• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tyre Nichols - 5 Officers Charged With Second Degree Murder

football forum

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Just been reading about this. Absolutely heinous what those officers did to this poor lad.

Stopped for drink-driving, then beaten up by 5 officers, while others looked on.

This, from the stepfather, is harrowing :(

"They had beat him to a pulp. He had bruises all over, his head was swollen like a watermelon, his neck was busting, they broke his neck.

Apparently the footage to be released is over an hour long. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apologies, my mistake. 

Yeah, I thought alleging that he was drink-driving makes it sound worse and unsympathetic towards the victim... I did some quick googling, and apparently in Tennessee, the definition of what can be be considered "reckless driving" is pretty vague and up for interpretation of the police officers on most occasions. It can apparently vary from speeding more than a few miles over the limit, following another driver too closely, driving and texting to a fucking drag racing or doing a wheelie on a motorbike. So yeah... This whole story sounds completely mental to me. The police officers were also in unmarked cars apparently, and they weren't even traffic cops? What also struck me as weird were the two charges of aggravated kidnapping for the officers? Oh and Two Memphis Fire Department employees who were part of Nichols’ “initial patient care” were also fired. 

Either way, while it's quite well established that careers at law enforcement often attracts psychopaths, the US cop "culture" really takes the cake when it comes to that. There were apparently at least 1176 people killed by the police in the US last year, that's almost 100 a month :| That's more than police in most other countries kill in years...

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah, I thought alleging that he was drink-driving makes it sound worse and unsympathetic towards the victim... I did some quick googling, and apparently in Tennessee, the definition of what can be be considered "reckless driving" is pretty vague and up for interpretation of the police officers on most occasions. It can apparently vary from speeding more than a few miles over the limit, following another driver too closely, driving and texting to a fucking drag racing or doing a wheelie on a motorbike. So yeah... This whole story sounds completely mental to me. The police officers were also in unmarked cars apparently, and they weren't even traffic cops? What also struck me as weird were the two charges of aggravated kidnapping for the officers? Oh and Two Memphis Fire Department employees who were part of Nichols’ “initial patient care” were also fired. 

Either way, while it's quite well established that careers at law enforcement often attracts psychopaths, the US cop "culture" really takes the cake when it comes to that. There were apparently at least 1176 people killed by the police in the US last year, that's almost 100 a month :| That's more than police in most other countries kill in years...

It really is indicative of how fucked up it is over there.

The staggering and destructive abuse of power across the board in US policing is astonishing.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, nudge said:

This whole story sounds completely mental to me. The police officers were also in unmarked cars apparently, and they weren't even traffic cops? What also struck me as weird were the two charges of aggravated kidnapping for the officers? Oh and Two Memphis Fire Department employees who were part of Nichols’ “initial patient care” were also fired. 

It sounds pretty weird to me and if something else happened and was trying to be swept under the carpet, unmarked police cars, not traffic cops, aggravated kidnapping? as you said nudge, sounds mental.:134_spy:

I think it's a bit telling how quickly black cops get charged compared to white cops. Not that I'm complaining, these guys deserve to be charged and to face justice for killing this guy.

But it's interesting how quick this city was to: 1.) fire these police, when that's typically not what happens when police do something like this in the US; 2.) how quick they were to conclude that charges were necessary after a brief investigation. I would hope that's not due to the systemic racism of the US and more to do with police reforms being vital and necessary in America.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, MUFC said:

Articles saying he never resisted arrest?

He didn't. Judging from the released videos, he was no threat at any point whatsoever. They literally dragged him out of the car without any explanation, pushed him to the ground aggressively while threatening to break his arms, he was complying, then they tasered and pepper sprayed him, but being the fucking imbeciles like they are, they also pepper sprayed each other and got even angrier. He then panicked and ran, they caught up with him and proceeded to take turns punching his face, kicking his head, and striking him with the baton all while he was held restrained by other cops. One of the cops who accidentally sprayed himself went away for a minute, then returned with his baton out and literally said "I'm going to baton the shit out of you" and then proceeded to strike him while the others were holding him up. Then they left him cuffed and propped against the car where he looked like he was unresponsive/barely conscious already, and then they were just casually chatting among themselves while he was denied medical aid for 16 minutes.

Fucking psychopaths on a power trip, it's a straight out execution. I hope his family gets justice.

• Administrator

The more I think about it, the more I struggle to fathom just what went through those police officers' minds. What was their motive? What possessed them?! 

Even the ones that turned up with medical equipment before the ambulance arrived. Just watching a man sloped up against a car, and even when Tyre collapses to his side, they still don't act. 

Yeah, fine, arrest someone. But where's the humanity of it all? 

It made me feel physically nauseous seeing some of the footage. Sick to the pit of my stomach.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wow

Isn't the 'bail' system different in US? As in, bonds are posted and you get to leave if that money is paid. 

Whereas UK you can be given bail only if you're not deemed to be a flight risk or a 'danger' or 'threat' to the public.

People that easily get pissed off probably shouldn't be police officers. Or soldiers while we're at it. That should at least be obvious.

If he fought back in any way they'd just kill him and say it was justified. That's how much power the police have in situations and also why they should be punished more harshly than murderers that aren't officers/soldiers.

50 minutes ago, Stan said:

Isn't the 'bail' system different in US? As in, bonds are posted and you get to leave if that money is paid. 

Whereas UK you can be given bail only if you're not deemed to be a flight risk or a 'danger' or 'threat' to the public.

I dunno, I assumed some crimes don’t qualify for bail but I’m not sure.

the cops deserve to face the law no doubt about it, the worst thing about this is how the media (CNN) again used this as an opportunity to espouse anti white racism with general rhetoric associated with racists.

there is a culture of bad policing and decaying American systems driven through the prism of culture war and political ineptitude, but the softballs of trying to tee this up as white peoples fault is endemic of the true racism that is espoused today.

www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

white people shot and killed by cops has won more titles than Man City.  the system is a problem not white people.  

Archived