talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Weston McKennie - Juventus to Leeds on Loan

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, there's serious legs to this now.

It's either him or Ounahi and given Angers keep asking for too much, I think we've firmly passed on that one now. Shame as I liked the look of him.

Can't really say I've seen a lot of McKennie at Juventus to make a firm judgement. He seemed 'ok' at the World Cup but then when the USA played, I was focussing more on Tyler Adams and Brendan Aaronson.

If he does come, I hope he gives us more control in games because I still think we look frantic in possession and give the ball away far too much, especially in the final third.

It will be interesting to see if Marsch plans on pairing him with Adams and either pushing Roca further up, or if he see's McKennie as pushing up ahead of Roca and in place of Aaronson whose petered out a bit and looks too lightweight.

McKennie is a good player but I'm worried that the club is going all in on American players just for Jesse.  Do the metrics say that he's a player that's needed or is it just a matter of getting the USMNT gang back together in the hopes that the chemistry will work out?

Edit to add that I think this is a marketing ploy on some level considering the 49ers will likely complete their buyout this summer.  What better way than to advertise as Team USA in the Premier League.  Hope it works out.

Glad he has finally moved to an English club. Has popped up most transfer windows as a rumoured Villa target, under Smith, Gerrard & this month with Emery. This month I'd been reading suggestions Juventus actively wanted to sell, but were struggling to get the player to accept a move anywhere. The American contingent at Leeds could well have been something the player liked as much as Leeds may have.

• The title was changed to Weston McKennie - Juventus to Leeds on Loan

Very happy with that.

You'd like to think McKennie and Adams together, just as they are for their national side, will be massively beneficial for us. They were excellent for the USA against England, I mean, I can't say enough about how good Tyler Adams has been for us.

I hope McKennie helps us get a real grip of the midfield more. We need a bit more control, composure and quality on the ball. Adams is the ball winner, McKennie can be the ball carrier.

Jesse Marsch has no excuses. He's been backed more that Bielsa now and has an embarassment of options to choose from.

And this is just amazingly wholesome.

20230130_210901.jpg

20230130_210905.jpg

Might be nice to meet up with him again after our time in Germany, but if Paul Scholes was difficult, Weston is a total nut case at times and he loves yellow and red cards.  Perhaps Jeese can sort that side out because he is really a fine young guy and an excellent defender when he stops playing like his old friend K Papadopoulus - just as daft as he is....

Could be interesting.

Archived