to take that on. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

The discourse on Twitter needs swerving right now though. Some of our fans calling for Baines or Stubbs to be given a shot or bring back Big Dunc. Others actually seem to think the likes of Pochettino would answer a phone call from us. Off their fucking rockers some of our lot.

Gerrard is available?....:eek:

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Rick said:

Surely they give it to Dyche? He’s a safe pair of hands and I reckon he will get a tune out of that side to grind out results even when not playing well. Sky running with the bs that they like Thomas Frank, as if he would be mad enough to take that on. 

It's probably not bullshit that this board and owner are delusional enough to think that Thomas Frank would consider it just because Everton are a "big club".

It's a serious push for Bielsa by the sounds of it.

I can't see Bielsa being anything but a disastrous appointment at this stage. Not that I think he's a bad manager, I just don't see how he gets that group of players doing what he wants if he's walking in at the end of January.

• Subscriber

Bielsa is who Moshiri wants and not who Thelwell wants apparently. Could genuinely be a case here of whether the owner, after all these years of regression, can finally stop himself from having to play Football Manager and let the Director of Football do what he's paid for, being the determining factor of whether this club will have a chance of survival or not.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I can't see Bielsa being anything but a disastrous appointment at this stage. Not that I think he's a bad manager, I just don't see how he gets that group of players doing what he wants if he's walking in at the end of January.

100%

If Bielsa was taking over in the Summer to get a full pre season (or even before the World Cup break) then as an Everton fan I'd be very excited.

But Bielsa's methods need time to bear fruit. The intensity of his training sessions, the players learning his system which let's face it, won't be like anything they have learned before because of how fluid and interchangeable it is. I just don't think the timeframe allows for it.

What Moshiri sees is what Bielsa did at Leeds. He used the same crop of players, got them ultra fit and thriving in his system which led to us playing exciting football and winning games. It not only lifted the club, but a city too, out of a depressed state and the relationship between the club and it's fans was like nothing I'd experienced supporting Leeds. He'll feel Bielsa can do that at Everton and there are similarities, but it doesn't feel like the right time for them to do it.

What pisses me off is we caught Everton when they had just got Lampard in around this time last year and that game rocked us. Guess where we go in a few weeks time. Sod's law.

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, Lucas said:

100%

If Bielsa was taking over in the Summer to get a full pre season (or even before the World Cup break) then as an Everton fan I'd be very excited.

But Bielsa's methods need time to bear fruit. The intensity of his training sessions, the players learning his system which let's face it, won't be like anything they have learned before because of how fluid and interchangeable it is. I just don't think the timeframe allows for it.

What Moshiri sees is what Bielsa did at Leeds. He used the same crop of players, got them ultra fit and thriving in his system which led to us playing exciting football and winning games. It not only lifted the club, but a city too, out of a depressed state and the relationship between the club and it's fans was like nothing I'd experienced supporting Leeds. He'll feel Bielsa can do that at Everton and there are similarities, but it doesn't feel like the right time for them to do it.

What pisses me off is we caught Everton when they had just got Lampard in around this time last year and that game rocked us. Guess where we go in a few weeks time. Sod's law.

Pretty much my thoughts. I don't think our players look particularly fit for a Premier League outfit either, and we certainly have one of the least athletic squads in the league overall. A week of Bielsa's training schedule would kill half of them.

And yeah, you'll be fuming if we get a result off you in that game after we've just handed out three points each to Bournemouth, Wolves, Southampton and West Ham.

• The title was changed to Everton Sack Frank Lampard; Sean Dyche Set to Take Charge

Archived