talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

BBC Salaries

football forum

These are the names of the stars in the top ten salary bands revealed in the annual report.

1. Chris Evans £2.2m - £2.25m

2. Gary Lineker £1.75m - £1.8m

3. Graham Norton £850,0000 - £899,999

4. Jeremy Vine £700,000 - £749,999

5. John Humphrys £600,000 - £649,999

6. Huw Edwards £550,000 - £599,999

7. Steve Wright £500,000 - £549,999

= 8. Claudia Winkleman £450,000 - £499,999

= 8. Matt Baker £450,000 - £499,999

= 9. Nicky Campbell £400,000 - £449,999

= 9. Andrew Marr £400,000 - £449,999

= 9. Stephen Nolan £400,000 - £449,999

= 9. Alan Shearer £400,000 - £449,999

=9. Alex Jones £400,000 - £449,000

10. Fiona Bruce £350,000 - £399,999

https://www.theguardian.com/media/live/2017/jul/19/bbc-publishes-salaries-of-highest-earning-stars-live-updates

LOL, good work if you can get it

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been baffled by the amount of money Chris Evans gets for being annoying on the radio in the morning, but my God do they get poor value for money from Gary Lineker. He may be good at what he does, but what he does is introduces football highlights and asks Alan Shearer questions, occasionally throwing a shit joke into the mix. There must be millions of people in the country who could do that for significantly less money.

Some of the BBC's most high-profile female personalities have called on the corporation to "act now" to deal with the gender pay gap.

Presenters Clare Balding, Victoria Derbyshire and Emily Maitlis are among those who have signed an open letter to Director General Tony Hall.

They urge him to "correct" the disparity over gender pay, which they say has been known "for years".

A BBC spokesperson said progress had been made, but more "needs to be done."

On Wednesday, the BBC revealed the salaries of stars earning more than £150,000.

The salaries, published in the corporation's annual report, revealed two-thirds of its stars earning more than £150,000 are male, with Chris Evans the top-paid on between £2.2m and £2.25m.

Claudia Winkleman - whose name was not on the original letter - was the highest-paid female celebrity, earning between £450,000 and £500,000 last year.

More than 40 signatories include BBC Sport's Sue Barker, BBC Radio 4 Today programme journalists Mishal Husain and Sarah Montague, BBC News and Antiques Roadshow presenter Fiona Bruce and The One Show's Alex Jones.

The report shows "what many of us have suspected for many years... that women at the BBC are being paid less than men for the same work," the letter says.

Pay disparities continue "beyond the list" of those earning more than £150,000, they add, including in areas of production, engineering, and regional and local media.

The letter continues: "Compared to many women and men, we are very well compensated and fortunate.

"However, this is an age of equality and the BBC is an organisation that prides itself on its values.

"You have said that you will 'sort' the gender pay gap by 2020, but the BBC has known about the pay disparity for years. We all want to go on the record to call upon you to act now."

The women say they are "prepared to meet" Lord Hall to ensure "future generations of women do not face this kind of discrimination".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40696402

The controversy around public money basically funding such high wages is fair enough.

The controversy about this somehow being sexist is bullshit though. When it comes to entertainment it's all about star power, public interest and the person's own demands. People wanting "equal pay" not based on those things are ignoring how reality works.

• 2 weeks later...

15 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

What's your postcode so I can report you?

I've got several friends that don't pay it and just tell them to get lost if they come knocking. "We don't watch tv and you're not welcome here please leave" and they swear by it saying they've not paid in years, I renewed because the kids watch C-Beebies but I'm not bothering this time round. It's a organisation manned by total cocksuckers anyway

49 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I've got several friends that don't pay it and just tell them to get lost if they come knocking. "We don't watch tv and you're not welcome here please leave" and they swear by it saying they've not paid in years, I renewed because the kids watch C-Beebies but I'm not bothering this time round. It's a organisation manned by total cocksuckers anyway

In my uni days I would get a letter every month demanding that I book an appointment to let someone into my bedroom to prove to them I do not have a TV. Given that we now know the BBC are paedophiles I am glad I didn't :ph34r:

Fortunately I was on the 5th floor of a key card block so they could never get near enough to snoop. The weird thing is we had a TV in the lounge, paid for by the landlord but the BBC still wanted us to each pay for a licence in our bedrooms as well. I think that is daft.

2 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

In my uni days I would get a letter every month demanding that I book an appointment to let someone into my bedroom to prove to them I do not have a TV. Given that we now know the BBC are paedophiles I am glad I didn't :ph34r:

Fortunately I was on the 5th floor of a key card block so they could never get near enough to snoop. The weird thing is we had a TV in the lounge, paid for by the landlord but the BBC still wanted us to each pay for a licence in our bedrooms as well. I think that is daft.

It's a bit like performing rites society at work when they get on your case for having a radio. As we sat down our way "yeah give me a call about it my number is 0121 do one"

Archived