talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wigan Sack Kolo Toure

football forum

• Subscriber

Wigan Athletic have sacked boss Kolo Toure after he failed to win any of his nine games in charge.

The former Arsenal and Manchester City defender was only appointed as Leam Richardson's successor in November.

However, the Latics took just two points from his seven Championship matches at the helm and are bottom of the table, four points from safety.

They now have a two-week break before returning to action with a trip to Blackburn on Monday, 6 February.

"As tough a decision as this was, the board felt it necessary to give us the best possible chance of remaining a Championship club next season," said Wigan chief executive Malachy Brannigan.

Wigan confirmed that two members of Toure's staff, Kevin Betsy and Ashvir Johal, have also left the club.

The remaining coaching staff will take interim charge of the the first team and Wigan say they are "working quickly to identify and appoint a new manager".

"I'd like to thank Kolo, along with Kevin and Ash, for their efforts during their time at the football club," added Brannigan.

"We know that this time of year is a key period for any football club, ourselves included.

"We will now work swiftly and effectively to ensure the right person is appointed as the next permanent manager of Wigan Athletic, with the immediate objective of remaining in the second tier for next season."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64361824

• The title was changed to Wigan Sack Kolo Toure
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Shaun Maloney: Wigan Athletic appoint former winger as manager

Wigan Athletic have appointed former winger Shaun Maloney as their new boss on a three-and-a-half-year deal.

The 40-year-old replaces Kolo Toure, who was sacked after just nine games in charge on Thursday.

The Latics are bottom of the Championship table and four points adrift of safety.

"I have amazing memories here and created some fabulous moments with teams and with fans, and I'm excited to get started," Maloney said.

"The feeling that I have from those times as a player is a big factor for me. I have been here previously and have always felt a great warmth from the supporters.

"I want the fans to see a team that is giving absolutely everything, fighting to get better and the supporters need to feel that. The connection is there, we just need to reawaken it."

The former Scotland international made 91 appearances across four seasons with the Latics and was part of the team that won the FA Cup final in 2013.

He moved into coaching with Celtic, where he had started his playing career, before joining the staff of ex-Wigan boss Roberto Martinez with Belgium.

Hibernian gave him his first job in management in December 2021 but he was sacked last April after winning just six of his 19 games in charge.

He now becomes Wigan's third manager of the season after Leam Richardson was sacked in November and replaced by rookie boss Toure, who failed to win any of his nine games.

Maloney's first game in charge will be a home game against promotion hopefuls Blackburn a week on Monday, 6 February.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64439406

Archived